Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Haji 2003

أَمَّن يُجِيبُ ٱلۡمُضۡطَرَّ إِذَا دَعَاهُ وَيَكۡشِفُ ٱلسُّوٓءَ

Rate this topic

While growing up in London and being aware of Islamic stuff from say 1980 to 2005 something, I am pretty sure I NEVER heard these words from Surah al-Naml verse 62 in any gathering. It's only in the last several years that people have been reciting it.

So what happened?

Did someone in Qom suddenly say to others in a hawzah, "hey bros, we missed this bit in the Qur'an and it's be really cool as a dua'.

Or was it well known everywhere else but London? There is the possibility that I was not paying attention, but I really don't think so.

Edited by Haji 2003

6 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

While growing up in London and being aware of Islamic stuff from say 1980 to 2005 something, I am pretty sure I NEVER heard these words from Surah al-Naml verse 62 in any gathering. It's only in the last several years that people have been reciting it.

So what happened?

Did someone in Qom suddenly say to others in a hawzah, "hey bros, we missed this bit in the Qur'an and it's be really cool as a dua'.

Or was it well known everywhere else but London? There is the possibility that I was not paying attention, but I really don't think so.

Hmm.. I have heard it since I was old enough to have any distinct memories. In the Shia circles though, not the Sunni circles in my life. Barely heard it in Iran to be honest so I doubt someone from Qom brought it up. Are you at a khoja/khoja majority centre?

27 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Are you at a khoja/khoja majority centre?

Well I attended majalis at Acton Town/Hammersmith (mainly an Uttar Pradesh crowd) from pre-teens and later on when Stanmore (Khoja) was started I also started going there. I have also been an irregular at the Idara - Jaferiya, which has a fair Punjabi crowd, same goes for the Hussaini mission and others.

I am so sure I never heard it anywhere when I was growing up. First place I heard it was in Stanmore.

Anyone who has no memory of pre-2000 is unlikely to have noticed the change (if indeed that is the case).

Edited by Haji 2003

Just now, Haji 2003 said:

Well I attended majalis at Acton Town/Hammersmith (mainly an Uttar Pradesh crowd) from pre-teens and later on when Stanmore (Khoja) was started I also started going there. I have also been an irregular at the Idara - Jaferiya, which has a fair Punjabi crowd, same goes for the Hussaini mission and others.

Anyone who has no memory of pre-2000 is unlikely to have noticed the change (if indeed that is the case).

Interesting. I mainly attended a khoja Shia centre and the events held by the iranian embassy/consular office/cultural council and have heard right from my earliest distinct memories (early 90s)

31 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Interesting. I mainly attended a khoja Shia centre and the events held by the iranian embassy/consular office/cultural council and have heard right from my earliest distinct memories (early 90s)

Just spoke to my uncle who'd have been in his twenties in the 80s and he says it definitely was not recited in London gatherings. He has a suspicion that in India and Pakistan it may not be so prevalent even now. 

[Update] just checked with my maternal village in India and they agree that it's recent.

Edited by Haji 2003

I know I heard this ayah from talib Johri he was saying,
people give this ayah to us to prove that only Allah can help but they never read the very next part of ayah:

وَيَجۡعَلُكُمۡ خُلَفَآءَ الۡاَرۡضِ‌ؕ ءَاِلٰـهٌ مَّعَ اللّٰهِ‌ؕ قَلِيۡلاً مَّا تَذَكَّرُوۡنَؕ‏

And who makes you caliphs on Earth? is their another diety with Allah? Little do you remember

Talib Johri said you are leaving one matter of your choice I:e Help on Allah yet making caliphs by yourselves?
he is great Allamah mashaAllah.

22 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Just spoke to my uncle who'd have been in his twenties in the 80s and he says it definitely was not recited in London gatherings. He has a suspicion that in India and Pakistan it may not be so prevalent even now. 

We do things differently in Africa :einstein:

Yes you are all correct in your recollections. 

The Khojas/Irani/Iraqi crowds have been reciting this since ever really. The sub continent crowd were less aware of this aya and yes we were the poorer. 

Now MashaAllah it is widespread. 

6 hours ago, haideriam said:

Yes you are all correct in your recollections. 

The Khojas/Irani/Iraqi crowds have been reciting this since ever really. The sub continent crowd were less aware of this aya and yes we were the poorer. 

Now MashaAllah it is widespread. 

This is a very profound verse.  I think it would be nice if the entire verse were recited as a practice.  This is because otherwise we tend to confine the context of this verse to only those who have fallen sick.  But the fact of the matter is that we are always in need of God (at every single moment).  

We also need to be reminded of the fact that each and every human being bears the heavy responsibility of being vicegerents of God and of representing Him on Earth (it is just that some of us, the humble servants, realize it and others don’t).  Some of us do not represent all of God’s names in the most fullest (and so we turn out to be arrogant oppressors on this land manifesting mosty God’s majesty and very little of His merciful qualities).  Others, however, manifest mostly God’s mercy (and mercy contains all other qualities or names).  

Anyway...  we, all of us, are God’s Caliphs or (Inheritors of His names and Attributes).  What makes us “better” is the degree to which we, as vicegerents, are also conscious and humble servants (aabidoon) of God Almighty.  Because the two (vicegerency and servanthood) should go together in order manifest a wider spectrum of God’s names and attributes.  

The Arabic/Iraqi community in London have recited it as far back as I can remember...early nineties. Perhaps it's a community specific thing. 

2 hours ago, haideriam said:

The sub continent crowd were less aware of this aya and yes we were the poorer. 

That's just it.

It's not as if there is no contact between the different communities. During ziarats and Hajj, etc. people would have been exposed to it. People would have been hearing this in each others' events, especially the clerical thought leaders.

My interest in this is purely curiosity about the diffusion of the ayat. and why it happened so far down the road.

My interest in this is purely curiosity about the diffusion of the ayat. and why it happened so far down the road

Salam أَمَّنْ يُجِيبُ‏ الْمُضْطَرَّ إِذا دَعاهُ وَ يَكْشِفُ السُّوءَ is for asking hasten the reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) &وَ يَجْعَلُكُمْ خُلَفاءَ الْأَرْضِ‏ is about after his reappearance that Allah will make his followers specially the 313 persons as calips on Earth inshaAllah.

Muhammad ibn Muslim narrated that the fifth Imam said: The revelation of Aman Yujib is revealed about our  riser (Qaim). When he rises up, he puts a turban on his head and prays to Allah beside Abraham place  and from then  his flag will be raised. (The Promised Mahdi)

ترجمه جلد 51 بحار الأنوار)، متن، ص: 263

translation of v 51 of Bihar Al Anwar :p263 & 264

و قال في قوله تعالى: أَمَّنْ يُجِيبُ‏ الْمُضْطَرَّ إِذا دَعاهُ وَ يَكْشِفُ السُّوءَ وَ يَجْعَلُكُمْ خُلَفاءَ الْأَرْضِ‏ قال الصادق عليه السّلام: هو و اللّه القائم إذا قام في الكعبة و صلّى ركعتين و دعا اللّه، فهذا مما لم يكن بعد و سيكون إن شاء اللّه‏ .

Allah said in his blessed saying: أَمَّنْ يُجِيبُ‏ الْمُضْطَرَّ إِذا دَعاهُ وَ يَكْشِفُ السُّوءَ وَ يَجْعَلُكُمْ خُلَفاءَ الْأَرْضِ‏ Imam Sadiq(عليه السلام) said: swear to Allah when Qaim raises in Kaaba & prays two rakah &prays to Allah , so this is not far & will happen inshaAllah.

from Imam  Sadiq (عليه السلام) narrated that he said: This verse was revealed about Qa'em al-Muhammad. By Allah, his  "Muztar" that will  pray two Rakat in  Abraham place  and to asks from Allah , and the Lord will respond and will remove his suffering and will  make  them  his caliphate on Earth.

translation of v 51 of Bihar Al Anwar :p 253

http://www.kindfather.ir/html/index.php?module=صفحات&func=display&pageid=1024

Imam Sadiq (as): When Qaim emerges, he enters to the mosque of al-Haram and stands up to the Ka'bah to pray in  behind Abraham place and perform two rak'ahs of prayer, then lifts his two hands to heaven, he is praying and supplicating   so much . That  until he falls by his face to ground , and that is the meaning of the word of almighty Allah :«أمّن یجیب المضطرّ اذا دعاه ویکشف السوء ...». (میزان الحکمه، ج11، صفحه 213 )
Miza Al Hikmah , V 11 , p 213
برگرفته شده از shievaerfan.blog.ir 

http://shievaerfan.blog.ir/1395/12/04/خواص-آیه-امن-یجیب-المضطر-اذا-دعاه

On 11/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, Haji 2003 said:

That's just it.

It's not as if there is no contact between the different communities. During ziarats and Hajj, etc. people would have been exposed to it. People would have been hearing this in each others' events, especially the clerical thought leaders.

My interest in this is purely curiosity about the diffusion of the ayat. and why it happened so far down the road.

You make valid points there but just a couple of facts

Older ladies used to recite this in the 80s and of course courtesy of the Khoja ladies they were friendly with. 

In the sub continent our marja was an amalgamation of 2 or 3 top Ayatullahs in the form of a book called Tohfa tul Awam( a gift for the public/masses).

I think after 79 the awareness in the masses increased in geometric proportion and hence what was   known by the very very few came into the fore.

Hope I helped

On 11/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, Haji 2003 said:

I am pretty sure I NEVER heard these words from Surah al-Naml verse 62 in any gathering. It's only in the last several years that people have been reciting it.

So what happened?

Those who are blessed with maintaining their relationship with Qur'an and blessed with pondering over its verses, never miss anything from it.

Not only this verse, but verses from #60 up to # 64 are clear arguments (Baiyyenaat) presented by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

These indeed are very profound verses!

Surah An-Naml, Verse 60:
أَمَّنْ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَأَنزَلَ لَكُم مِّنَ السَّمَاءِ مَاءً فَأَنبَتْنَا بِهِ حَدَائِقَ ذَاتَ بَهْجَةٍ مَّا كَانَ لَكُمْ أَن تُنبِتُوا شَجَرَهَا أَإِلَٰهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ بَلْ هُمْ قَوْمٌ يَعْدِلُونَ

Surah An-Naml, Verse 61:
أَمَّن جَعَلَ الْأَرْضَ قَرَارًا وَجَعَلَ خِلَالَهَا أَنْهَارًا وَجَعَلَ لَهَا رَوَاسِيَ وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَ الْبَحْرَيْنِ حَاجِزًا أَإِلَٰهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

Surah An-Naml, Verse 62:
أَمَّن يُجِيبُ الْمُضْطَرَّ إِذَا دَعَاهُ وَيَكْشِفُ السُّوءَ وَيَجْعَلُكُمْ خُلَفَاءَ الْأَرْضِ أَإِلَٰهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ قَلِيلًا مَّا تَذَكَّرُونَ

Surah An-Naml, Verse 63:
أَمَّن يَهْدِيكُمْ فِي ظُلُمَاتِ الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ وَمَن يُرْسِلُ الرِّيَاحَ بُشْرًا بَيْنَ يَدَيْ رَحْمَتِهِ أَإِلَٰهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى اللَّهُ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ

Surah An-Naml, Verse 64:
أَمَّن يَبْدَأُ الْخَلْقَ ثُمَّ يُعِيدُهُ وَمَن يَرْزُقُكُم مِّنَ السَّمَاءِ وَالْأَرْضِ أَإِلَٰهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ قُلْ هَاتُوا بُرْهَانَكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ

Guest cantremember

Salaam, 

I’m a londoner same time, idara going people, not sure how you missed it brother, its always been recited after ziyarat and du’as (if you ever stuck around till the very end) this is usually recited to benefit the sick/poorly- maybe this will jog your memory. Idara recite it 7 times, Hyderi and everyone else 5 times. I think all Pakistani’s/Indian’s have heard it/recite it...it’s a powerful du’a. 
I have learnt something new today (attended many Iraqi/iranian gatherings) though I’ve never heard it being recited in reference to Imam Mahdi (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف). If anyone has any reference I can read further about this, it will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Ws

On 11/16/2019 at 9:44 PM, Guest cantremember said:

I’m a londoner same time, idara going people,

As it happens I was speaking to an Idara going person about the 1980s and I asked him about this and he said that it was not recited at that time. He's of an average level of religiosity like me. Listening to us was a distant brother-in-law of mine and he's super religious and he confirmed my hypothesis.