Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
thuglife

Approached by Amway Cult Member!

Rate this topic

So, someone I met was being very friendly to me.

This does not happen to me in public, so right away I feel like something is off.

They eventually say that they can offer me a mentor opportunity in my field. They wanted to meet me somewhere, and we did. They told me about retiring young and being very wealthy, even enough to pass on to their children. He gave me a book about "business in the 21st century" by Robert Kiyosaki and wants to meet in a few days. This is the author of the catch titled "rich dad poor dad."

I go on Reddit to learn about this author. Many ppl say he gets rich by selling his "how to get rich" books and seminar packages. Others say charlatan. They saaay some of the stuff in his books make sense, but he got rich from selling "hey buy my book about getting rich," not actually being amazing in business beforehand.

Like, spend money on things that can bring money back. Buying a new car? that won't bring money back unless you use it for some business venture, let's say Uber. Instead, spend that money on something of need in your area that can bring money in to you. Like, turning a property into rental spaces for dentists and what not. Now that brings in money instead of the owner simply living in a large plot of land. Ok, but I explained that to you in a few sentences. Other than a couple random points like that, the books are mostly useless. Go find a pdf of one and see how much of it is useful. At least, this is what people online say about him.

He tried to hold 3 classes in his seminar. The third class cost 45k. Yes, to listen to a third installment of his great advice, one must fork over $45k. At least, that's what this website is saying https://thecollegeinvestor.com/4726/ultimate-hypocrite-robert-kiyosaki-companys-bankruptcy/

A strategy to get out of paying. Do a corporate bankruptcy.

I'll leave it to you to google his name and read article after article.

And the person who approached me. I googled some key words, and it appears a story like this happened to me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/552d53/am_i_being_scammed/

So "Amway" is the company. I went on its wiki page. It says the founder is "deVos" what a name. The current education secretary is a devos. Doing everything to cut funding for education, all sorts of nonsense.

The wiki also says there were riots in China bc of the pyramid scheme type of business they were running. China banned Amway for a decade. Even in India the government raided and shut them down. Feel free to read the wiki for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway

Crazy times we live in. People on reddit say that when ppl get pulled into this cult, they cut off friends and family.

What's amazing is that there are so many ppl that are gullible enough to be pulled into it. The very fact the scammers even try is bc they know there is a market for this sorta thing.

I love when people give you advice on how to become rich and financially independent, when they themselves are not financially independent or even close to that.

I have read some of rich dad poor dad, the books are not bad, you can find some free pdf online. But reading a book is not going to make you rich, it might give you ideas, or make you motivated etc.

This reminds me of those MLM or pyramid schemes. There is a good documentary about that called "betting on zero".

Rich DeVos and Jay Van Andel, founders of Amway.

Started with an all purpose liquid soap mixed in their bath tub. They started selling it and did well. They designed a motivational structure to encourage sales. A legal pyramid structure.
Those willing to do the leg work, 24/7, could possibly raise a healthy living, most became consumers but went to the meetings for the encouragement. The plan was straightforward and simplistic. Show the plan, point out the perks, one in seven will join. By join they meant buy the sales package. It contained the seven basic products, and all the literature on how to build a business from it. The seven basic products were high quality and would keep you clean and save you money.   The system was built on naive integrity.

Insider stats, one in seven will join, one in ten will reach the second level, one in ten will reach a respectable level, many many more meetings before reaching a top level. Of course many will fall off the bandwagon, or get pushed. Greed does many things. Top level distributors went from showing successful distributors to successful businessmen attributing their success to Amway with "vaycay" pics from perks of irrelevant business trips, Sketchy accountants capitalize., It became a cesspool of corruption. That was 40 years ago. Not at all what the founders had in mind. 

Sounds like it's even worse now. Rich and Jay would be rolling in their graves.

I don't know man. They appear to have been in on it. It doesn't look like they had any effort to stop such a scheme. Other companies that sell soaps did not go about it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

On 10/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, thuglife said:

I don't know man. They appear to have been in on it. It doesn't look like they had any effort to stop such a scheme. Other companies that sell soaps did not go about it like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

I have to go back to the late 70's. There were lots of pyramid schemes on the go and Amway was always under scrutiny. Their multi level system was only similar in shape. Most schemes left you hanging with $10G worth of soap. Amway was mentors. I saw corruption in the ranks and in the pitches, but not in the program. Not that I'd bother with it. It doesn't sound like the kids followed their father's code.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:11 AM, realizm said:

:salam:

I have to remember the last time you opened a topic which was not about cash/scams/expenses.

You screen name suits you so well :grin:

somehow his avatar also complements it