Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
thuglife

Civilising aggressive cat!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I have an idea as a hobby project. Civilising a psycho cat, whether it’s feral or house raised. They get put down like right away from what I hear, so might as well try. Anyone know where I can find one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to an animal shelter or humane society and ask if there is a feral cat care group. Or look on the Internet. Sometimes these groups capture, spay and neuter these animals, then release them back into the area in which they are found. 

I imagine you could try to capture one and tame it. Check your local laws.

I hear truly feral cats are hard to tame past kittenhood, but if you succeed, I'd be interested in how you did so.

Feral cats are expert predators and very dangerous to birds and other wildlife smaller than themselves. Not to mention they get killed by predators larger than themselves or contract diseases.

It's better to get them out of the wild.

 

Edited by LeftCoastMom
Added thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I hear truly feral cats are hard to tame past kittenhood, but if you succeed, I'd be interested in how you did so.

lt takes time and let the cat decide.

Put food out when the cat sees you do it --and move away, like inside.

Then go to milk and smoe food.

lf you do this at the same time every day, the cat will be watching and waiting.

When you start seeing the cat while you bring the food/milk, say something to it.

Repeat this, but slow your entry back into the building (or whatever) and the cat will start for the food while it sees you.

Then after a while, get to the "stand back from the food".

Soon the cat will come while you are putting the food out.

Wait until the cat is comfortable, then try stroking its back while its eating. lf it runs, then repeat above until you can.

Eventually, the cat will hang around and if you sit outside it will jump into your lap. When it slowly closes and opens its eyes at you, you are 'accepted'.

The only problem is sometimes other cats will follow when you are feeding and you'll have a herd of cats hanging around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thuglife said:

I have an idea as a hobby project. Civilising a psycho cat,

If you enjoy these things then marry a bridezilla/drama queen. Will be a life long "hobby" for you but if you enjoy such things why not?? Her parents will thank you and you will get jannah for observing Sabr and saving another man from a lifetime of agony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

The only problem is sometimes other cats will follow when you are feeding and you'll h

As salaamun aleikum,

Your post is absolutely SPOT ON, brother. Thats EXACTLY how its done. Thanks for taking the time to detail it all.

My friend  did exactly this with multiple cats. It all started with a feral female she started feeding. It was pregnant:confused: BOOM! 2 female kittens were born, they in turn grew and each had a litter, then the kittens that survived from THOSE litters grew up and had more kittens..She now has 11 adult cats that completely trust and love her, but they are outside cats only. Shes managed to get all but 2 females fixed, (they remained feral and unmanageable-I think its just their personal disposition, super sketchy and would never enter a cat trap and even though they trust her, shes not able to pick them up)

Both of these each recently had kittens, but did so in a jungly area which is inaccesible due to it being on the other side of an 8ft cyclone fence and next to the freeway, but as far as she can tell, neither litter survived as she has seen both mothers laze around all day with no kittens or calls from any.

Shes been through so much with all these cats, everything from finding kittens half eaten and decapitated, to finding one ran over, another one had a huge facial abcess that eventually went away, and just the other day, she said one of them that had been sick for some time was found dead in the driveway when she returned home that night.

Its been one heck of a journey for her and them, but everytime I go to her house, she is greeted by a "train of 11 cats" that meet her at her car and follow her up the driveway to her house,lol..its very interesting to watch, especially since she wears chador, which I don't know why that makes it more interesting to watch, but it does:grin:

W/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, starlight said:

If you enjoy these things then marry a bridezilla/drama queen. Will be a life long "hobby" for you but if you enjoy such things why not?? Her parents will thank you and you will get jannah for observing Sabr and saving another man from a lifetime of agony.

:ko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum,

Your post is absolutely SPOT ON, brother. Thats EXACTLY how its done. Thanks for taking the time to detail it all.

My friend  did exactly this with multiple cats. It all started with a feral female she started feeding. It was pregnant:confused: BOOM! 2 female kittens were born, they in turn grew and each had a litter, then the kittens that survived from THOSE litters grew up and had more kittens..She now has 11 adult cats that completely trust and love her, but they are outside cats only. Shes managed to get all but 2 females fixed, (they remained feral and unmanageable-I think its just their personal disposition, super sketchy and would never enter a cat trap and even though they trust her, shes not able to pick them up)

Both of these each recently had kittens, but did so in a jungly area which is inaccesible due to it being on the other side of an 8ft cyclone fence and next to the freeway, but as far as she can tell, neither litter survived as she has seen both mothers laze around all day with no kittens or calls from any.

Shes been through so much with all these cats, everything from finding kittens half eaten and decapitated, to finding one ran over, another one had a huge facial abcess that eventually went away, and just the other day, she said one of them that had been sick for some time was found dead in the driveway when she returned home that night.

Its been one heck of a journey for her and them, but everytime I go to her house, she is greeted by a "train of 11 cats" that meet her at her car and follow her up the driveway to her house,lol..its very interesting to watch, especially since she wears chador, which I don't know why that makes it more interesting to watch, but it does:grin:

W/s

Salaam

So, the cats are carnivores. Cats made several species of birds extinct. Would it be more ethical to euthanize the cats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

Shes been through so much with all these cats, everything from finding kittens half eaten and decapitated, rats usually do that

...skipped...

another one had a huge facial abcess that eventually went away,  if it looked like a tooth-abcess, then that is an infection from being clawed by another cat

and just the other day, she said one of them that had been sick for some time was found dead in the driveway --it was contaminated by something it walked through most likely. Cats lick their paws and sicken themselves that way.

Even if you like cats as l kinda do, you have to expect a sudden demise or disappearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thuglife said:

Salaam

So, the cats are carnivores. Cats made several species of birds extinct. Would it be more ethical to euthanize the cats?

Some governments are doing that. 

Most ethical would have been to not let them become feral, but it's too late for that in many places. 

Where I used to live, there was a nearby feral cat colony. Volunteers would put out food and shelters, and would trap-neuter/spay- release. I never saw any kittens or young cats, but I don't know whether that was just chance or was due to the success of trap and release program. 

Three of these cats appreciated human attention. I'm guessing they were lost or abandoned, not truly feral. 

Gentleness, kindness, lots of patience, and if the cat has a more sociable disposition it might let you pet it. We socialized, neutered, and found a home for a feral kitten once, and the cats we have now were feral kittens that were picked up and socialized by someone else while they were still young enough to adapt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

The only problem is sometimes other cats will follow when you are feeding and you'll have a herd of cats hanging around.

 

17 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum,

Your post is absolutely SPOT ON, brother. Thats EXACTLY how its done. Thanks for taking the time to detail it all.

My friend  did exactly this with multiple cats. It all started with a feral female she started feeding. It was pregnant:confused: BOOM! 2 female kittens were born, they in turn grew and each had a litter, then the kittens that survived from THOSE litters grew up and had more kittens..She now has 11 adult cats that completely trust and love her, but they are outside cats only. Shes managed to get all but 2 females fixed, (they remained feral and unmanageable-I think its just their personal disposition, super sketchy and would never enter a cat trap and even though they trust her, shes not able to pick them up)

this story reminds me of the cat lady in "the simpsons"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Even if you like cats as l kinda do, you have to expect a sudden demise or disappearance.

I didnt know that was a rat thing:cry:

Yes, she suspected he had been in a fight. He had been disappearing  for days and nighys on end and would come back haggard, like he had been in battle or something...being a male feral cat is rough!

And thanks for the info about it possibly being "something it walked through", cuz I never considered or was aware of that as a possibility. I will share that info with her.

Yes, shes resigned herself to never knowing when one will pass, kinda like how it is with us humans. I worry about that with my parents all the time since theyre in their 70s and sick, but thats just life.

W/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

lt takes time and let the cat decide.

Put food out when the cat sees you do it --and move away, like inside.

Then go to milk and smoe food.

lf you do this at the same time every day, the cat will be watching and waiting.

When you start seeing the cat while you bring the food/milk, say something to it.

Repeat this, but slow your entry back into the building (or whatever) and the cat will start for the food while it sees you.

Then after a while, get to the "stand back from the food".

Soon the cat will come while you are putting the food out.

Wait until the cat is comfortable, then try stroking its back while its eating. lf it runs, then repeat above until you can.

Eventually, the cat will hang around and if you sit outside it will jump into your lap. When it slowly closes and opens its eyes at you, you are 'accepted'.

The only problem is sometimes other cats will follow when you are feeding and you'll have a herd of cats hanging around.

That presumes he has a feral cat in his area. He doesn't seem to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, notme said:

Some governments are doing that. 

Most ethical would have been to not let them become feral, but it's too late for that in many places. 

Where I used to live, there was a nearby feral cat colony. Volunteers would put out food and shelters, and would trap-neuter/spay- release. I never saw any kittens or young cats, but I don't know whether that was just chance or was due to the success of trap and release program. 

Three of these cats appreciated human attention. I'm guessing they were lost or abandoned, not truly feral. 

Gentleness, kindness, lots of patience, and if the cat has a more sociable disposition it might let you pet it. We socialized, neutered, and found a home for a feral kitten once, and the cats we have now were feral kittens that were picked up and socialized by someone else while they were still young enough to adapt. 

Around here, cats without homes usually don't last. They are on the menu of many predators. Cats WITH homes will not last either unless the owner is very careful. Our cats never venture out at night. It's a death sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Around here, cats without homes usually don't last. They are on the menu of many predators. Cats WITH homes will not last either unless the owner is very careful. Our cats never venture out at night. It's a death sentence.

Our cats don't go outside at all, only out onto the screened porch. We want to keep our wildlife and the cars go fast around here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

That presumes he has a feral cat in his area. He doesn't seem to.

l did, fed it for a few days over Winter but the thing kept trying to get into my house.

no-no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 4:13 AM, thuglife said:

I have an idea as a hobby project. Civilising a psycho cat, whether it’s feral or house raised. They get put down like right away from what I hear, so might as well try. Anyone know where I can find one? 

One of mine, Smokey was a bit uncivil, he was a lost cat and found his way to mine. He was aggressive and distrustful at first, but over time he is your typical housecat now and very affectionate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Above, we were discussing how to catch cats.

This morning's news had such a feature.

What was recommended was to have one of those cat carriers and put the food in there. After a while have a way to close it and you have the cat ready to tame in a few days . . . and move it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...