Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
habib e najjaar

Designing a church/synagogue

Rate this topic

Assalamu alaykum,

Is it permissible for a Muslim architecht to design/help in designing a church or synagogue or temple? Is it any different if he is subcontracted to do the work and the person contracted to do the work is a non Muslim who wants the technical expertise of the Muslim?

I think it’s not permissible, even helping is not permissible. The link below is related to your question. Feel free to ask the website below.

https://www.al-Islam.org/ask/is-it-allowed-for-the-Shia-to-build-or-help-someone-else-build-a-non-Muslim-place-of-worship

5 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Assalamu alaykum,

Is it permissible for a Muslim architecht to design/help in designing a church or synagogue or temple? Is it any different if he is subcontracted to do the work and the person contracted to do the work is a non Muslim who wants the technical expertise of the Muslim?

You should ask your marja.

I've worked on "church camp" and Christian private school, as well as designed expanded parking for a church once. It never occurred to me that it might be haram. The company I worked for was also hired to design a road through a Muslim cemetery and I worked on that, but the project owners didn't know I am Muslim and had no idea which engineer in the company would work on their project. 

If the religion of the organization you are working for is an enemy of Islam, you should not agree to the project, in my opinion, but as I said, ask your marja. I haven't seen any fatwas or hadiths on this matter. 

3 hours ago, notme said:

I've worked on "church camp" and Christian private school, as well as designed expanded parking for a church once. It never occurred to me that it might be haram. The company I worked for was also hired to design a road through a Muslim cemetery and I worked on that, but the project owners didn't know I am Muslim and had no idea which engineer in the company would work on their project. 

If the religion of the organization you are working for is an enemy of Islam, you should not agree to the project, in my opinion, but as I said, ask your marja. I haven't seen any fatwas or hadiths on this matter. 

Have sent a question on the persons behalf to the office of a few maraji. 

So far, have received the reply of Ayat. Makarem Shirazi as follows:

[11/11, 19:55] : Assalamu alaykum,
I live in a non Muslim majority country, in a city with a Muslim majority. As an Architecht, is it permissible to design a church or to help in designing one?

[11/11, 20:29] Makarem Shirazi OFFICE: Wa Alaykum Assalaam
It is not permissible.

Just found this as per Sayyid Sistani (hA):

Question: A Muslim builder or contractor is approached for building a place of worship for non-Muslims in a non-Muslim country. Is it permissible for him to accept that job?
Answer: It is not permissible because it involves promoting the false religions.

Source

31 minutes ago, notme said:

Don't know how roads and parking lots count, but the building themselves are impermissible. I had always assumed/known this but never came across any fatawa for it until the person asked me for some today as proof of my advice against taking the work (he wasn't interested but was considering connecting the client to one of his non Muslim students to do). I advised that he does not do it or help in any way to get it done, let them find someone to do it on their own.

Well, there are Muslims helping rebuild churches destroyed or damaged by ISIS in affected areas and  Muslims taking up collections for repairs for churches and synagogues in the US set on fire by the White Supremacists. Different situation,but I don't know why helping put a destroyed church or synagogue back up isn't " promoting a false religion". 

Still, I figure if you don't want to do it, don't do it.

4 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

promoting a false religion"

hi , it's about building new churches & synagogue that in Iran we preserve all churches & synagogues that built until end of Pahlavi era but building new ones after revolution stopped.

Guest Monad

just make sure Muslims in non-Muslim countries do not shout oppression when they are not allowed to have mosques or places of worship.

we are so innocent and monothiestic we need special service wherever we lay claim. Everyone is the same, promoting their own demagogues for that big piece of the pie.

12 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Don't know how roads and parking lots count, but the building themselves are impermissible.

I imagine they would count the same. You can't have a building without a site to put it on and infrastructure to support it.