In the Name of God بسم الله

What do you think of flat earthers?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

Where is the "I think that .."

Read the topic title? 

This "discussion" is like trying to talk with a stone. I'm done. Peace. May Allah guide us all. 

Edited by notme

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, notme said:

It has nothing to do with the shape, but rather with the religions fervor of the belief. If a person is genuinely ignorant of the shape of the Earth and assumes it is flat, that's nothing significant. The problem is Flat Earth cultists who seek to spread their Religion of lies to mislead believers. 

Who are you to judge why a person believes what they believe? Can you look into the hearts of ever person? To me you are the one ignorant of the truth, and that's ok.  Nobody's perfect. 

When discussing the shape of the Earth, then the discussion is about shape.

it seems some of my posts are too heretical to be approved. We must allude to the illusions.

However, Aristotle claimed the Earth was spherical before the Imams did and perhaps many old philisophers. Fact is we do not know, we all like to pretend we are intelligent but are afraid in our own dark rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

• Veteran Member

(daha):   ROUND and SPHERICAL:

• إندحَّ بطنه إندحاحاّ اي إتّسع  His tummy became round and bigger.

• In Prophet Muhammad's Hadith: كان لأسامة بطننٌ مُندحٌ اي متسع   Osama had a round and big tummy.

• و بطنٌ مُنداحُ أي خارخٌ مُدوّر  His tummy is mun-daahun means it is OUT THERE AND ROUND مُدوّر.

• و رجلٌّ دحدحُ اي قصير غليظ البطن    A man is dahda-hun which means he is short, stocky and has a big and fat tummy.

• الدحداح هو المستدير الململم    The dahdaah is the person who is ROUND and STOCKY.

• الدِردِحة من النساء التي طولها و عرضها سواء  Al-dir-dihati from the women is the one whose height and width look the same!  SHE LOOKS ROUND, and the by the way, the distance between the Earth's north and south poles is approximately only 45 miles shorter than the Earth's width.
  •  
    دحا   (daha): الدوحة أي المظلة العظيمة  Al-Doha, as in Qatar's capital,  means a big umbrella

@Mr.... 313 who is disbelieving in the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) now?

However, it is obvious you will not believe so discussion is useless. Now you will bring the verse of spread carpet. I have had so many of such "debates". Also you will not even touch the satellite receiver dish science. I know. None of you can. To you your beliefs man. Peace.

P.S.: "Spread carpet only means it has a workable surface. Because the surface is smooth enough are we able to build and farm easily. The context of the verse is same and it also talks about paths which are difficult to carve out even today when we reach hilly areas.

Edited by Darth Vader

• Advanced Member
    3 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

(daha):   ROUND and SPHERICAL:

• إندحَّ بطنه إندحاحاّ اي إتّسع  His tummy became round and bigger.

• In Prophet Muhammad's Hadith: كان لأسامة بطننٌ مُندحٌ اي متسع   Osama had a round and big tummy.

• و بطنٌ مُنداحُ أي خارخٌ مُدوّر  His tummy is mun-daahun means it is OUT THERE AND ROUND مُدوّر.

• و رجلٌّ دحدحُ اي قصير غليظ البطن    A man is dahda-hun which means he is short, stocky and has a big and fat tummy.

• الدحداح هو المستدير الململم    The dahdaah is the person who is ROUND and STOCKY.

• الدِردِحة من النساء التي طولها و عرضها سواء  Al-dir-dihati from the women is the one whose height and width look the same!  SHE LOOKS ROUND, and the by the way, the distance between the Earth's north and south poles is approximately only 45 miles shorter than the Earth's width.
  •  
    دحا   (daha): الدوحة أي المظلة العظيمة  Al-Doha, as in Qatar's capital,  means a big umbrella

@Mr... 313 who is disbelieving in the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) now?

I see no contradiction. Saying the Earth is round and with some height like a ring is not in contradiction with Qur'an, and the Prophets description. Nobody said the Earth is totally flat. And in any case the word is only used once in the Qur'an, and if you read my study you will see many other points that you can reflect into yourself. You don't even need to discuss it with me. I respect if you think the Earth is a ball, a cake or a rooster. 

• Advanced Member
    8 minutes ago, Guest Monad said:

However, Aristotle claimed the Earth was spherical before the Imams did and perhaps many old philisophers

If you can bring a hadiths like that I'd be thankful. Because all the hadiths I found from all religions and Prophets say it is rather flat.

• Advanced Member

Another thing Mr. @Darth Vader 

That last post of yours ends by saying that Doha means umbrella. We all know what shape an umbrella is. It's the shape of a dome. Just as it is described in the bible if you include the firmament. Just as it is described in the Qur'an with invisible pillars and all.

• Veteran Member
    10 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

I respect if you think the Earth is a ball, a cake or a rooster. 

I don't need it. I have studied the whole thing many times. Qur'an also tells us of 7 earths. I suppose you believe they are piled up like pancakes, being flat? Remember that Qur'an is an answer, it rather solves mysteries. IF Earth is flat then there must have been talk of something below it, like an ox or a greek God carrying it, but there isn't. There is, however, talk of spherical orbits and heavenly bodies floating in their set paths. There is no reason to assume as you have. The other creation with Earth that he talk of is the sky. The sky envelopes the Earth. This is the explanation. No oxen or greek men are holding it up. If it was flat then there would have been mention of the pedastal on which it rests.

Because the Earth's surface has been smoothened (unlike the moon or other planets) is why we can farm and build paths and roads easily and build structures. Even today if a road reaches a hilly area it is difficult to carve out a straight and easy, leveled way. Therefore Allah mentions His bounties for us with its mention.

There is really no room for flat Earth theory in the Qur'an.

• Advanced Member
    15 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

IF Earth is flat then there must have been talk of something below it, like an ox or a greek God carrying it, but there isn't.

Actually the Prophet talked about the layers I  the hadiths of that Islamic cosmology thread. 

Yes the 7 earths are layered the same way like the heavens, according to the Qur'an.Aso according to the Qur'an the Earth was created before the 7 Earth were raised. Something to think about. 

• Advanced Member
    17 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

There is really no room for flat Earth theory in the Qur'an

I see it the exact opposite way. Even your only quranic proof above goes 180 degrees against each and every translator on Earth. So I don't see any proof whatsoever that Earth is a kora (ball) that betsabi7 (floats) around the sun.

• Moderators
    On 10/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, notme said:

One can not be Muslim and a Flat Earth Cultist. 

Salams,

I'll preface everything I say with that I believe the Earth is a sphere and orbits the sun, I don't think that's contrary to religion as well.

I'm not sure where such a criterion for faith is being derived. I don't agree with those that believe in a flat Earth, obviously. I hardly think about the movement unless it's brought up. I think the members are silly, gullible, and badly in need of some critical thought and a bit of education. Nowadays at least it's very easy to verify the Earth is not flat. That being said, just because you believe the Earth is flat you don't need to believe in it the same way that Neo-Nazi supposedly did -- if he did. Muslims thinking the Earth was flat comes down from the Prophet's life until today, with it being an opinion of major Shia fuqaha (obviously not scientists and obviously incorrect) even a couple of centuries ago, this is based off certain literal readings of the Qur'an.

One definitely can easily read a cosmology of the Earth in the Qur'an that has it as a flat expanse of land floating in a primordial ocean with the waters divided by a firmament, and heavenly lights in that firmament with some being cast down to chastise devils. This Earth is held down by mountains like a tent being held down by tent pegs to stabilize it. Such a cosmology isn't very far off from the way the Biblical writers understood the Earth. The verbs the Qur'an use like دحا (as quoted by @Darth Vader -- and the other instances of that verb you quoted aren't the same verbal stem, they're derived stems or doubled stems, in the G-stem it means to level, to flatten, to expand out as an ostrich does to the ground before laying her eggs) very clearly refer to something being flat, expanded out, and leveled. It isn't necessarily the case that the Qur'an actually intends to say the Earth is indeed flat, though, or that the Earth and moon are orbiting it, and that there is an actual firmament to keep out the heavenly waters and that meteors are actually meant to chastise devils. But one can very easily read that from the Qur'an, conclude the above, and still be a Muslim.

At the end of the day, one is just wrong for understanding the Earth to be flat. I won't really debate it because it's an incredible waste of time to debate something so obviously false that a picture of the Earth would disprove it. If Muslims find the need to marry themselves to this position they'll find themselves becoming as irrelevant, stupid, and silly as Evangelical Christians talking about the impossibility of evolution and how the Earth is 6000 years old with dinosaurs once having lived with humans.

313 - I was poor in my explanation.  The Earth's circumference was first determined around 240 BC by Eratosthenes

But who knows, even all history could be nothing but just made up literature. Keep the masses enslaved for some strange purpose.

If I side with you on this matter, what is rather interesting is how society has jumped to disprove the flat Earth theory. Humans only debate on was is important especially when its connected to fear. Question is why has the flat Earth theory gained value?.

there are some fundamental questions such as, why are humans always fighting?. With all the intelligence out there division is constantly upheld.

Either humans are actually stupid, or there is some grand scheme going on for what purpose? I suppose that purpose is dependent on whats one belief system is, but all belief systems are almost childlike, keeping us in a child like state of control. Consider the objective is to control 7+billion brains, minds, emotions. Clearly humans are not actually fit to exist together especially if they all have free will in their thought process.

• Moderators

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi I feel a need to point out the difference between believing the Earth to be flat and adhering to the Flat Earth Movement. As I stated above, it is only adherence to a second religious belief that I found problematic, not an individual's understanding of the shape of the universe. 

My original statement was unclear in its meaning. I do not mean shape of the planet is fundamental to religious belief. Pardon my lack of clarity; eloquence is not one of my strengths. 

• Moderators

By convincing people that science and religion are contradictory, people are forced to choose "sides". It degrades religion by painting adherents as backwards and ultimately encourages atheism. 

• Advanced Member
    3 hours ago, Guest Monad said:

313 - I was poor in my explanation.  The Earth's circumference was first determined around 240 BC by Eratosthenes

But who knows, even all history could be nothing but just made up literature. Keep the masses enslaved for some strange purpose.

If I side with you on this matter, what is rather interesting is how society has jumped to disprove the flat Earth theory. Humans only debate on was is important especially when its connected to fear. Question is why has the flat Earth theory gained value?.

there are some fundamental questions such as, why are humans always fighting?. With all the intelligence out there division is constantly upheld.

Either humans are actually stupid, or there is some grand scheme going on for what purpose? I suppose that purpose is dependent on whats one belief system is, but all belief systems are almost childlike, keeping us in a child like state of control. Consider the objective is to control 7+billion brains, minds, emotions. Clearly humans are not actually fit to exist together especially if they all have free will in their thought process.

Very good questions and points dear Monad. Well, for me what first convinced me was the scientific, rational and historic aspect. Only weeks later did I tackle it from a religious point of view. 

Of course we are living in mass deception, and most people will act like agents in the matrix, who will relentlessly defend the status quo of perceived reality, as if they are fighting for their own personal honor. What difference does it make for peoples personal lives if I believe the Earth is differently shaped? None. But if you read above, including the latest moderator comment, people throw offensive words against us on a personal level (example:"   silly, gullible, and badly in need of some critical thought and a bit of education"). They can't discuss objectively, they have to fight whoever questions the status quo. If you question main stream anything you can expect to be attacked. But those who resist don't care and take pride in being among the few gentle beings who can discuss like a gentleman, and still have no problem defending themselves. I hope God accepts my efforts. You can't take 'my' side in anything. It's either you see something as truth, while I see it too, or one of us sees something else as truth, while the other stands with falsehood. If we both stand with the truth on any matter, then we stand with Allah, who is also know  as al Haqq, or the Truth. We can just hope that we are right, therefore it doesn't make sense to be arrogant and condescending like some people here. Iblis' downfall was his attitude of "I'm better than you". He was mtakabir, self engranding- Allahu Akbar! So some peoples attitude here mocking Qur'an and fellow members shows how sure they are of themselves. I never claimed to know anything 100%. If anybody can prove me wrong I will gladly admit my false opinion, be thankful and move on. I don't take these things personally, and I definitely wouldn't start an attack against somebody even if they worship satan openly. What do I care? It's their problem and not mine.

So anyway here is the video that opened the topic of flat Earth in my mind..

A good measuring stick of why or why not lies and conspiracies get spread by hezbulshaytan is to see how they benefit. I have some answers to this, and maybe I'll mention my ideas, but I'm sure any of us can come up with reason why as well. One reason is that the pharaonic satanic sun-worshipping religion is totally sun focused. For some reason people who worship satan also worship stars and the sun an moon. Making us feel so small and insignificant compared to this humongous sun, makes us feel dominated by this heavenly body.I  flat Earth theory the sun is very humble in size and not so far away. Much smaller than Earth.tiny actually, in comparison, almost can not be compared. 

Edited by 313 Seeker

• Advanced Member
    3 hours ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

I think the members are silly, gullible, and badly in need of some critical thought and a bit of education.

What is it with you mods and admins of this site? You should be the standradbearers of good manners and respect of personal opinions. You should be ordering people to encourage free and polite conduct. Instead you team members are the first to attack people personally with offensive personal attacks. I am the only person here to represent one line of thought. Instead of encouraging a civilised dialogue you throw in words like that.

I am probably one of the few people who keeps posting on here at times even though the moderator and administrator team ( the active ones anyway) attack me on a personal and unacceptable level. Of course members also join in and its basically everybody against me. Kind of cowardly I would say. I've faced this situation again and again. Like a man alone against gangs of like minded people who apply disrespectful tactics against me.

Let me remind everyone that even if you're right about something it does not mean that you'll be forgiven by Allah in the end. Iblis fears God and knows very well that Mohammed is a Prophet and that Ali is the next in line. But knowing things isn't enough. What I'm saying is that arrogance is the biggest problem, and what you mods are doing here (with at least one admin supporting the initial wrong post), is you are encouraging this behaviour. People look up to you and respect you.

• Advanced Member
    3 hours ago, notme said:

By convincing people that science and religion are contradictory, people are forced to choose "sides". It degrades religion by painting adherents as backwards and ultimately encourages atheism. 

To me science and religion both show the same results. 

Some people actually become religious because of this. So it can encourage the opposite of atheism. If one is secure in ones believe one wont feel threatened by what others think.

• Advanced Member
    1 minute ago, notme said:

To me also. 

Ok no problem. One of us is wrong about the shape of this Earth and the cosmos. Personally I don't mind if you are wrong or right. I am aware that even of you are wrong about this issue, you can end up in paradise, while I could end up in hell. So I don't judge you negatively even of you have a different belief. At least I try my best to be this way, and I think this is the core essence of religion. How to be a better person who accepts others for who they are, because Allah created them just that way. With their rights and with their wrongs, just like my mistakes and strong points. 

• Moderators
    57 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

What is it with you mods and admins of this site? You should be the standradbearers of good manners and respect of personal opinions. You should be ordering people to encourage free and polite conduct. Instead you team members are the first to attack people personally with offensive personal attacks. I am the only person here to represent one line of thought. Instead of encouraging a civilised dialogue you throw in words like that.

I'm sorry you took offence, but there's really no nicer way to put it. It's a view point that's was proven wrong with trigonometry 2200 years ago and is a few hundred years pass the point of being a serious view point. I'm sorry to say but there is nothing respectable about this opinion. By all means hold it but it's as laughable as thinking there's actually a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If you feel like moderators are stopping you from discussing this then I'll work to help you, as silly as it is I don't think you should be censored from espousing this view. But on a personal level I can't respect it at least today. Sh. Yusuf al-Bahrani couldn't see a live stream of the Earth for heaven's sake. I really have no idea how you are as a person, I'll refrain from making any judgement. But I really can't take anyone seriously if they're trying to tell me the Earth is flat and scientists are taking part in a conspiracy but people on youtube discovered the truth.

Like I said, we as Muslims run the risk of looking as unimportant, irrelevant, uneducated, silly, and ignorant as Evangelicals if we marry ourselves to such silly notions on scriptural bases.

Edited by Ibn Al-Ja'abi

• Advanced Member

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi

As a moderator you should be a champion of word choice and avoiding offensive terms. Otherwise you are in the wrong job. If you want we can open a training tread in basic "diplomacy" and correct expression. Maybe I can help.

As what concerns your opinion of what has been disproven, others will disagree. If you use google you will find that your opinions have been discussed very deeply with many layers and counter arguments back and forth. I don't need to debunk anything myself here because that is boring and unnecessary.

Just be sure that you could be wrong about NY opinion. God is the only one who has the right to be sure and mutakabbir. So don't take for granted that you are right, even if you consider both sides of the story - which I didn't see you do.

If you- as you claim- can't respect members opinions on this forum, then maybe it's time for you to move on. Just food for thought. Mods should be moderating and not use their colours to disrespectfully push their own opinions. 

• Moderators

Salams @313 Seeker,

Like I said before, sorry you feel that way. Also like I said before, I won't be getting into a discussion about why the Earth is round -- visit the children's section in your local library to find more information about that. I'm here to moderate threads and if you feel I'm doing a poor job you can report me, as can any other member. As far as respecting any view that can be espoused, I certainly don't feel like I'm under any obligation especially when they're this ridiculous. I haven't used my moderating powers to silence you, hide your posts, or warn you for saying these silly things, I just pointed out they're silly and would've done the same if I was a normal member. If you pointed out to me the Earth was the center of the solar system, the sky is really a roof and the stars are holes in it with light passing in, that the Earth is resting on top of a giant turtle swimming the primordial ocean, or that leprechauns guard a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I would've thought it was as stupid as saying the Earth is flat. It's just like when atheists say there's no God or people tell me there's no objective good or evil, though some might say it's a bit more obvious that the Earth is round. I won't get into that but my point is just because you can hold an opinion it doesn't mean it's a good one entitled to my respect, indeed as can be seen in the aforementioned examples and with this thread, some opinions are downright silly and ridiculous. Good luck with everything is all I can really say, perhaps reread the Qur'an or those aforementioned children's books. Beyond that, I really hope that this is the extent of your credulity, because this certainly isn't good reasoning or critical thinking -- and does not amount in you, therefore, growing as a person. Anyways, good luck and all the best.

wassalam

• Advanced Member

Wasalam @Ibn Al-Ja'abi

It seems impossible for you to talk respectfully as you yourself admit that you don't respect my opinion. I respect your opinion, even if it is different than mine. That I think is mature way of thinking. Something that needs to be taught in children's books. You keep using words like "ridiculous", "silly", while judging my "credibility, reasoning and thinking". If you think of it those comments are condescending and totally pointless. Do they contain any form of substance or information that can benefit the discussion? No! Does your self proclaimed disrespect benefit the discussion, or even proving your point? No! Does your consciously disrespectful handling of opposing opinions shed a good light on us as Muslims? No! Will readers who see me being personally attacked and judged feel free to express themselves without fear of being disrespected? No! Most members will think twice if their opinions are aligned with the active mods and admins because they are biased and talk in a disrespectful way if it doesn't suit their opinions. Will your attitude of disrespect even open the door of people wanting to consider your opinions? No! The people don't like to consider opinions of people who use disrespectful language. It gets personal. My opinion about the shape of Earth isn't an attack against you, so your attacks against my intelligence are initiated by you. Maybe you can understand these words and maybe not. But moderators should be the most neutral people on this site, and not the main people to discuss. They should stop people from using disrespectful language, even if the disrespectful people share your opinion. Mods and Admins should be almost having their opinions in the background, to see clearly and to make everybody feel comfortable to express themselves regardless of their opinions. Just because you believe something, it doesn't mean that you have the right to disrespect others for having different opinions. As I said, this is the basic ABCs of religion, and should be taught to 3 year olds in kindergarten if possible.

7 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

Iblis' downfall was his attitude of "I'm better than you". He was mtakabir, self engranding- Allahu Akbar! So some peoples attitude here mocking Qur'an and fellow members shows how sure they are of themselves.

^ So you think Mods, Admins and other members are arrogant and act like Shaytan? That is kind of rude, brother.

6 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

maybe it's time for you to move on. Just food for thought. Mods should be moderating and not use their colours to disrespectfully push their own opinions. 

^ So you want to give your own opinion but Mods and Admins cannot have their own opinions? That's not fair.  

• Moderators
    7 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

I am probably one of the few people who keeps posting on here at times even though the moderator and administrator team ( the active ones anyway) attack me on a personal and unacceptable level. Of course members also join in and its basically everybody against me. Kind of cowardly I would say. I've faced this situation again and again. Like a man alone against gangs of like minded people who apply disrespectful tactics against me.

Brother, you calling Mods and Admins and Members "cowardly" and "gangs" was not very nice. Let's all be polite.  

• Veteran Member

At the end of the day one will have to go to lengths to prove the shape of the planet either way while using Islamic sources. Why its not more clearly described is probably because it does not matter what the shape is. Does it matter or change your life or faith in any way or shape or form, even if you plan on circumnavigating it? Nope.

Is the Earth spread out and smooth like a carpet? Sure, look at the moon its full of craters of various sizes, from tiny to gigantic, compared to smoothness of Earth's surface its like a very badly chicken pox scarred face in fact worse. A carpet spreads out and takes the shape on the floor beneath it and makes it comfortable to rest upon or move around on.

The Earth is spinning, moving. Its so obvious. In the night and day model some people try to show they omit all the stars but we know that all the stars and galaxies will rise in the evening sky from the east and set in the west just like the sun and the moon. So if the Earth was resting on the back of a turtle and the universe is revolving around it, that's very, very far fetched. It means the stars are spinning at much faster than light speeds and the more distant ones are even faster while the moon and the sun are slower and that there is a certain mathematical expression determining the speed of each star and it is inversely proportional to their respective distance to the Earth. But its a ridiculous model. To make it a tad less ridiculous, they then have:

Flat-Earth-340x218.png.84a035ab28040b59bd3a700101cb11f8.png

:- a spinning, revolving disc! Shaped like a coin.

But there is still problems with this model. Gravity is very important. What is generating it if we forget Newton, then how does it work? Also:

64272911_1078443952353142_4655059840882704384_n.jpg.31e34c2f2dda2a70d212728edb382a42.jpg

Why haven't we seen this?

The flat earthers (I hope you feel ok being called that) just like they misinterpret the verses of the Earth being spread out, expanded and flattened and smooth like a carpet, will give very small scaled observations and then conclude that the entire expanse of the planet is flat. Like this one:

7ed.jpg.f25ae7fc8a695e1c85b67863a8b1aae0.jpg

So I think this debate will go on without end. Those who know, will know. While for the others we can only pray.

However I will write that by insisting that the religion of Islam supports flat Earth, the flat earthers are only helping the kuffar trying to make it look false. What does God call those who help and support the kuffar against Him? THIS IS NOT AN ALLEGATION. It is what they are doing and what is happening. Do a google search and you will see darwinists and Christians and other enemies of Islam also insisting that Islam says the planet Earth is flat while it does not. So that's the situation.

Edited by Darth Vader

• Advanced Member
    13 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

Something that needs to be taught in children's books.

Salam your whole idea & idea of this video is like as Disk world only reality that movie said is about creting Gps & Internet & doing some secret researches by secret service of American military that backs to establishing it by Nazis after migration of their researches to America 

نتیجه تصویری برای ‪disk world‬‏

نتیجه تصویری برای ‪disk world‬‏

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

this a hadith about it but needs research by wise people because looks like that somehow confirms flat Earth but it can refers to many thing like as layers of Earth or sequences of Earth from water then gas & magma & then creation mountains like as crashing surface of Earth by com horns also Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) & Aban ibn Taqalob were most knowledgeable people of their time that both of them agreed on spherical Earth but Imam describes everything in symbolic form for hiding valuable information from enemies & this Hadith is mentioned Rowda of Kafi that this part contains many weak Hadiths & strange and symbolic stories that Alma Shahrastani that analyzed  this narration based on current astronomy was a shafii Ashʿari that had tendency toward Ismailism which weakens his analyze that until now this hadith doesn't analyze by a group of wise scholars & experts with 12er Shia viewpoint  .

Aban ibn Taqalob quotes from Imam Sadeq (عليه السلام) when I asked him: "What is the Earth on?" He said: On the water.I said What  water stands  on it ? He said: On the stone. I said What  stone stands  on it ? He said: On the horns of the road able cattle. I said What  cow stands  on it ?Imam Said on moistured Earth (soil) then I said What  moistured Earth (soil) stands  on it ? that Imam said   in response :Alas there is the place that science of scientists becomes  lost (wandered)

kafi v 8 , p 89 

شانی : الکافي , جلد 8 , صفحه 89
    عنوان باب : > الجزء الثامن > كِتَابُ اَلرَّوْضَةِ > حَدِيثُ اَلْحُوتِ عَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ هُوَ
    معصوم : امام صادق B
    مُحَمَّدٌ عَنْ أَحْمَدَ عَنِ اِبْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَنْ جَمِيلِ بْنِ صَالِحٍ عَنْ أَبَانِ بْنِ تَغْلِبَ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اَللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ اَلسَّلاَمُ قَالَ: سَأَلْتُهُ عَنِ اَلْأَرْضِ عَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ هِيَ قَالَ هِيَ عَلَى حُوتٍ قُلْتُ فَالْحُوتُ عَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ هُوَ قَالَ عَلَى اَلْمَاءِ قُلْتُ فَالْمَاءُ عَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ هُوَ قَالَ عَلَى صَخْرَةٍ قُلْتُ فَعَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ اَلصَّخْرَةُ قَالَ عَلَى قَرْنِ ثَوْرٍ أَمْلَسَ قُلْتُ فَعَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ اَلثَّوْرُ قَالَ عَلَى اَلثَّرَى قُلْتُ فَعَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ اَلثَّرَى فَقَالَ
    هَيْهَاتَ عِنْدَ ذَلِكَ ضَلَّ عِلْمُ اَلْعُلَمَاءِ .
    Among the Sunnis apparently attracted by the “new preaching” was the heresiographer and Ash'ari theologian Al-Shahrastani (d. 1143). Although he kept his relations with the Nizariyah secret, they were revealed by his student Al-Sam'ani. Among his extant writings are some crypto-Ismaili works including an incomplete Qur'an commentary in which he used Ismaili terminology and hinted at his conversion by a “pious servant of God” who had taught him the esoteric principles of Qur'anic exegesis. 

At first, it seems that "Hoot حوت" means fish, while not because it is likely to be one of the twelve constellations; also Thor is such that both the name of a famous animal and One of the constellations , about the  Al-Shams, which means the upper part of the sun, so the concept of hadith differs from our earlier conception of it and can be understood with a bit of thought.

The great philosopher of the Qajar era, the philosopher Mullah Ali Noori, who re-enacted transcendent wisdom in the thirteenth century, utilized rational wisdom and narrative to interpret this narrative, and, contrary to the appearance of the narrative,lead the contents of the narrative and to nature morality of human and has been interpreted it.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Unregistered

How many people have actually seen the shape of the Earth?

Going by what others say doesn't mean it's true.

Whether Earth is flat, round, triangle, rectangle.. doesn't really matter much for us. How many here will actually see the shape of Earth?

You can probably use math to come to the conclusion that Earth is somewhat round. But the flat earthers have also used math to come to the conclusion that Earth is flat, though in different ways.

Now how do we know who's right, and who's wrong? we don't. We just go with what we where learned by our teachers/parents or scientist. But they could also be wrong, or not tell the truth for whatever reason.

So calling people ignorant because they choose to believe Earth is flat is not correct thing to do. Because you could both could be wrong. what if Earth is actually a rectangle?...