Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
starlight

Guys, Urgent! there is a snake in my house

Rate this topic

@The Green Knight @hasanhh Anyone else.

I walked in the room saw it on the floor and before I could do anything it slithered under my wardrobe and disappeared. What do I do apart from having a nervous breakdown that I am having?? OMG I am terrified of snakes. How I will kill it is another problem to be handled later but how do I make it appear.

Please don't tell me very few of them are poisonous. It would give me zero piece of mind. I do not want a snale waiting for me in my shoe when I am rushing to get to work in the morning or sitting on my pillow at night. I would not be able to sleep. I am sitting on a chair in front of the wardrobe watching guard but I guess until the light is on it won't come out.

I have namaz to pray, help kids with homework, iron clothes, have a job interview in a couple of hours and I have to prepare for that and here I am sitting on a chair waiting for it to come out.

Did I mention it's hideout is right next to the bathroom the kids use. :cry:

If I do not return to ShiaChat please understand I have succumbed to fear of the unknown snake :byecry: and forgive me for .............my typing mistakes in this post. 

Any duas, any tips?

P.S I sprayed half an aerosol of cockroach killing spray under the wardrobe to make it come out. I do know if it was a good move or bad.

What do I do?? :(

Edited by starlight

Call forest department/police/snake catcher as quickly as you can. Keep children out of your home to neighbor.

When all this is done get a piece of meat from your neighbor and put it near the hideout. Be ready with a cloth and tokri. As soon as it comes for snack, throw the cloth and tokri over it. 

If you're not confident then wait for police or snake catcher. 

Edited by Sirius_Bright

This might take a while.  Is there someone who can help you?  How big is the snake? Can your kids help, or stay somewhere else while you search and exterminate?

You're going to have to check and then get rid of all the hiding places.  A cloth bag on the end of a broomstick might work as a way to capture it if it isn't too big, but I don't have a suggestion for what to do after that, or if it is a big one.  Hopefully someone else has dealt with snakes.  We've had animals in our house, but never a snake and when I find snakes outside I just walk away.

Are you sure it's under the wardrobe?  You can trap it from there.  I had a rat once that went under my desk and got into the drawers. Can you see it?  I don't know anything about tasers.

Just now, Sirius_Bright said:

Call forest department/police/snake catcher as quickly as you can.

Excuse me I live in Pakistan in case you have missed not in a first world country and I do not have any snake catchers on my speed dial.

Just now, starlight said:

Excuse me I live in Pakistan in case you have missed not in a first world country and I do not have any snake catchers on my speed dial.

Google it. There should be something. If not, just call police. I'm sure they'll help. 

1 minute ago, notme said:

Are you sure it's under the wardrobe? 

I saw it going there.

It's not very big, about half a foot long and no we can't go anywhere and there are no exterminators where I live. 

Darn!

4 minutes ago, Sirius_Bright said:

police.

Pakistani police in my house? No thank you. I rather have the snake.

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

I saw it going there.

It's not very big, about half a foot long and no we can't go anywhere and there are no exterminators where I live. 

Darn!

You need a cat!

I’m screaming right now, I hate snakes just like how I hate satan. I’m sorry but you need to know if it’s venomous or no. If it has a diamond shaped heads and eyes, that means it’s venomous. If round head and eyes, that means it’s non venomous.

12 hours ago, notme said:

You need a cat!

The cat will get killed. 

Just now, starlight said:

Pakistani police in my house? No thank you. I rather have the snake.

Are they that bad? 

Anyways, cloth technique should help. A cloth, heavy blanket or large object should help. 

3 minutes ago, starlight said:

Okay I will offer namaz and pray for it to die. 

Don't take any undue risk sister. Sort this first. 

the room the snake is in should be completely closed off until help arrives.

Using rolled towels or sheets, stuff the gaps under your appliances and furniture, moving as slowly as you can so you don’t startle the snake. Once everything is blocked off, close off the room so the snake cannot escape that way, either. 

http://www.snake-removal.com/house.html

12 hours ago, starlight said:

What do I do apart from having a nervous breakdown that I am having??

All I can recommend is the advice I gave Maryam before our treks in the jungles of Borneo. Keep calm, that way if it bites you the poison won't kill you as quickly and you can make it to hospital. Inshallah.

Find a heavy cloth like a coat, thick enough that fangs can't go through. Probably best if it's one that you either can thoroughly wash or don't mind throwing out. Drive the snake out in the open (after first covering/removing all other hiding places) and throw the cloth over it, wrap it up, and throw it out the window or door. 

Or you could try just driving it toward a window or door and out, so you never have to touch it. I don't know if that's feasible in your room. 

The problem with driving or throwing it out is that it might come back. Do you have a bb gun, or does one of your neighbors who might be willing to help? 

Ya ilahi..

If you have knee high boots or galoshes wear them. Make the kids do that too. Any men in the neighborhood your mom can call to come kill it? If you will be able to take a picture of it, take it so incase it needs to be identified you can do so. Or describe its colour and any pattern you may have noticed on it.

The exact same thing happened to me once. I told my children to stay in the other room and I called over a couple of friends from the nearby village and they killed it with a stick. DO NOT use hands or feet or come into its striking range of a couple of feet, snakes strike in the blink of an eye. When hitting it with the killing blow the aim must be the head. Initially with a stick you can hit it anywhere to injure it and break its spine to eliminate its mobility.

I suggest you find someone nearby who grew up in rural area, like a security guard, chowkidar, chai wala, or similar, there must be some of them near you or at your work place. They will make short work of it.

If all else fails, go to a pansar / hakeem / herbal shop. Ask them for "Guggal, Loban and Hermal". If asked tell them its for a snake. Burn these incenses in the room and the snake if present will come out. If you can be both careful and brave you can very easily kill it with a stick yourself since its so small.

Chances are very high the snake is hiding inside the wardrobe and might have climbed up it into the lowest drawer. There is some chance the snake has left if it has been some time and no one was watching. I can imagine the anxiety even after it is killed because you never know if there is more than one or if snakes have a secret hole in the floor or wall or from where they are entering.

Remember as long as you stay a few feet away and use a stick with a steady aim and confidence and your nerves relaxed and in "professional work mode" you will kill it in 2 minutes with my guidelines.

Our prayers are with you. :D

P.S.: If your cockroach spray has poisoned it then the mentioned incense might not make it come out. Don't worry. Have someone help, move the wardrobe, open it, shining a portable light as needed, then feed it the far end of your stick!

Edited by The Green Knight

12 hours ago, starlight said:

@The Green Knight @hasanhh Anyone else.

I walked in the room saw it on the floor and before I could do anything it slithered under my wardrobe and disappeared. What do I do apart from having a nervous breakdown that I am having?? OMG I am terrified of snakes. How I will kill it is another problem to be handled later but how do I make it appear.

Please don't tell me very few of them are poisonous. It would give me zero piece of mind. I do not want a snale waiting for me in my shoe when I am rushing to get to work in the morning or sitting on my pillow at night. I would not be able to sleep. I am sitting on a chair in front of the wardrobe watching guard but I guess until the light is on it won't come out.

I have namaz to pray, help kids with homework, iron clothes, have a job interview in a couple of hours and I have to prepare for that and here I am sitting on a chair waiting for it to come out.

Did I mention it's hideout is right next to the bathroom the kids use. :cry:

If I do not return to ShiaChat please understand I have succumbed to fear of the unknown snake :byecry: and forgive me for .............my typing mistakes in this post. 

Any duas, any tips?

P.S I sprayed half an aerosol of cockroach killing spray under the wardrobe to make it come out. I do know if it was a good move or bad.

What do I do?? :(

have u went to your neighbors? maybe they could help you

Guest Shia Muhammad

InshAllah she is ok, I hope she got it resolved / found someone to help resolve it. Hope she updates us soon. Allah help starlight in this difficult situation.

l had a comic reply, but the computer and l Iost it.

@starlight

One, use glue pads, like for mice to catch it. 

Put some cinammon in a spray bottle and spray that around.

Then sprinkle some cloves in the corners. 

Then stay away from where it is to give it a chance to leave.

Then check around the house.

Edited by hasanhh

Thank you so much everyone. It's been 4 hours. I am exhausted keeping a watch and looking for it. I have told everyone to recite Quls and Ayat ul kursi and go to bed. 

5 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Put some cinammon in a spray bottle and spray that around.

Then sprinkle some cloves in the corners. 

Good idea! Will do right away. 

7 hours ago, starlight said:

We killed it!!! By 'we' I mean Mum. My presence in such situation is merely for noise generating purposes(read war cries). 

On @hasanhh advice I emptied whole bottles cinnamon and clove oils in that room and the one adjacent to it. Also added eucalyptus oil for good measure so either it was this or maybe it just decided to take a midnight stroll that it suddenly appeared on the wall with its head buried under a bit of plaster. I went and woke Mum, not because I was scared or anything ...ahem... I thought maybe she would want to take pictures afterwards or something. Anyway, she decided to take matters in her hands and grabbed one of my boots and attacked it. A couple of minutes later it was lying dead on the floor! Alhumdollilah. Peace and harmony is prevailing in the starlight household again; sipping tea and eating cookies while typing this. 

Thank you everyone for your concern and support. I am so grateful to SCers for being there in yet another 'exciting' situation in my life. May Allah bless you all. 

:NH: