Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
starlight

Ninety nine names of Allah

Rate this topic

Salam, 

For some time now I have been reading up about the 99 names of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and reciting them.I would like to study them in a little more detail, especially their esoteric meaning and spiritual benefits of reciting each. I haven't been able to find much unfortunately. There is one book on al-Islam.org and some Sunni and Sufi webpages but they mostly deal with the exoteric meanings and there is some variation about the meanings, so in short I haven't been able to find anything good or detailed. Can anyone help? 

This is a good, simple, easy to read book which covers some of Allah's attributes. It does not particularly capture the 99 names but is  a good reading material (even for a teenage child) in understanding God. It is written by Sayyid Mujtaba Musavi Lari

48 minutes ago, starlight said:

I would like to study them in a little more detail, 

What a blessed endeavour! We can all benefit from it so please share what you've read and I'll see what I can dig out. 

Tafsir al Mizan is also an excellent resource to study indepth the attributes of Allah, as he (qas) focussed his tafsir on increasing the readers' maarifah of Allah. For a start, you can work on Surah al Fatiha, which captures some of the most beautiful and recurrent attributes of Allah which are applicable to each and every human being, irrespective of his religion.

2 hours ago, starlight said:

Salam, 

For some time now I have been reading up about the 99 names of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and reciting them.I would like to study them in a little more detail, especially their esoteric meaning and spiritual benefits of reciting each. I haven't been able to find much unfortunately. There is one book on al-Islam.org and some Sunni and Sufi webpages but they mostly deal with the exoteric meanings and there is some variation about the meanings, so in short I haven't been able to find anything good or detailed. Can anyone help? 

The “esoteric” meaning can only be taught by one who has IT.  It is rarely captured through books.  

6 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

The “esoteric” meaning can only be taught by one who has IT.  It is rarely captured through books.  

Yeah. I thought so but I decided I would still try my luck. Maybe someone would know of some lectures etc.

34 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

But doesn't Dua Jawshan al kabir contain much more than 99 names ? 

Why the 99 number ?

Yes.  As a matter of fact, God has Infinite Names.  Why?

A Name is a modality of God’s Self-Expression.  So, you can ask:

WHAT ISN’T a name a God???!!!  

yes...  indeed.
Everything IS a name of God.  You are a name of God.  The tree is a name of God.  Each and every thought you have is a name of God.  But God has selected certain of His names (the 99 names) so that we can use them in the sacred rites.  We are NOT allowed to use the other names that He has not designated in his legislative command even though each and every created thing is a name a of God by virtue of his engendering or existential command.

Edited by eThErEaL

7 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

But doesn't Dua Jawshan al kabir contain much more than 99 names ? 

Why the 99 number ?

In Book of Unity (of Allah), Shaikh Saduq quotes Imam Ja`fer al-Sadiq quoting his forefathers quoting the Messenger of Allah saying,

"There are ninety-nine Attributes, one hundred minus one, of Allah; whoever counts them will enter Paradise." He is also quoted saying that whoever learns these Attributes by heart and comprehends their meanings (and acts upon it) will enter Paradise. One should be familiar with the meanings and implications of these names, not just with their count. Nobody can sufficiently be acquainted with the Attributes of Allah as He Himself says in 73:20: "He knows that you cannot (sufficiently) count Him (His Attributes)."

Guest seeking of truth

Salam all. (I hope my post is not declined). I have no reference. But as far as I remember from the Jum'ah shalat, the khatib said that Allah has 100 names, 99 names is revealed on Earth. 1 name shall be revealed on akhirat. So then is this "esoteric meaning ?

I have found a great book however, I have yet to find a PDF version, let alone a translated one! 

خواص الأسماء الحسنى و شرح معانيها 

ضياء الدين الاعلمي  

Khawas Al Asma' Al Husna wa Sharh Ma'aniha

by Deya'Addeen Al A'alamy 

Perhaps someone can have better luck in finding it online?

IMG_7428.PNG

This is a good starting point which covers the basics:

http://www.qul.org.au/the-holy-Qur'an/asma-ul-husna

4 hours ago, Moalfas said:

Perhaps someone can have better luck in finding it online?

I looked and looked but couldn't. :/

Maybe I should start learning Arabic seriously.

6 hours ago, starlight said:

I looked and looked but couldn't. :/

Maybe I should start learning Arabic seriously.

Ibn Ajiba commentary on the 99 names.  That is a classic.  It is in English.  But you’ll have to purchase it from Amazon I believe. 

Edited by eThErEaL

I found two more titles which go into detailed depth but unfortunately, are also in Arabic :confused:

Here's the links for the free PDF versions anyways:

المقام الأسنى في تفسير الأسماء الحسنى

الشيخ تقي الدين الكفعمي

Al Maqam Al Asna fi Tafseer Al Asma' Al Husna

by Sheikh Taqi Addeen Al Kaf'amy

http://alfeker.net/library.php?id=4141

شرح الأسماء الحسنى

السيد حسين الهمداني الدرودابادي

Sharh Al Asma' Al Husna

by Sayed Hussain Al Hamadani Al Drodabadi

http://alfeker.net/library.php?id=4245

There are publishers who translate books such as Al A'lamy مؤسسة الاعلمي based in Iran.

They do tend to focus on general Islamic/Shia titles rather than specific and 'niche' topics such as this one.