Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
hasanhh

Express a Negative about 'Culture'

Rate this topic

As it is lsIamicaIIy correct to view many things as detractors from a believing Life, what "cultural" activity do you see as a complete moral waste?

You can refer to a hadith or express a secular not covered by hadith or Qur'an.

l view ballet as a complete, nonsensical waste of time and money.

1.Big Haq Mehr 

Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) says: “Amongst my followers, those women are excellent, who are beautiful and their Mehr is also less.”
(Wafi, Kitab-e-Nikah p. 15).

Imam Jafar Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) says that the enormous Mehr is the main drawback of a woman
(Wafi, Kitab-e-Nikaah p. 15).

44 minutes ago, starlight said:

1.Big Haq Mehr 

Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) says: “Amongst my followers, those women are excellent, who are beautiful and their Mehr is also less.”
(Wafi, Kitab-e-Nikah p. 15).

Imam Jafar Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) says that the enormous Mehr is the main drawback of a woman
(Wafi, Kitab-e-Nikaah p. 15).

Hmm..this is a religious instruction (mahr) and less of a cultural problem. For the most part, the problem in Muslim societies is the massive lavish weddings beyond ones means, and demanding of jahaziyyah/jahaz/jehez from the females yet there is no Islamic basis for demanding it in the first place, unlike mahr. To be honest, I do not know many girls who demanded large mahrs, but I do know several who gave massive jehez (common amongst desi and iranians ive noticed not heard of it anywhere else), and many girls who held very large extravagant weddings.

16 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

demanding of jahaziyyah/jahaz/jehez from the females yet there is no Islamic basis for demanding it in the first place,

In Arab culture, it's expected of the male rather than the female to pay for the 'jahaz' so it's more or less the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

In Arab culture, it's expected of the male rather than the female to pay for the 'jahaz' so it's more or less the opposite. 

Exactly the situation in our community, and that too, is not on "demand" basis, rather falls under the broader capacity of providing the basic necessities of starting a life, as per his means.

However, for Desis and Iranians, there is a list of expectations of the stuff a woman should provide for starting a life, including appliances, beddings, kitchen equipment and utensils etc. These things are then put on display for people to come and view what the bride brought. It is among the major reasons girls from lower income families are unable to get married in these societies, because they are anticipated to bring a smaller "jahaz".  Despicable.

34 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Despicable.

You can say that again. 

12 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

there is a list ... of the stuff a woman should provide for starting a life,

Editorial deletion for clarity, for: ln Amerika, this was/is called a "hope chest".

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

Editorial deletion for clarity, for: ln Amerika, this was/is called a "hope chest".

Interesting.. was it a demanded amount/expected list of things or just part of the gifts that a girls family and friends give her towards making her new life more convenient?

10 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Interesting.. was it a demanded amount/expected list of things or just part of the gifts that a girls family and friends give her towards making her new life more convenient?

No. What these are is when a girl herself starts collecting what "she wants" to have when she marries. When l'd hear the old people talk, the young lady will have acquired for example, a serving set, or particularly designed linens or laces, maybe a piece of jewelry, whatever. They use to put things like these in chests before there were boxes and things like we have now. That is why they're called "hope chests". One girl l went to school with, as her brother told me, had two carriable crates of things. Things included what har grandmother or aunt gave her. All safely packed for protection. Plus her bank savings book. 

Edited by hasanhh
added: herself

Guest window

maxresdefault.jpg

What's the deal with coffee and tea culture? How boring do you have to be to have your consumption of a drink become a real personality trait? Americans annoy me about coffee, and then Middle-Easterners pester me to drink tea. 

If I see another "don't talk to me unless I've had my coffee" sticker I just might lose it. 

4 hours ago, Guest window said:

I just might lose it. 

You Lost:

https://www.cafepress.com/mf/107315323/coffee-heartbeat_sticker    <---buy one

Reminds me of Petula Clark "And the beat goes on"

And for more, see:  

cafepress.com   they have some real good stickers

Coffee, the heart starter

Edited by hasanhh

10 hours ago, Guest window said:

If I see another "don't talk to me unless I've had my coffee" sticker I just might lose it. 

Trust me, you do not want to talk somebody who hasn't had their coffee or tea. 

10 hours ago, Guest window said:

What's the deal with coffee and tea culture? How boring do you have to be to have your consumption of a drink become a real personality trait?

It's almost a necessity when you had less than 8 hours of sleep. As for boring,  I think you're missing the point. It's a nice, calming way to socialize with family, friends and peers. Much better than getting drunk. Besides why does it matter to you if people choose to drink coffee or tea? I think it would be a terrible mistake to write people off as "boring" for  choosing to drink a warm beverage in the morning.