Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali~J

Walima in Pakistan, halal or haraam?

Rate this topic

Salaam all, recently I was discussing somethings and the following question arose from discussion:

"Is it better to not even have a Walima in Pakistan if haraam will be present?" 

As you probably know, the Walima is a dinner hosted by the groom and the groom's family. It's highly recommended in the religion...

But the problem is if you host a Walima in Pakistan oftentimes the females will wear a lot of make up, excessive jewellery, no hijab etc etc...

So the question is, if you know that at you Walima these things will happen then should just not host one at all? 

What is your opinion? 

7 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

Salaam all, recently I was discussing somethings and the following question arose from discussion:

"Is it better to not even have a Walima in Pakistan if haraam will be present?" 

As you probably know, the Walima is a dinner hosted by the groom and the groom's family. It's highly recommended in the religion...

But the problem is if you host a Walima in Pakistan oftentimes the females will wear a lot of make up, excessive jewellery, no hijab etc etc...

So the question is, if you know that at you Walima these things will happen then should just not host one at all? 

What is your opinion? 

Walaikum as salaam dear brother.

As you mentioned the walimah is recommended so I don't think you should skip it altogether. However as you also mentioned it should be done within the guidelines of Islam.

I would suggest checking if its possible to do it at an orphanage, for instance, because this is sometimes possible and in my humble opinion much more satisfying than other alternatives. Otherwise you could host it at your family home and invite close friends and relatives. Also I assume there must be an option to have a segregated event?

Wallahu a'lam 

Edited by Mahdavist

20 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

But the problem is if you host a Walima in Pakistan oftentimes the females will wear a lot of make up, excessive jewellery, no hijab etc etc.

That's not your problem.You are following a recommendation in Islam. If someone chooses a nonIslamic attire for the ocassion that's their problem. Women wear makeup with/without hijab at iftaar, milaads, ziyarrats should we stop these too? 

I also didn't understand why you mentioned Pakistan particularly. 

2 hours ago, Ali~J said:

No segregation? Most of the Shi'a weddings in India have either partition in between male and female section or completely different floors. Non-Shia and Non-Muslim weddings are different story. 

Edited by Sirius_Bright

7 hours ago, starlight said:

didn't understand why you mentioned Pakistan particularly. 

It's understandable. Many Pakistani wedding functions are full of dancing, music, ultra fashion clad non-hijabis and no concept of segregation. Young girls dance in front of hundreds of men. It is highly shameful and indecent. The OP has a valid question. There are some religious families who arrange segregation and no music etc. but they are a minority. 

Attending a walima function with ongoing dancing and music is haram, as far as I understand. But its not easy for one to explain to others why you would not attend. This is a huge problem of Pakistani society. May Allah protect us all. 

16 hours ago, starlight said:

That's not your problem.You are following a recommendation in Islam. If someone chooses a nonIslamic attire for the ocassion that's their problem. Women wear makeup with/without hijab at iftaar, milaads, ziyarrats should we stop these too? 

I also didn't understand why you mentioned Pakistan particularly. 

But it would still be in someone's control whether or not to actually host the event knowing that the Haraam would be present... 

I just mentioned Pakistan as that's the only place I've seen this out of the weddings and walima I've attended... 

14 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Take steps to ensure you host it in an Islamic manner. Whether or not your guests attend and behave in an Islamic manner is not up to you.

So if someone hosted this event while knowing that these types of women would be present, then they wouldn't be punished?

14 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

No segregation? Most of the Shi'a weddings in India have either partition in between male and female section or completely different floors. Non-Shia and Non-Muslim weddings are different story. 

Yes there will be some form of segregation but the males of the girl's family and the and the males of the boy's family will be mixed in with the female guests as this is where the bride and groom are seated. 

Edited by Ali~J

2 hours ago, Ali~J said:

So if someone hosted this event while knowing that these types of women would be present, then they wouldn't be punished?

If you invite and arrange for a men only and women only event and even yourselves (the family of the bride/groom) do not violate the rules and enter the womens section/event, why woule it be wrong to hold an event where ladies can let down their hair in a hijabi environment?

2 hours ago, Ali~J said:

Yes there will be some form of segregation but the males of the girl's family and the and the males of the boy's family will be mixed in with the female guests as this is where the bride and groom are seated. 

Why must the bride and groom be seated together? The bride can sit in the females event and the groom in the mens event, and they can do a bride and groom photoshoot after the guests have left or at a separate venue.

20 hours ago, Ali~J said:

the females will wear a lot of make up, excessive jewellery, no hijab etc etc

Would you be able to convince your bride that there will be no beauty parlor, no photo sessions or movie session :D. And you also don't need to buy three piece suit or any other traditional suit, just wear simple pajama & kurta and serve lunch or dinner to the guests. 

41 minutes ago, Logic1234 said:

Would you be able to convince your bride that there will be no beauty parlor, no photo sessions or movie session :D. And you also don't need to buy three piece suit or any other traditional suit, just wear simple pajama & kurta and serve lunch or dinner to the guests. 

Zulm!!! It's her day. She should be allowed to enjoy nice clothes,makeup,hairdo everything but the setting should be halal. I have been to a couple of weddings where there was strict segregation and not only the bride but the whole close family had their hair & makeup done from a salon. They just put on niqaabs when outside.The only communucation between men and women's side were boys around 10.I am highly impressed by their men for providing them such a hijabish environment to dress up and enjoy even though it was a very large scale function. 

7 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

why woule it be wrong to hold an event where ladies can let down their hair in a hijabi environment?

But unfortunately it wouldn't be in a hijabi environment... 

6 hours ago, Logic1234 said:

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, starlight said:

Zulm!!! It's her day. She should be allowed to enjoy nice clothes,makeup,hairdo everything but the setting should be halal. I have been to a couple of weddings where there was strict segregation and not only the bride but the whole close family had their hair & makeup done from a salon. They just put on niqaabs when outside.The only communucation between men and women's side were boys around 10.I am highly impressed by their men for providing them such a hijabish environment to dress up and enjoy even though it was a very large scale function. 

7 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Why must the bride and groom be seated together? The bride can sit in the females event and the groom in the mens event, and they can do a bride and groom photoshoot after the guests have left or at a separate venue.

These are two good points and I personally agree with them but for some reason none of the Walima I've attended have been like this and I don't think that anyone I know would be happy with this idea unfortunately.... 

I respect you for asking this question. You are concerned about being the host of an event where you give people a platform or doorway to sin. In fact, it's very noble of you to think about this. 

As other members have already mentioned, the only solution I see to this is to design/excute the event in a very strict and regulated way so that opportunity and promotion of sin is minimized as much as possible. After that, if indecenceny still occurs, you know you tried your best. 

If you try your best to strive on Allah's path then iA Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will accept your efforts and forgive your shortcomings. 

Edited by AStruggler

Make arrangements like they did a few decades ago and keep a separate entrance and hall / area strictly for women and the other for men, only children allowed in both places. No photographers, no musicians, no Hindu traditions, no capitalism.

Edited by The Green Knight