Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

السلام عليكم

We have certain Ahadith that speak about doing Istikhara with pebbles or rosary. Isn’t that basically the Izlam that was spoken of in Al-Maeda ayah 90?

Another question: if you write names on pieces of paper and let a new born choose one through touching the paper, is this Izlam?

Edited by Hameedeh
Member asked to edit.

7 minutes ago, starlight said:

Can you tell us the verse number?

I’m so sorry. I meant Ayah 90 of Surat Al-Maeda

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنَّمَا الْخَمْرُ وَالْمَيْسِرُ وَالْأَنْصَابُ وَالْأَزْلَامُ رِجْسٌ مِنْ عَمَلِ الشَّيْطَانِ فَاجْتَنِبُوهُ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ﴿۹۰﴾

3 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم

We have certain Ahadith that speak about doing Istikhara with pebbles or rosary. Isn’t that basically the Izlam that was spoken of in Al-Maeda ayah 90?

Another question: if you write names on pieces of paper and let a new born choose one through touching the paper, is this Izlam?

I think it is more of this:

ذَٰلِكَ مِنْ أَنبَاءِ الْغَيْبِ نُوحِيهِ إِلَيْكَ ۚ وَمَا كُنتَ لَدَيْهِمْ إِذْ يُلْقُونَ أَقْلَامَهُمْ أَيُّهُمْ يَكْفُلُ مَرْيَمَ وَمَا كُنتَ لَدَيْهِمْ إِذْ يَخْتَصِمُونَ

These are accounts from the Unseen, which We inspire to you.

You were not with them when they cast their pens as to which of them would take charge of Mary; nor were you with them as they quarreled. (Aali Imraan: 44)

Istikhara by Tasbih Beads by Imam al‑Zamana

عَنِ الْقَائِمِ صَلَوَانُ اللهِ عَلَيْهِ فِي الإِسْتِخَارَةِ بِالسَّبْحَةِ أَنهُ يَأْخُذُهَا وَيُصَلَّي عَلىَ النَّبِيِّ وآلِهِ صَلَوَاتُ الله عَلَيْهِ وَعَلَيْهِمْ ثَلاَثَ مَرَّاتٍ وَيَقْبضُ عَلىَ السَّبْحَةِ وَيَعُدُّ اشْنَيْنِ اشْنَيْنِ فَإِنْ بَقِيَتْ وَاحِدَةً فَهُوَ إفْعَلْ فَإنْ بَقِيَتْ إثْنَتَان فَهُوَ لاَ تَفْعَل.

It has been narrated from al‑Qa'im regarding the Istikhara by the tasbih that: "The tasbih should be taken (in the hand), and blessings should be sent on Muhammad and his family s three times, and then pick a sport on the beads and count them two by two. If at the end only one bead remains, then you should perform that action; and if two beads remain, then you should not perform it. "

Istikhara by Papers

قَالَ الإِمَامُ الْبَاقِرَ عَليهِ السَلامْ:

إِذَا أَرَدْتَ أَمْراً فَخُذْ سِتَّ رِقَاعٍ فَاكْتُبْ قِي ثَلاثٍ مِنْهَا بِسْمِ اللهِ رَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنْ اللهِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلانِ بْنِ فُلانَةَ افْعَلْهُ. وَ فِي ثَلاَثٍ مِنْهَا بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنَ اللهِ لْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلاَنِ بْنِ فُلاَنَةَ لاَ تَفْعَلْ. ثُمَّ ضَعْهَا تَحْتَ مُصَلاَّكَ ثُمَّ صَلِّ رَكْعَتَيْنِ فإِذا فَرَغْتَ فَاسْجُدْ سَجْدَةً وَ قُلْ فِيها مِائَةَ مَرَّةٍ أَسْتَخِيرُ اللهَ بِرَحْمَتِهِ خِيَرَةً فِي عَافِيَةٍ ثُمَ اسْتَوِ جَالِساً وَ قُلِ اللهُمَّ خِرْ لِي وَ اخْتَرْ لِي فِي جَمِيعِ أُمُورِي فِي يُسْرٍ مِنْكَ وَ عَافِيَةٍ ثُمَّ اضْرِبْ بِيَدِكَ إِلَىَ الرِّقَاعِ فَشَوِّشْهَا وَ أَخْرِجْ وَاحِدَةً افْعَلْ وَ الأُخْرَىَ لاَ تَفْعَلْ فَأَخْرِجْ مِنَ الرِّقَاعِ إِلَىَ خَمْسٍ فَانْظُرْ أَكْثَرَهَا فَاعْمَلْ بِهِ وَ دَعِ السَّادِسَةَ لاَتَحْتَاجُ إِلَيْها.

al‑Imam al‑Baqir (عليه السلام) said: `If you intend to do something, then take six pieces of paper and on three of them write:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنْ اللهِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلانِ بْنِ فُلانَةَ افْعَلْهُ

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Goodness is from Allah, the Great, the Wise for Fulan the son of Fulan (put your name here) he will do (it).

On the other three pieces of paper write:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنَ اللهِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلاَنِ بْنِ فُلاَنَةَ لاَ تَفْعلْ

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Goodness is from Allah, the Great, the Wise for Fulan the son of Fulan (put your name here) he will not do (it).

Then place them under your prayer mat. Read a two rak`at Salat and when you finish, go into sajdah and recite the following one hundred times:

أَسْتَخِيرُ اللهَ بِرَحْمَتِهِ خِيَرَةً فِي عَافِيَةٍ

I seek that which is good from Allah through His Mercy, the goodness for the outcome.

Then get up and while sitting say:

اللهُمَّ خِرْ لِي وَ اخْتَرْ لِي فِي جَمِيعِ أُمُورِي فِي يُسْرٍ مِنْكَ وَ عَافِيَةٍ

Following this, with your hands shuffle the six papers and one by one choose three of them. If three of the cards come up with:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنَ اللهِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلاَنِ بْنِ فُلاَنَةَ افْعَلْهُ.

Then perform the action that you had intended to do. However, if three of the cards come up with:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ خِيَرَةً مِنَ اللهِ الْعَزِيزِ الْحَكِيمِ لِفُلاَنِ بْنِ فُلاَنَةَ لاَ تَفْعَلْ

Then do not perform that action which you had intended to do. If one of the cards said to perform the act and the other one said not to perform the act, then pick up the cards until you have picked up five and see which of them is more and act according to it; and it is not necessary to pickup the sixth one. " 

source

Edited by habib e najjaar
source link

2 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

I think it is more of this:

ذَٰلِكَ مِنْ أَنبَاءِ الْغَيْبِ نُوحِيهِ إِلَيْكَ ۚ وَمَا كُنتَ لَدَيْهِمْ إِذْ يُلْقُونَ أَقْلَامَهُمْ أَيُّهُمْ يَكْفُلُ مَرْيَمَ وَمَا كُنتَ لَدَيْهِمْ إِذْ يَخْتَصِمُونَ

These are accounts from the Unseen, which We inspire to you.

You were not with them when they cast their pens as to which of them would take charge of Mary; nor were you with them as they quarreled. (Aali Imraan: 44)

Okay so why is one Ayah stating that it's haram to do it but this ayah is saying that Allah chose Zakariya through this method?

Brother l, I think the key difference here is who we are turning to for help in making a decision. In case of pre-Islamic Arabs they used arrows to draw lots but in Istikhara we ask Allah to join in the management of affairs. 

I think this is the same as prostration and sacrificing animals for idols would be forbidden but the same would be allowed for Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) 

On 11/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Okay so why is one Ayah stating that it's haram to do it but this ayah is saying that Allah chose Zakariya through this method?

Sorry I thought I had replied.

These are sciences, and because they fall in the range of sciences beyond the ordinary comprehension of the human mind, there is a thin line between those that are halal and those that are haraam. 

For some, the method used is seeking the interference/guidance of jinns and sihr/sorcery to get a response. These are the ones that are forbidden. The halaal methods are a distinct science taught by the Prophets as revealed to them by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) through His angels, and do not require the use of sihr/magic. Rather it is some of the secrets and measures and balances that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has allowed in this world. For example, you will find that the arm span of most people is exactly equal to their height. Or the distance between the wrist and inner elbow of a person is exactly the size of their foot. Similarly, some of these balances and sciences exist in other things too, and can be used to determine some answers.

However, and I think this is important, I am worried that the intention and mindset with which some of these methods of istikhara are done may be problematic. For example, I noticed that some people use the tasbih method to make decisions they should not be making using tasbih istikhara anyway. I know of a case where a married Muslim man would use the tasbih method to determine whether or not to engage in one night mutahs with women. The decision to marry (whether permanently or temporarily) must spring from the ahkaam, reason, intellect and justice allowing it, not a "the beads said its very good for me to do this". I have also known of some sisters using this method to know whether or not to communicate with a na mahram, and their mindset to me sounded like they felt they were doing a halal and foolproof method of "loves me, loves me not" with flower petals. 

As Muslims, we must be extremely careful not to slip back into superstition and magic and using unseen sciences where reason and direct proofs and methods are available to us.

Also, with the qur'an method, I am of the opinion that only a scholar deeply learned in the sciences of the Qur'an should use that method, or else one may interpret the message completely askew.

Personally, I find the most effective and safe method being the one where you pray 2 rakat, recite istakheerAllah 100 times, recite a dua seeking the counsel of Allah, then making the decision/choice that fits reason and your intuition most.

:salam:

If you can read Arabic read this paper on Fiqh al-Istikhara which addresses this issue of Azlam as well. The Sunni scholar Shaykh Shaltut actually prohibited Istikhara using these verses and Ayt. Borujerdi had asked some students to write a refutation of him which was then written by Ayt. Safi Gulpaygani.

Read from: حرمة الاستخارة (نظرية الشيخ شلتوت)، المستند والدليل

Wasalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain