Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
3wliya_maryam

Define Forgiveness

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

What is the meaning of forgiveness?

Personally, so no one gets all defensive here, I think of forgiveness as a completion of ones inner peace.

are you that type of person to hold grudges or forgive and forget?

I don't think I've ever held a grudge against anyone, I don't even need to say the words I forgive you, because Im someone who loves too deeply (something that isn't so good) so even if someone doesn't say sorry to me, I wont think of forgiveness at all... I'll just accept what happened. Sometimes I do forget, sometimes I don't, depends on the severity.

would you still be friends with the person who hurt you?

Most definitely. Maybe trust-wise, I wont be able to hold them in the same account, however they'll be the same person I loved and will continue to love them the same.

would you forgive someone who for instance killed someone you loved?

I have a personal past where something happened to my mother, and Alhamdulilah my mum didn't die, but she did end up in hospital, and I never loved that person that hurt my mum, I never had any positive experiences from them, but, I remember talking to my mum about it, And she told me, she forgave the person and that I should too. I ended up saying, "I don't need to forgive them, But I will never forget." 

In moments of  extreme anger and hurt, I would probably say that I don't forgive you, but on the inside, I'll just want to go and give them a big hug (to the ones that hurt me that I love). I'm someone who has difficulty with understanding on how to deal with someone who hurts me, because I always end up welcoming them in. People in high school used to call me "doormat" because of it. Because even when they're wrong, Im afraid to speak up because I don't want to inflict any hurt, because I apologise even when I feel that they've wronged me, because Ill love them no matter what... Im very Naive too, I used to believe that everyone was kind and everyone had good intentions, I used to believe that theres no such thing as "leaving". 

Oh well... It is what it is... All of what I said above, I see as weaknesses. And sometimes I see it as strength. 

At the end of the day for me, if I see that person well and alive and smiling, Ill forget everything they've done., Ill give them a very big warm hug and let them know that I love them. And thats all that matters to me. 

Its very sad that I realised very lately that many people lack understanding, they lack empathy and they hold too much negativity inside... And that in itself hurts me.

Edited by Ruqaya101

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says

العفو تاج المكارم

Forgiveness is the crown of nobility 

I think those three beautiful words by Imam Ali (عليه السلام) can easily be turned into a 200 page dissertation.

There are dozens of ahadeeth and sayings regarding forgiveness which only serve to remind of the importance of forgiving. 

It's no easy task to let go of animosity or resentment towards the one who's wronged  you. But it's a discipline definitely worth working on. 

Guest Abu Talib
12 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

Forgiveness is also a deep subject, it's wide with various meanings. 

“Whether you ask forgiveness for them or do not ask forgiveness for them; if you ask forgiveness for them seventy times, Allah will not forgive them..." 9:80

Forgiveness is the best revenge. Imam Ali(عليه السلام)

Insha'Allah hoping to learn from this thread things like the moment of forgiveness, who is to be forgiven, why must they be ignored, trying to do all, be it forgiveness or hate, all hoping to be done just to please Him(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

ws

This is the meaning of forgiveness, it should always return to the following question:

Let them pardon and overlook. Would you not love for Allah to forgive you? Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. Surat An-Nur 24:22

I've always wondered about this. Do we have to forgive someone who severely wronged us? What if you just can’t let go of how much they hurt you? Also Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in the Qur'an says that He forgives the ones who repent. So what if someone doesn't even feel remorse for what they did to you? 

Guest Monad

Many go years without ever understanding anything or we generally contradict overselves, because it is easier for the mind. I am about you break your minds, only if you have the ability to think clearly will it sink in.

Forgivness is.

I stab you and make you bleed.

Then I ask for forgivness because either, I realised I was wrong, my emotions took the better of me, I gained my advantage, I was uneducated, I got the same in return and learned my lesson or I fear the repercussion due to illness, old age, weakness, life, love of something, person, life, material or just social order or social hierarchy.

While you walk with the scars, pain or loss of time, I then expect it to be all okay, because I asked for forgivness.

Now there are some who are remorseful and try to fix the problems they have caused. Some cannot.

Peace is far superior then discord.

The true objective of forgivness is to ensue peace. Social order is needed. But one must live and endure the pain. Either it makes your stronger or breaks you.

But we do have a law system in all systems.

Generally we forgive because we expect reciprocity from a higher power. Perhaps in a distant future.

if God is all forgiving, why not forgive the killers of the Prophets and Imams? or do we only not forgive when elites are murdered but not the peasant class?.

Forgivness is subjective based on the crime and personal self. If I can take revenge then I wont forgive. If I cannot, then I will forgive.

We all want something and none of us admit how we gained it.

Guest Mzwakhe Kgomo
On 10/18/2019 at 6:26 AM, Abu Nur said:

Let them pardon and overlook. Would you not love for Allah to forgive you? Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. Surat An-Nur 24:22

This is true as is 9:80

On 10/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, karbalaii said:

I've always wondered about this. Do we have to forgive someone who severely wronged us? What if you just can’t let go of how much they hurt you? Also Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in the Qur'an says that He forgives the ones who repent. So what if someone doesn't even feel remorse for what they did to you? 

the trick is forgiveness, irrespective of what they did.

Forgiving for the sake of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is the key.

The dead walking, those who traded their souls lack remorse yet it is not about them, it's about forgiveness, irrespective of what they did/do.

ws

On 10/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Guest Abu Talib said:

Forgiveness is also a deep subject, it's wide with various meanings. 

“Whether you ask forgiveness for them or do not ask forgiveness for them; if you ask forgiveness for them seventy times, Allah will not forgive them..." 9:80

Forgiveness is the best revenge. Imam Ali(عليه السلام)

Insha'Allah hoping to learn from this thread things like the moment of forgiveness, who is to be forgiven, why must they be ignored, trying to do all, be it forgiveness or hate, all hoping to be done just to please Him(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

ws

Salam, What is the meaning of that verse?

On 10/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, Guest Monad said:

if God is all forgiving, why not forgive the killers of the Prophets and Imams? or do we only not forgive when elites are murdered but not the peasant class?.

Forgivness is subjective based on the crime and personal self. If I can take revenge then I wont forgive. If I cannot, then I will forgive.

We all want something and none of us admit how we gained it.

Interesting. Can the killers of the Prophets and Imams be forgiven if they ask for forgiveness?