Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Wudu in the shower

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalam alaykum wa rahmatolahi wa barakatoh, I know this question has been asked before but I wasn't necessarily satisfied with the answers. Like Sunnis can do wudu in running water. For example, they have the intention of wudu, rinse their mouth, nose and belly button and make sure water gets to their whole body. Why is this not allowed by Shias? Why does the hair have to be dry to do wudu? Like it's going to get wet anyway. Ik we can do wudu before and after a shower but it creates hardship if for example I do wudu, have my shower but during it my wudu becomes void then after it I'll have to dry up and do wudu.Islam shouldn't be a religion of hardship so I don't understand this. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all on the straight path. La illa illallah

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Kamyar Majlessi said:

Why does the hair have to be dry to do wudu?

Only the places of Masah (wiping) have to be dry.  A wajib ghusl can substitute for wudhu. Other than that you can just dry the front part of your forehead(four fingers breadth) and a part of the foot (big toe Masah area) which isn't that difficult to just wipe dry with a towel and you can then do wudhu.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Kamyar Majlessi said:

I mean, just wiping with a towel won't dry it and I would just get waswasah

The area to be wiped can be damp. There is immersive wudhu too the details of which you can read from Syed Sistani's website or ask your resident Alim if he is knowledgeable enough.

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaykum,

I assume a Shia Muslim asked this question

Do you know why salah fajr is 2 rakaat? Do you know why should we read Hamd in salah? Why not another sourah? Why did God choose Allah as his Arabic name? Why should we pray in a specific order? Why is it Arabic? Why why why ...

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Salaam, 

Does anyone know what one should do if someone is doing wudu and the hair in general is still wet after trying to dry it several times? I’m not talking about the part of the wiping, usually I feel ok with drying that. But when doing the washing of my face, sometimes my hand touches my hair right above and it’s still a bit wet even after I try drying it, and I’m not sure if the water from the wudu and the water from the hair are allowed to mix.

Thank you. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

But when doing the washing of my face, sometimes my hand touches my hair right above and it’s still a bit wet even after I try drying it, and I’m not sure if the water from the wudu and the water from the hair are allowed to mix.

Salam,

That part of the hair does not need to be dry. When wiping the head, you can wipe to any extent on the front quarter of the head. You can even use one finger and wipe only a few centimeters of the head. As long as this area is dry or slightly damp, then the wiping is valid.

Ruling 249. The area that must be wiped is the front quarter of the head, i.e. the quarter immediately above the forehead. It is sufficient to wipe any part of this area and to any extent, although the recommended precaution is that the length of the wiping should be at least the length of one finger, and the width of the wiping should be at least the width of three fingers joined together.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2152/

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

That part of the hair does not need to be dry. When wiping the head, you can wipe to any extent on the front quarter of the head. You can even use one finger and wipe only a few centimeters of the head. As long as this area is dry or slightly damp, then the wiping is valid.

Asalamu Alaikum, 

Thank you so much for your reply! This part I do know. I am referring to when I am doing the first wash of the face at the start of wudu. When I finish taking a shower, I try to dry my hair and it still remains a bit wet on the sides other than used for wiping. When I do the first washing of my face, sometimes my hand touches/comes into contact with my hair above. I wanted to know if this is problematic. Wet hair coming into contact with the hand that is used to wash the face for wudu. Wudu water and the wetness from above the hair mixing when washing the face. 

thank you again! 

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

Wudu water and the wetness from above the hair mixing when washing the face. 

Wa Alaykum is-Salam,

If the wetness from your hair mixes with the wudu' water on a part of your hand, then that wetness cannot be used for wiping. However, the rest of the wetness on your hand (which the new water did not touch) can still be used for wiping. So if, for example, new water mixes with the wudu' water on my index finger, I can still use my middle finger, ring finger, and the rest of the hand for wiping as long as the new water does not reach there.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

Wa Alaykum is-Salam,

If the wetness from your hair mixes with the wudu' water on a part of your hand, then that wetness cannot be used for wiping. However, the rest of the wetness on your hand (which the new water did not touch) can still be used for wiping. So if, for example, new water mixes with the wudu' water on my index finger, I can still use my middle finger, ring finger, and the rest of the hand for wiping as long as the new water does not reach there.

This is so helpful, thank you!! So, is is then okay to use that hand to finish the washing of the arms? 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

So, is is then okay to use that hand to finish the washing of the arms?

Yes, you can use the entire hand for washing the arms. The only time when you should avoid getting new water mixed with the wudu' water on the hands is after completely washing both arms.