Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammad313Ali

Reference for this quote in Nahjul Balagha

Rate this topic

I don't think it's actually in nahjul balagha, rather shaheed muttahari mentions it in his introduction/commentary of nahjul balagha:

(4) It was the battle of Nahrawan and he himself was fighting like any other ordinary soldier. During this battle a man came to face him and in the encounter lost his sword. He realized his hopeless plight of standing before Ali without any weapon in hand. Ali’s hand was raised for a blow when he saw the antagonist trembling with fear; he, therefore,  lowered his hand slowly and said, “Run away, friend! You are not in a status to defend yourself.” This conciliatory attitude made the man bold, so he said, “Ali! Why don’t you kill me?! It would have reduced the number of your enemies by one!”Ali replied, “I do not strike a man who cannot defend himself. You are begging for your life and it was spared.”The opponent got even bolder and said, “I am told that you have never refused a beggar. Now I beg you for your sword... Will you grant it 
to me?”Ali handed him the sword. Taking possession of the sword, the ungrateful foe said, “Now, Ali, who is going to defend you against me 
and save you from my killing blow?!”Ali  replied, “Allah, of course; He will defend me if He so wills. He has appointed my death to be my guarding angel. None can harm me before it is opportune time is due, and none can save me when it does arrive.” Nobility of thought and action impressed Ali’s foe, so he kissed the bridle of Ali’s horse as he said, “O 
master! You are a great man, indeed. You cannot only forsake the life of 
your enemy in a battlefield but also you can grant him your sword. May I have the honor to act as your bodyguard and to fight for you?” Ali replied, “Friend! Fight for truth and justice and do not fight for 
individuals.”

InshaAllah if I find references for this incident I will share them in this thread. 

Wallahu a'lam 

45 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

I don't think it's actually in nahjul balagha, rather shaheed muttahari mentions it in his introduction/commentary of nahjul balagha:

(4) It was the battle of Nahrawan and he himself was fighting like any other ordinary soldier. During this battle a man came to face him and in the encounter lost his sword. He realized his hopeless plight of standing before Ali without any weapon in hand. Ali’s hand was raised for a blow when he saw the antagonist trembling with fear; he, therefore,  lowered his hand slowly and said, “Run away, friend! You are not in a status to defend yourself.” This conciliatory attitude made the man bold, so he said, “Ali! Why don’t you kill me?! It would have reduced the number of your enemies by one!”Ali replied, “I do not strike a man who cannot defend himself. You are begging for your life and it was spared.”The opponent got even bolder and said, “I am told that you have never refused a beggar. Now I beg you for your sword... Will you grant it 
to me?”Ali handed him the sword. Taking possession of the sword, the ungrateful foe said, “Now, Ali, who is going to defend you against me 
and save you from my killing blow?!”Ali  replied, “Allah, of course; He will defend me if He so wills. He has appointed my death to be my guarding angel. None can harm me before it is opportune time is due, and none can save me when it does arrive.” Nobility of thought and action impressed Ali’s foe, so he kissed the bridle of Ali’s horse as he said, “O 
master! You are a great man, indeed. You cannot only forsake the life of 
your enemy in a battlefield but also you can grant him your sword. May I have the honor to act as your bodyguard and to fight for you?” Ali replied, “Friend! Fight for truth and justice and do not fight for 
individuals.”

InshaAllah if I find references for this incident I will share them in this thread. 

Wallahu a'lam 

Respected brother may Allah increase you in knowledge I thank you tremendously for this <3