Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
2Timeless

Mental health forum?

Rate this topic

Salam, I was wondering why there isnt a mental health forum? It could potentially open the site up to alot more people who would be more interested in mental health and how that ties in with Shia Islam etc. There are also many Shia Muslims suffering from various mental illnesses, so wouldn't having a mental health forum be a good idea? 

33 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

oh dear God no. not a forum where some internet folks give some random suggestions about what to do if the fridge starts talking to u

I've seen this a lot on Shiachat. No offense but a lot of people on this site have no empathy and end up making the other person (suffering from mental health) feel worse. 

Statements such as "never give up", "there is a light at the end of the tunnel", "just be strong" can make the person feel worse. Acknowledging someone's emotions and painful experiences is very important, not belittling it with careless statements.

It would be nice if people only comment on such threads if they have something useful to add or they have experience dealing with such people or perhaps they're good listeners and empathetic people in general. If we don't fall within these categories then we better keep quiet imo.

This won't attract people to Shiachat because there are way better mental health forums elsewhere. The lack of empathy could drive people away from this site and Shias in general. That's why it might be a good idea to stick to the club (the one that the brother posted).

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

50 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Statements such as "never give up", "there is a light at the end of the tunnel", "just be strong" can make the person feel worse. Acknowledging someone's emotions and painful experiences is very important, not belittling it with careless statements.

Maybe, but sometimes people don't know what to say. If someone said something like this to me, I would take it as encouragement. I would hope that if I said something like that to someone else, they would see that I do care about them. 

2 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

oh dear God no. not a forum where some internet folks give some random suggestions about what to do if the fridge starts talking to u

Are you even old enough to be on the internet without supervision? 

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Maybe, but sometimes people don't know what to say. If someone said something like this to me, I would take it as encouragement. I would hope that if I said something like that to someone else, they would see that I do care about them. 

Yes most people have pure intentions but we have to ask ourselves, how long does it take to write a one word reply. Some members write a whole essay describing their painful experience and you have members says "you'll get better". Even though we want to help, this is not the right way to acknowledge someone's traumatic experiences or mental health issues. Privately messaging someone or perhaps asking them questions in the thread would be a more responsible thing to do. 

Anyway, everyone is different and this is my take on it. 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

4 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

You see that's why a forum would be useful, youd learn that fridges don't talk and you are indeed hallucinating. There is a light at the end of the tunnel brother, one day you'll get there.

3 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I've seen this a lot on Shiachat. No offense but a lot of people on this site have no empathy and end up making the other person (suffering from mental health) feel worse. 

This happens regardless of a forum on mental health. 

15 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

You see that's why a forum would be useful, youd learn that fridges don't talk and you are indeed hallucinating. There is a light at the end of the tunnel brother, one day you'll get there.

that's exactly the problem. the thought that telling someone "it's a hallucination" would actually work is nowhere near the truth. I have a schizophrenic brother who thinks the voices that talk to him are real. we tell him they're hallucinations, but he doesn't believe they are. mental illness is not something you should seek help for on the internet. seek professional help. for those who don't have money, there are public alternatives. but ALWAYS go to a professional.

1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

that's exactly the problem. the thought that telling someone "it's a hallucination" would actually work is nowhere near the truth. I have a schizophrenic brother who thinks the voices that talk to him are real. we tell him they're hallucinations, but he doesn't believe they are. mental illness is not something you should seek help for on the internet. seek professional help. for those who don't have money, there are public alternatives. but ALWAYS go to a professional.

And who suggested that we are professionals? If someone is depressed maybe all they need is to feel a part of a community or that their feelings are justified. Having a mental health forum wouldn't be a substitute for seeing a professional. 

8 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

This comment came off as mocking mental illness. 

I was not aware of the issues you then raised about your brother in a later post and I therefore take back the comment I made. 

I hope your brother is getting the help he needs.

8 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

No offense but a lot of people on this site have no empathy

Yeap, that is me. About everyone who ever knew me well enough says l have no feelings. Yet, l could still effectively counsel some students when do-gooders could not.

8 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Acknowledging someone's emotions and painful experiences is very important, not belittling it with careless statements.

A good example of why l do not like do-gooders. You cannot feel someone elses pain. You can understand it. You can sometimes even relate to it. But your experience never matches theirs. Even twins enduring a negative experience resolve it differently.

Guest Pschological Warfare
5 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

There is one thing to keep in mind that what you term "professionals" are people trained to prescribe prescription drugs for their business and the big pharma. Consider every profession a Business. Not many people open up shops or offices to work for free. 

These people are trained in one thing Treatment via Drugs. Which sometimes is a bandage and people may spend their life time paying bills - repeat business.

Prevention is not usually readily available or marketed - less interest in it- Not a good business model. 

People have been trained to think, we are cellbots - and react to our surroundings which is the result of chemical reaction in our/brain of body. And only way to treat is to prescribe drugs to regulate this imbalance. This may be the outcome but I doubt that this is the underlining cause. 

Usually the underling cause is a conflict between Nature and Nurture. But  there is no profit to be made here, in diagnosis/treatment. 

A person may have rejected the Nurture based on his/her Nature ( may be in tune with his/her internal Value system ) and not interested in the current way of things- I.e they may not get involved in the way things work in the current society and may be called anti social or introvert. 

May be so focus on his/her Nature and the rigid internal value system may have taken a hold that they are not really focused on the other stuff which is of very little value to them. If something is of no interest - you will have a hard time concentrating on it or focusing on it  and they might diagnose ADHD or ADD or any other acronym that big Pharma is pushing. 

People suffer from ANTs. ( Automatic Negative Thoughts) its common. Some may call it a voice not a thought. 

Consider a prisoner in solitary confinement - Someone who has shut him/herself from the way things are - maybe are in this position- As a prisoner in solitary confinement for years - things will start talking and other stuff may happen. 

You see society says do this or else- go with the flow, deal with it and be part of it. Some may say no - its against what I internally believe and at this point society attaches a label and keeps them in that prison for life time on drugs- instead of dealing with the real issue. 

Talk to your brother, with out you Nurture and its sense of right and wrong. See who he really is as a person and what does he want in life, with out your Nurture related judgement. 

Not saying do not seek professional help- Keep in mind its a business. If they can't sell you something or have you as a repeat customer- they will go out of business. 

^ this is exactly what’s wrong with people just posting jargon and nonsense about mental illness. The difference between my brother being medicated and not is day and night. Quit ur big pharma conspiracy nonsense. 

Please do not talk about something you have not studied. 

I believe most of the people today are mental patients, its just that all the disorders of varying severity have not been properly identified or diagnosed with yet. So all the forums here serve the purpose.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:04 PM, Akbar673 said:

Do you mean this ?

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/clubs/17-mental-healthpsych-club/

Its under clubs, although there isn't much going on with it sadly.

Thank you for reminding everyone about the Mental Health/Psych Club.

@everyone Everyone can read and reply in the Mental Health/Psych Club. It is open to all members. The club is only as active as the members make it. If we don't have enough activity in that club, why would we need to make a Mental Health Forum? As @Reza replied above, the Social/Family/Personal and Science/Health forums cover mental health topics.