Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
thuglife

Does anyone here live with cats

Rate this topic

Salaam

I am wondering if I should get one. However, I feel like the hair will get everywhere. I do not want a farm vibe inside the house.

Also, I don't know if it's ethical to have one. It means many other animals would die because the cat is a carnivore. All the cans of tuna and chicken.

I've always lived around cats and would consider myself a "cat person".

There will be some shedding, and many cats also vomit hair balls, which you will have to clean up. If your cat is exclusively indoors, which is better for wildlife and the health of the cat, you will need a litter box, which you will need to scoop daily and completely change and clean about weekly, depending on your sensitivity and the cat's digestion. Indoor cats have few veterinary bills, but you'll need to take time each day to play with it so it gets exercise. You don't need expensive toys - a piece of string, a feather, or a box will do. Cats sometimes scratch the furniture. You can't punish cats; don't even try, it won't improve their behavior. 

You can reduce shedding by frequent brushing. A weekly bath works wonders too, but you'll need to start the baths while the cat is still a kitten or you and the cat will both be traumatized by them. Reducing shedding also reduces hairballs.

I really appreciate my ScoopFree automatic litter box. I only have to remove solids weekly and change the litter every two weeks, and there is no smell because it desiccates the waste and contains it in a covered compartment. 

Playing with pets is a great stress reducer and very entertaining, and unlike dogs, if a cat likes you, you know it really likes you, it isn't just being nice to the alpha. 

Edited by notme
Typo

Im the biggest cat lover ever. I lived with cats and a Husky for 5 months. 

Harashio was a good cat besides that one morning where all of a sudden he seemed to want to jump at me -_-. Other than that, they're quite good to clean up after, not much of a hassle, and big bonus, they're very therapeutic!

2 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

Im the biggest cat lover ever. I lived with cats and a Husky for 5 months. 

Harashio was a good cat besides that one morning where all of a sudden he seemed to want to jump at me -_-. Other than that, they're quite good to clean up after, not much of a hassle, and big bonus, they're very therapeutic!

Dog hair invalidates prayer.

14 minutes ago, thuglife said:

So does cat hair brother.... 

Ayatollah Sistaani:

Question: What is your ruling about cat hair on a person's dress during salat?

Answer: If there is one cat hair or there are two or three hairs on a person's body or clothes, his prayer is in order but if there are more than that, his prayer becomes void, as an obligatory precaution. However, if one becomes aware after prayer, his previous prayer(s) are valid.

But on the other hand:

Imam Sadiq (as.) said

"If you buy a domestic animal you will benefit from it and its sustenance is with Allah."

Sawab al-A`amal, Page 244

Imam Sadiq (as.) said

Verily a woman was chastised for the fact that she tied up a cat and left it till it died of thirst.

Makarim al- Akhlaq, v. 1, p. 280, no. 864; Mizan ul Hikmah, page No. 109

Edited by Ali~J

There are a lot of youtube videos of cats being saved by Asians in Asian countries. I’m a bit surprised  bc I thought they eat cats and dogs. One youtube Chanel is called Kritter Klub. I think in Korea or Japan. 

11 minutes ago, thuglife said:

Husky is pure.

Its from the breed of wolves.

We always kept Simba in the backyard, anyway. He never came in to the house. And when we were with him outside, we barely had any hairs on us. They don’t shed much unless they want to mate.

Edited by Ruqaya101

1 minute ago, thuglife said:

Same species. Dog is wolf. 

Although, impurity dominates, in some cases it does not. Not that I know of anyway.

You can simply maintain hygiene. 

With the cats, you'd have to clean up after them a lot, as they shed hair wherever they lean against. But they're easy to take care of them and like I mentioned, therapeutic.

14 hours ago, notme said:

If your cat is exclusively indoors, which is better for wildlife and the health of the cat

Valid point about the wildlife although my cats have only killed rats and mice, they haven't really managed to get small birds I don't think...

But disadvantages of an indoor cat are that you'll have to play with it a lot, they need to have the hunting instinct stumulated to keep them mentally healthy. Another disadvantage is that you can't have any windows open and you have to be careful going in and out so they don't escape, otherwise it's quite worrying. Also there is a higher amount of tiny hairs, and hairballs will be seen (but with an outdoor cat hairballs are seldom seen since it's probably done outside).

But there are several disadvantages of an outdoor cat too, they do have a slightly lower life expectancy, insurance is a must (my cat got hit by a car recently the bill was like £5K or something). If they are a smaller cat they can get bullied by other cats in the neighbourhood, an outdoor cat will dig up areas in your garden from time to time for its business, a cat flap may be necessary if you don't plan on keeping it in at night time... 

Salam, 

Cat hair can invalidate prayer but not for sure depending on who you follow. 

Dog hair on the other hand is very different as it's عين النجاسة Ain Al Najasa 

Huskies look like wolves but they are 100 percent dog.

The only loophole regarding Najasa is a wolf hybrid- which is the offspring of wolf and dog.

Wolf hybrids are categorised by percentage, the closer to the parent wolf, the higher the percentage. So a direct wolf hybrid would be Tahir. It's often assumed that they can be more dangerous and less domesticated the higher the percentage because of the direct link with the wolf. 

New studies that suggest dogs and wolves share near complete DNA structure are interesting when dissecting the jurisprudential ahkaam about dogs' Najasa.

Eitherway, having a pet, no matter what. is lovely and I think very important. 

26 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

The only loophole regarding Najasa is a wolf hybrid- which is the offspring of wolf and dog.

But that would also be questionable since they cost thousands.... 

10 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

But that would also be questionable since they cost thousands.... 

The price of a wolf hybrid is subjective just like choosing between a small flat or a big house with a pool etc  

My point was specifically regarding Najasa.

Even if one wants to get a wolf hybrid, there are many restrictions if not outright bans on owning one is many countries due to the alleged 'danger'

Edited by Moalfas

If I may also add, we as a Muslim community are really lacking on the 'animal friendly' front which is very sad. 

I've come across many Muslims who cross the road if they see a dog being walked. Or Muslims freaking out in public for the same reason. And this is not because of Najasa, rather I think it can be a consequence of it. It's the lack of exposure to pets that makes them think they're scary or dangerous.

I know many adults who wouldn't go near a cat lol 

But as an avid animal lover, it upsets me because I know how much we can benefit from keeping pets.

We also have an elderly short haired dog, and it sheds way more than both cats combined. We don't allow any animals into the areas where we pray, and we use rugs which can be picked up and washed, not carpet which is hard to keep clean.

The dog is officially a "guard dog" but he sometimes sleeps through people coming up to our house. But he's nice and he's old and he's mostly good, so we certainly have no plans to put him out. The dog sleeps most of the day and night.

The cats chase away bugs, spiders, lizards, and potentially mice or rats that get into the house, but we've never had a mouse or a rat since we've had these two cats. One of the cats is also a favorite playmate of my daughter, whose brothers tend to ignore her. 

19 minutes ago, notme said:

We also have an elderly short haired dog,

The dog is officially a "guard dog" but he sometimes sleeps through people coming up to our house. 

Your description of short haired for a dog I thought was funny. But I guess it's because you're a cat person! What breed or is he a mut?

25 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Your description of short haired for a dog I thought was funny. But I guess it's because you're a cat person! What breed or is he a mut?

He resembles a pit bull, but my husband got him from an animal shelter so whatever his ancestry, he is officially a mutt.

My one sister gave me a Manx the sameday that someone gave her the cat. (because it kept attacking another woman's son).

It was Winter and the cat was ~3 months old. So l kept it in the house for the duration of the cold weather.

lt was a good Tom, but in their first year of life, a Manx is highly energetic.

lt would run up the curtains. Jump up (like a serval) and sit on top of a door -then when l'd walk by, jump onto my head. lt would also hide then attack.

lt was also 'smart'. When my alarm went off, it ran up and down me until l got up. When it was salah, it would go sit by my little masjid l had in the house. When there was a 'noise' it ran to it like a dog. 

But it thought raka was 'play time'. Jump on my back and such. The 2nd hardest prayer l ever did -so far- was when it decided to hang on my face. (Cats are taahir).

When Spring came and l'd go outside it followed me around and when l would be working on something it would sit beside me.

By the time it was a year old, it was like a well behaved dog. lt would even come running when l called it.

People thought l had a bobcat. The last time l weighed it, it was over 10 pounds. It was about 14 months old then.

lt was a very good cat.

EDIT: l forgot to note, it 'owned' my house. l could not keep it outside because it would find a way in.

Edited by hasanhh

Not only does a person have to worry about the hair of a cat, but also the presence of its wet saliva on one's body can invalidate prayer. That also goes for any other animal whose meat is haram to eat. This is in accordance with Sistani.

833. If the saliva, or water from the nose, or any other moisture, from an animal whose meat is haraam to eat, like that of a cat, is on the body or the dress of a person in namaz, and if it is wet, the namaz will be void. But if it has dried up, and if its substance has been removed, then the prayer is valid.

Edited by Sumerian

19 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

Husky is pure.

They might look like wolves but they're 100 percent dog I'm afraid. I know, I too was disappointed when I figured it out.

We always kept Simba in the backyard, anyway. He never came in to the house. And when we were with him outside, we barely had any hairs on us. They don’t shed much unless they want to mate.

Huskies shed heavily twice a year because of their thick double coat. 

Perhaps you didn't notice it, if he spent his time outside.

21 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

Husky is pure.

Its from the breed of wolves.

Hey Ruqaya I don't think this is true. Yes, Husky's might be part this and part that, but by common-view ('urf) they're considered dogs and so they'd be najis. I personally have always seen them as dogs and I'm pretty like everyone else around me does too. If I'm wrong then someone can correct me (@Sumerian).

Edited by AStruggler

2 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Not only does a person have to worry about the hair of a cat, but also the presence of its wet saliva on one's body can invalidate prayer. That also goes for any other animal whose meat is haram to eat. This is in accordance with Sistani.

Lol that's why it's probably best to just not keep cats at home. Not worth the risk in my opinion. 

Sellamsi

7 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Hey Ruqaya I don't think this is true. Yes, Husky's might be part this and part that, but by common-view ('urf) they're considered dogs and so they'd be najis. I personally have always seen them as dogs and I'm pretty like everyone else around me does too. If I'm wrong then someone can correct me (@Sumerian).

Edited 17 mi

Simba was kept outside at all times, and in those five months, we never had to clean up outside. We still maintained mandatory hygiene whenever we did play with him, however, the people I was living with at the time, the person they follow had told them that huskies are pure, but hygiene must still be maintained. 

13 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

All dogs descended from.a common ancestor of today's wolves regardless of breed. Does not make them "wolves".

Huskies are a breed of domestic dogs and are not pure.

So disappointed... that.... that...

you didn't put a meme!

Also, answers up there^^^^ 

7 hours ago, thuglife said:

I want to get a cat and kept it in a “multi level cat cage” to avoid cat hair getting everywhere. I can take it out for a walk a few times a week. 

A cat in a cage is an expression. One of anxiety. 

I have a cat, it's an outdoor cat. It's hair is still everywhere. I have an indoor dog, Shih tsu bichon. It doesn't shed but you have to clip it every three months. $60. for a groomer around here. 

6 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

A cat in a cage is an expression. One of anxiety. 

I have a cat, it's an outdoor cat. It's hair is still everywhere. I have an indoor dog, Shih tsu bichon. It doesn't shed but you have to clip it every three months. $60. for a groomer around here. 

Those “cages” is what those animal lovers keep it in in those shelters. It’s good enough for those folks to not consider it cruelty. 

And the levels may make it feel like a cat loft. Like a multi room apartment. 

Besides, that link I posted earlier where the hairless cat was going crazy and the owners had to wear helmets and thick suits for protection, the cat got better when they gave it its own multilevel cage. It made the psycho cat get better, so it should do wonders for normal cats.