Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
SeekingHeaven

How to stop entering states of ghafla (heedlessness)

Rate this topic

Salam, I often find myself just daydreaming subconsciously and try to stop it as soon as I notice and this is something that has become so draining on my mind and thinking and rationalization skills. 

I’ve also noticed that before I might vomit a sin I’m usually in such a state.

Please share some ways that we can all use to prevent entering such states and any Hadiths that we might have from the Ahlul Bayt 

Also if you have a similar issue I’d be interested in hearing about it 

I know it’s not possible to stop it completely for ever but what are the steps we can take to get the ball rolling.

Also when do you generally enter this state? Other than when you’re just bored and have nothing to do

31 minutes ago, SeekingHeaven said:

Salam, I often find myself just daydreaming subconsciously and try to stop it as soon as I notice and this is something that has become so draining on my mind

Salam. This daydreaming is probably more of a nuisance when you are young. If I was reading a book for high school, college or university, my mind would drift off somewhere else and not concentrate on my textbook. If you can stand up or walk a few steps, this puts you back to the subject you want to think about. Sitting makes you so comfortable that daydreaming can be a diversion from the work that needs to be done. Sitting on the bed can make it even easier to actually fall asleep and the work definitely will not get done. 

Salam @SeekingHeaven,

I have these periods of Ghafla (heedlessness) as well, and I have also noticed that my faith level decreases during these periods. For example, I miss the morning prayer more often, etc.

A suggestion would be to ask yourself: "What am I daydreaming about?". If it's something silly like video games, movies, fashion, news/politics, or something along those lines, then allocate less time of your day to those activities and you will naturally spend less time thinking about them after some time.

The Commander of the Faithful (عليه السلام) said: "You are on test in this world and have to render account about it." (Nahjul Balagha, sermon 83 al-Gharra’)

So think about these activities as waste of your precious time, which you will never get back.

And in contrast to them, prioritize activities that truly matter, such as faith, work, and family related activities. These should be the main activities you spend your time with, and daydreaming/thinking about them won't cause Ghafla (heedlessness), on the contrary, it will make you more efficient.

Wassalam.

14 hours ago, SeekingHeaven said:

Salam, I often find myself just daydreaming subconsciously and try to stop it as soon as I notice and this is something that has become so draining on my mind and thinking and rationalization skills. 

I’ve also noticed that before I might vomit a sin I’m usually in such a state.

Please share some ways that we can all use to prevent entering such states and any Hadiths that we might have from the Ahlul Bayt 

Also if you have a similar issue I’d be interested in hearing about it 

I know it’s not possible to stop it completely for ever but what are the steps we can take to get the ball rolling.

Also when do you generally enter this state? Other than when you’re just bored and have nothing to do

Step #1.  To come to terms with the fact that you can’t do anything about it.  We have to “accept” our miserable state of affairs and be thankful to God for it (that He is bestowing us with existence despite our unworthiness and despite our heedless).  

Step #2.  Every time you happen to “catch yourself” being heedless, simply observe yourself like you would observe anyone else.  Just be amused by it and laugh at it a little. This is dialogue that should be going on with yourself:   (hey, look at this nafs acting like this again... haha... you funny thing you are! Heh... here you go again!!! Alhamdulillah for the creation of this nafs, God creates so many marvelous and wonderful things mashallah!!!)

Step #3: keep doing this.  And what usually happens (although this is not the goal) is that this habit will diminish gradually.  Inshallah.  This is all by the grace of God! 

Edited by eThErEaL