Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AStruggler

The Imams (a), Malik al Ashtar, Zurarah, and Other Companions...

Rate this topic

I'm curious. I know that the Imams (a) while being Imams (a), still lived human-like lives to set an example for us. 

1. I heard that Imam Jaffer Sadiq (a) was one of the richest (in the worldly-sense) of Medina in his time. What was the Imam's "career"? I know that Imam Jaffer was a taught thousands of students, but was his worldy career? Did the Imam do busniess? Aside from the 6th Imam, what did the other Imams (a) do for their "wordly career"? What did Imam Ali (a) do?
  2. What did the great companion of Imam Ali (a), Malik al Ashtar do for a living? Was he a businessman? Was a scholar who studied under Imam Ali (a)? Did he do some kind of trade?
  3. I heard that the great companion of the 6th Imam (a), Zurarah, was one of the greatest students and companions of the 6th Imam (عليه السلام). I heard he was a top faqih for the Shias trained by the 6th Imam (a)? Was there anything else he did? Or was being a scholar his full-time busy-ness in the dunya? 
  4. In general, what did the closest companions of the Imams (a) do in terms of career in the world? Were all the closest companions of the Imams learned scholars? Or did they do other stuff too?
Edited by AStruggler

7 hours ago, AStruggler said:

What was the Imam's "career"?

Did you use the word 'career' ? 

The word career is for you and me and others alike, but not for them. 

Edited by ShiaMahamed

On 10/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, AStruggler said:

heard that Imam Jaffer Sadiq (a) was one of the richest (in the worldly-sense) of Medina in his time. What was the Imam's "career"? I know that Imam Jaffer was a taught thousands of students, but was his worldy career? Did the Imam do busniess? Aside from the 6th Imam, what did the other Imams (a) do for their "wordly career"? What did Imam Ali (a) do?

The Black Market

The dependants of Imam Ja'afer Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) had increased in number; so had his expenses. The
Imam decided to invest some money in trade to meet the increased expenses of the house. He
arranged for an amount of thousand Dinars which he gave to his slave named 'Musadif' directing him to proceed to Egypt and to invest the amount in business on behalf of Imam.

Musadif purchased some goods usually exported to Egypt, and joined a Caravan of traders, who were taking the same type of merchandise to Egypt.........

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"Glory be to God! You did such a work! You took oath to create a black market among the Mus- lims! You swore not to sell the goods at less than double the actual cost! No. I don't want such business and such profit'."

Then picking up one of the bags, he said, "This is my capital." He did not even touch the other one, and said that he did not want to have any connection with that.

Then he said:

"O Musadif! It is easier to fight with a sword than to earn the livelihood lawfully."

https://www.al-Islam.org/anecdotes-pious-men-ayatullah-murtadha-mutahhari/black-market

it also reported that Imam Sadiq himself was working as countryman in his farm 

What did the great companion of Imam Ali (a), Malik al Ashtar do for a living? Was he a businessman? Was a scholar who studied under Imam Ali (a)? Did he do some kind of trade?

all reports are about his battles so it seems he was using war booties from wars of previous caliphs with Romans like as battle of Yarmuk & some reports are saying he attended in The Battle of al-Qadisiyyah with Iranians & was one of founders of Kufa that became resident with his tribe in eastern part of mosque of Kufa   but he was using his wealth just for a very simple life & he was living from monthly earning from treasury of Muslim that was distributing among all Muslims by Imam Ali (عليه السلام) from incomes from khums & zakat & some war booties.

I heard that the great companion of the 6th Imam (a), Zurarah, was one of the greatest students and companions of the 6th Imam (عليه السلام). I heard he was a top faqih for the Shias trained by the 6th Imam (a)? Was there anything else he did? Or was being a scholar his full-time busy-ness in the dunya? 

it said that he was son of roman slave that his father was a priest that captured by Muslims & after memorizing Qur'an & becoming a Muslim released from  slavery that he and his sons had a very simple life maybe from a share of khums that Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) was receiving from wealthy Shias specially the merchants.

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Zurara_b._A'yan

https://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/question/fa18805

n general, what did the closest companions of the Imams (a) do in terms of career in the world? Were all the closest companions of the Imams learned scholars? Or did they do other stuff too?

in conclusion it said that some of them were merchants for example when Arabs in Kufa didn't accept that Iranians have same right as them , he said to Iranians to start merchant business in Kufa and said Halal earning has 10 ways that 9 ways of it is trough merchandise so he blessed Shias in merchandise  like as first deputy of Imam Mahdi (aj) that was an oil merchant & rest of them were receiving a share from khums that Imams (عليه السلام) were receiving from all Shia merchants  .

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Uthman_b._Sa'id

Edited by Ashvazdanghe