Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Namaz (Salah) in airplane

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam.

I've traveled on many different airlines and have read namaz several times in air. Most airlines allow passengers to read namaz at the back of the plane. But Qatar Airways do not allow that and instead advise passengers to read it on their seats. I'm due to travel on Qatar soon and was wondering what is the right way to read on seat. Previously I have read it while sitting, but the rule is that if you can stand, then you must stand. 

Has anyone read namaz while standing at their seat? Do you do ruku in standing position or after sitting on the seat ? 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Miqdad Zaidi said:

Salam.

I've traveled on many different airlines and have read namaz several times in air. Most airlines allow passengers to read namaz at the back of the plane. But Qatar Airways do not allow that and instead advise passengers to read it on their seats. I'm due to travel on Qatar soon and was wondering what is the right way to read on seat. Previously I have read it while sitting, but the rule is that if you can stand, then you must stand. 

Has anyone read namaz while standing at their seat? Do you do ruku in standing position or after sitting on the seat ? 

Walaikum as salam brother. If I pray on the seat then I do it sitting (definitely not standing on the seat). I place my turbah on the small folding table. Of course you should also check the approximate direction of qiblah. If you're flying away from Mecca then it becomes more difficult (in this situation I prayed in the bathroom, also sitting since there is no place to stand)

Wallahu a'lam 

• Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

definitely not standing on the seat

Thanks for replying. 

Yes, but I know people who pray standing on the seat. And the rule is that if you can stand, you then must stand.

I have read in bathroom as well, standing, but have never read standing on the seat...many times while sitting though. 

So the question is.... Standing at the seat is going to be tricky... And people will obviously watch you as well....but we'll just have to ignore them? 

Is there anyone who has read namaz at the seat standing and how do you do ruku? 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, realizm said:

:salam:

On my last trip, I could have prayed standing at my seat, but I felt the look of other passengers would have me distracted, I also feared falling into riya.

So I prayed seated.

Walykum Salam.

Thanks for your answer. I understand it's not easy to stand and pray at the seat; I've never done it myself but I have found out that it is obligatory to stand at seat, if they don't allow you to stand at the rear of the plane. I like Turkish and KLM because they have no problems in this, but Qatar being a Muslim state doesn't allow. I think we just have to ignore the looks of the passengers. I think Riya should not be given any importance when it comes to obligatory actions. 

26 minutes ago, Diaz said:

But is it permissible to pray while traveling? What about qibla?

The mujtahids say that salat cannot be skipped under any circumstances. It means that it is not to be omitted whether one is travelling or at home; even if the time is running out, it is obligatory upon the Muslim, for example a traveller, to say his salat in a plane, ship, car, or a train whether stationary or moving; it could be performed any where: in the waiting room, in a public park, on the side of a road, or at the work-place, etc.
When it is not possible for the traveller to say the salat in a plane or a car or a train in a standing position, he should say it while he is seated.If it is not possible for him to find the direction of the qiblah, he should face the direction that he most probably thinks to be the qiblah; if he is unable to prefer one direction to the other, he should pray in whatever direction he is facing.
If it is not possible to face the qiblah except for takbiratul ihram (the opening "Allahu Akbar"), he should at the least say the takbir facing the direction of qiblah. (See the question-answer section below.)
It is permissible to ask the airhostess about the direction of the qiblah so that she may ask the pilot about it. If you have confidence in their information, you can rely on it even if they are non-Muslims.Similarly, it is permissible to rely on scientific instruments for determining the direction of the qiblah, for example the compass, if a Muslim is convinced about its correctness.

------

The above shows that if it is possible to stand at the seat, then one has to stand. 

Edited by Miqdad Zaidi
  • Advanced Member

If one already knows that an Airline will not allow passengers to stand for prayer and only allows them to pray at seat, is it even permissable to travel on such airline? The general rule is that if  you know that you cannot keep the "form" of prayer in a particular situation, then you have to avoid it. If one has the option to travel in any other airline which allows standing for prayer, then it might be necessary to travel on that airline. 

• Moderators

If the airline doesn't allow you to stand on the seat (possibly for safety reasons) then you shouldn't be doing it. We can't even pray in someone's home without their permission, so breaking airline rules is certainly not an option. Like brother @Aale Mohammed said, one should perhaps evaluate the choice of airline in such situations.

Wallahu a'lam 

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Miqdad Zaidi said:

So the question is.... Standing at the seat is going to be tricky... And people will obviously watch you as well....but we'll just have to ignore them? 

Is there anyone who has read namaz at the seat standing and how do you do ruku? 

Salam you have to stand a little between ruku & Sujud to separate these two from each other that this won't make attention of passengers & crew. 

• 2 months later...