Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Recommended Posts

I've always found that learning languages is not only interesting but also opens many new doors.

What languages do you speak? and what languages would you like to learn? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moalfas said:

What languages do you speak?

Only Urdu and English. :(

 

6 hours ago, Moalfas said:

what languages would you like to learn

I have been making some efforts towards learning Arabic though Quranic Arabic not modern spoken Arabic. At one time in my life I really wanted to learn German, though not anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, starlight said:

 

I have been making some efforts towards learning Arabic though Quranic Arabic not modern spoken Arabic. At one time in my life I really wanted to learn German, though not anymore. 

Why were you interested in German? 

What methods are you using for the Arabic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

English and French

I have serious trouble with French. Are you Canadian? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Why were you interested in German? 

Nothing special. I just wanted to read some books written in German. I had some free time in my hands and know early intermediate german but other things came in the way.

14 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

What methods are you using for the Arabic? 

Some workbooks,worksheets, dictionaries, practicing Qur'an word to word translation, that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^Congrats

Meinen Duetsch ist fucbar.

Wode Zhong hua bu hen hao.

Nani?

No habla espania.

Like Molfas, French is_____ and they can't spell at all.

Forgot all my Latin from skool.

But my Anglish iz kinda okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, starlight said:

Some workbooks,worksheets, dictionaries, practicing Qur'an word to word translation, that's it.

Ever tried Arabic cartoons? They're great because it's proper Arabic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Ever tried Arabic cartoons? They're great because it's proper Arabic.

Lolz, nooo!! I didn't even know there were cartoons in Arabic !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only English :hahaha:

But apparently speaking two languages can slow the onset of dementia. And studies show that bilingual people, even those who can't read or learned their second language as adults, have better cognitive function and a reduced chance of developing dementia or Alzheimer's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Super ! Je ne savais pas qu'il y avait un autre francophone sur shiachat :cuddle: .

Je ne suis pas francophone. J'ai fait l'immersion française.:cuddle:

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can speak Urdu and English. I'm currently learning Farsi and I've made a lot of progress. You learn so much about different cultures by learning their language. It makes you more accepting and open-minded. Like I respect Persians more since I started learning Farsi and  I find their culture beautiful.

I also plan to learn Arabic in the future inshallah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:salam:

Fluent in speaking English, Urdu and Farsi. Can hold a relatively decent conversation in Arabic. Can make do with broken Punjabi (though I understand it completely).

Would love to learn German and French.

Wasalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

You have studied Persian and Arabic quite a bit though, haven't you?

Yes, I don't speak them to an extent to which I can say I am fluent at them. If I count semi fluent languages then we would have to add Persian, Arabic and Urdu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, habib e najjaar said:

Yes, I don't speak them to an extent to which I can say I am fluent at them. If I count semi fluent languages then we would have to add Persian, Arabic and Urdu.

Perhaps you may interpret the question the OP asks when he says which languages you speak to more generally which languages you can (to greater and lesser degrees) understand, in which case I must congratulate you on being such an accomplished polyglot. In all seriousness these do count as your languages since you can understand them (passive comprehension) and to some degree produce information in them (active comprehension). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Perhaps you may interpret the question the OP asks when he says which languages you speak to more generally which languages you can (to greater and lesser degrees) understand, in which case I must congratulate you on being such an accomplished polyglot. In all seriousness these do count as your languages since you can understand them (passive comprehension) and to some degree produce information in them (active comprehension). 

Some experiences in life taught me (the hard way) that you cannot say that you speak a language unless you are able to communicate effectively in that language to a native speaker, to defend your life and rights, in your own words in that language, pick any book written in that language and not get stuck reading and understanding it, write exactly what you mean to communicate etc. I cannot do these in Farsi, Arabic or Urdu, even though I can read, write, get the general gist of all of them. 

And of course, the ultimate test, poetry :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Some experiences in life taught me (the hard way) that you cannot say that you speak a language unless you are able to communicate effectively in that language to a native speaker, to defend your life and rights, in your own words in that language, pick any book written in that language and not get stuck reading and understanding it, write exactly what you mean to communicate etc. I cannot do these in Farsi, Arabic or Urdu, even though I can read, write, get the general gist of all of them. 

And of course, the ultimate test, poetry :cry:

In that sense fluency might be harder to come across. Usually language acquisition is rated on a scale ranging based on ability and knowledge. One is the IRL scale which the FSI uses -- I think. Another really popular one is the ECL test, though I really have no idea how either works or what the test which one takes for them would look like. Your own gauging of where you are is a good metric, you really have an idea of your own skills. In reality most people won't be able to pick up any book written in their own language and not get stuck reading it, some works are just tough pieces of literature and others are so technical that one needs an education or a kind of an education in them to understand. And as it regards understanding, it tends to be a very esoteric skill for some languages. I've seen you converse with relative ease with a Persian speaker, I can only presume you understand better than you speak -- as everyone does -- and that this carries over to Arabic and Urdu as well to varying degrees. One doesn't need to have bilingual or native proficiency to say they know a language, you might be an intermediate learner or even advanced learner and still be able to get by. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ali_fatheroforphans   I'm fluent in Arabic and English. Very basic Urdu and Farsi, which I'm working on strengthening inshallah. Once I feel able to conversate with ease in both Urdu and Farsi, I'd like to move onto Spanish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, starlight said:

Lolz, nooo!! I didn't even know there were cartoons in Arabic !! 

lol are there no Urdu/Hindi cartoons? 

Most Arabic cartoons are actually dubbed but it's a very good to strengthen Arabic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hasanhh said:

 

Wode Zhong hua bu hen hao.

I'm guessing this is Mandarin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...