Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AStruggler

Here's Another Marriage/Women Thread for Y'all :p - Hijab as a Measure of Relgiosity? To what extent?

Rate this topic

On 11/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, starlight said:

Thank you @AStruggler for the thread!I also wanted to add a question. Hope you wont mind. Its somewhat related.

If a woman's attire comes in the Islamic guidelines but it makes her look attractive does it still come under hijab? There are certain styles that suit a person and over time you come to know which ones make you look good and you tend to opt for those. Is that okay? Or should we go for the less attractive style? (By less attractive, I don't mean slouchy or untidy it's for example a different cut, or a different shirt length)

My pleasure and no problem.

So, for your question, I will share with you what I think would be an answer, with the support of my humble knowledge of Islam and based on my own humble thinking. I am no scholar or learned person in Islam so keep that in mind:

Your question is more fiqhi in nature, so it's best to ask a good a'lim. However, I think if you observe the rulings of the hijab (which I've mentioned before on this forum), then you should be fine iA. I would say it's a problem when women wear "hijabs" which can act as "zinats" on their own. Wearing hijab, women are to hide any zinats they may be wearing, but when the hijab itself acts as a zinat then it just doesn't make any sense.

The information below is from https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/hijab-dress-modesty-Islam-Sayyid-saeed-akhtar-Rizvi#fref_25306799_6 :

• And say unto the believing women that they cast down their gaze and guard their private parts, and they display not their “Zinat” (adornment) except what becomes apparent of it..." ( Holy Qur'an, 24: 30-31).
  • Zinat: What a human being uses to adorn himself/herself like ornaments, clothes and similar things.
  • 1.   The purpose of the dress is to conceal 'Zinat'. It naturally follows that this cover itself should not be of a kind to attract onlookers to the woman inside. 'Zinat cannot be hidden by a dress which makes people turn their eyes towards the wearer. It is this type of dress which is forbidden in this ayat of the Qur'an: Bedizen not yourselves with the bedizenment of the Ignorance of Yore.

For example, in weddings, we might see "muhajjiba women" wearing their culture's wedding clothes but the clothes might be very bright/vibrant in colour, flashy, "goddy", "chamak-chamak", having a lot of "kaam karawa"...From my understanding of hijab, these types of clothes in front of non-mahram would be a problem.

From my explorations of Islamic laws, a lot of things go by "urf" (common view). For example, I asked a question to Sistani.org about the purity of coyote fur because there are popular jackets that are made with real coyote fur. I was in doubt about the tahara of this animal because they are from the same family as dogs. The response that I got was tha, if these animals are considered by common view ('urf) as dogs then they are najis. Also, I remember a shaykh explaing the rulings of wudhu and how we can only wipe one direction. However, sometimes accidentally what may happen is our hand may very very slightly move here and there due maybe losing balance or any other issues, he said it's fine if the common view would see you doing your wipes in one direction. There are other examples as well.

With the wedding clothes examples I gave above, I think we can all say that by 'urf/common-view, those types of clothes would be considered adorning clothes...

However! With what you have asked about, it seems that you are already fulfilling the laws of hijab but questioning on if it's okay to wear the nicer looking hijba. Honestly, I am no scholar and I do NOT want to misguide you, but it seems like both of these hijabs you are debating between are hijabs formed with normal clothes...In my humble and potentially wrong opinion, if are following the laws of hijab and by common-view/'urf, the clothese that make up your view cannot really be identified as zinat-type of clothes or adorning clothes, but rather normal clothes that look decent..., then it should be fine.

Edited by AStruggler

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

@2Timeless @Moalfas 

Meanwhile this is what @AStruggler is like:

tenor (1).gif

Gifs arent working for me rn :( would've had a great one to symbolise this historic moment! The policemen have turned on eachother! Truly a monumental moment!! 

Edited:

1 hour ago, AStruggler said:

However! With what you have asked about, it seems that you are already fulfilling the laws of hijab but questioning on if it's okay to wear the nicer looking hijab. Honestly, I am no scholar and I do NOT want to misguide you, but it seems like both of these hijabs you are debating between are hijabs made up with normal clothes...In my humble and potentially wrong opinion, if you are following the laws of hijab and by common-view/'urf, the clothes that make up your hijab cannot really be identified as zinat-type of clothes or adorning clothes, but are seen as normal clothes that look decent..., then it should be fine.

2 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Gifs arent working for me rn :( would've had a great one to symbolise this historic moment! The policemen have turned on eachother! Truly a monumental moment!! 

Not so fast! This division which you're trying to create will benefit the "2t led feminist movement". :D