Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruqaya101

[Closed/Review]Assumptions and misconceptions

Rate this topic

What are the biggest misconceptions and assumptions about Shia Islam?

Or about Shia Muslims? Have you experienced this or has anyone directly asked you about it?

If so, how did you answer them?

And from a subjective aspect, has anyone in general assumed something about you from the get-go? If so, as a Shia Muslim or a person in general, how do you deal with it?

How did the Ahlul Bayt deal with similar or worse situations? Why do many people excuse themselves with “they’re Prophets and Imams, I’m not a Prophet or Imam”? Is this just a defensive mechanism?

What would you describe yourself as in terms of when someone criticises you, assumes something about you, how do you deal with it? 

What’s your opinion on defensive and sarcastic retaliation? 

I posted this in another thread but I've just added some more and changed some... 

Some common questions I've been asked as a Shia (which is kind of relevant to this topic).

"Why do you think that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is above Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)? 

"Why do you hit yourself?" 

"Why do you always cry?"

"Why do you cut yourself?"

"Why do you cut babies?"

"Why do you hate Abu Bakr?" 

"Why do you curse Aisha?"

"Why do you worship Imam Ali (عليه السلام)?" 

"Why do you commit shirk by visiting shrines [of the Imams]?

"Why do you allow zina? (referring to Mut'ah)"

"Why don't you pray properly?"

"Why do you pray at the wrong time?"

"Why do you pray 3 times a day and not 5 times a day?"

I'll post more if I can remember any... 

Edited by Ali~J

Guest Pschological Warfare
5 hours ago, Ali~J said:

"Why do you think that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is above Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)? 

"Why do you worship Imam Ali (عليه السلام)?" 

"Why do you commit shirk by visiting shrines [of the Imams]?

Simple answer, Propaganda of the illegitimate ones. 

And ask a follow up question, unless you consider them your Master and they the "Real Muslims" have the right to question you as a slave. And you feel the need to justify your existence to the Masters or for them to value you. 

Ask them did Allah(عزّ وجلّ) appoint and Muhammad al-Mustafa ( peace be upon him and his pure progeny) announce the Successor ? if not most of what they follow is Shirk/Bidah. 

4 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

WHAT??????

if you do search about Tatbir you will find images about it that for all of these years limited to certain pictures that they always refer to these limited pictures 

MOD NOTE: Two graphic images of men holding knives and babies were removed because the photos are at the link this member provided:

https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/378305/تشیع-انگلیسی-از-تکفیر-اهل-سنت-تا-انحراف-در-اعتقادات-شیعیان

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note

2 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

What are the biggest misconceptions and assumptions about Shia Islam?

- Jibreel (عليه السلام) made a mistake by revealing the Holy Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (sawas) instead of Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

- That we worship Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

- That we worship the Imams (عليه السلام)

- We pray to rocks

- That we somehow hate Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and sayeda Fatima (عليه السلام) (which doesn't make sense cuz one minute they're like we worship them next minute we hate them)

- That we killed Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

- That we killed Imam Hussein (عليه السلام)

- During Ashura, we turn off the lights in the majlis and commit adultery 

- That Imam Ali (as)'s arms were disabled hence we pray like him (astaghfirullah)

- That we follow a Jewish man, named Abdullah ibn Saba

- That we commit shirk

- That we have a different Qur'an

- That we like to draw pictures of Imams

And many more

And how did I answer these? pffffffft, I was only a kid back then when I'd get asked such questions. It was really annoying because I didn't have that much knowledge to defend myself, so I'd either stay quiet or be like change the subject. When I began to gain knowledge, that's when I started becoming more open, so that whenever my friends asked me questions I was able to answer them with detail.

And from a subjective aspect, has anyone in general assumed something about you from the get-go? If so, as a Shia Muslim or a person in general, how do you deal with it?

THIS. THIS IS WHAT PISSES ME OFF TO THE MAX. But what we need to understand is that people nowadays have the tendency to judge and we should be expecting it either way, so there's nothing we can do about it. However, I find it disappointing that somebody who you consider a good trustworthy friend and have so much respect for suddenly makes up these assumptions about you out of nowhere and chooses to no longer talk to you anymore. I mean what can we do, everyone here is temporary, but sometimes it just gets to you because when you've known someone very well and exposed all your secrets to them, they suddenly want to lose the connection with you based on their own made up assumptions. 

How did the Ahlul Bayt deal with similar or worse situations? Why do many people excuse themselves with “they’re Prophets and Imams, I’m not a Prophet or Imam”? Is this just a defensive mechanism?

I believe that the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) weren't silent on such issues and were open with debates; for example I remember watching this show on the life of Imam Baqir (عليه السلام) and Ja'far al Sadiq (عليه السلام), and they had a debate with the ruler (forgot his name) when he asked them why do they rank themselves towards the level of the Prophets? Another was when they both entered the church and were answering the questions of priests.

Also, if you recall the even of Mubahala, Rasullulah (sawas) was trying to convince the priests of Najran to accept Islam and the Prophet's message, but they refused to believe that he was the Messenger of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), which led to the cursing of the two parties.

Why do many people excuse themselves with “they’re Prophets and Imams, I’m not a Prophet or Imam”? Is this just a defensive mechanism?

When people say this, I don't think its just a defense mechanism. Because its true, none of us can ever reach their status however we can learn to better ourselves as Muslims by looking into their morals and ethics, how they used to treat others. 

What would you describe yourself as in terms of when someone criticises you, assumes something about you, how do you deal with it?

I would confront them. I'm the type of person where if someone chooses to ruin my reputation and humiliate my dignity I'd definitely backlash at them. 

What’s your opinion on defensive and sarcastic retaliation? 

I don't know about this one. Depends on how bad it is I guess.

Edited by 3wliya_maryam

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

if you do search about Tatbir you will find images about it that for all of these years limited to certain pictures that they always refer to these limited pictures that also spreads by British shi'ism 

[MOD NOTE: Two graphic images of men holding knives and babies were removed because the photos are at the link this member provided:]
https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/378305/تشیع-انگلیسی-از-تکفیر-اهل-سنت-تا-انحراف-در-اعتقادات-شیعیان

I’ve seen this before but... oh my God... ya rabbi dakheelak...

What’s this got to do with British Shia??

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note in the quote.

1 hour ago, Ruqaya101 said:

What’s this got to do with British Shia

British shi'ism not British Shia anayway source of most of pictures are from British media like as Sun & independent that British Shi'ism provides their feed.

1 minute ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

British shi'ism not British Shia anayway source of most of pictures are from British media like as Sun & independent that British Shi'ism provides their feed.

And what is this "british shiism"?

On 10/14/2019 at 4:32 AM, Ruqaya101 said:

And what is this "british shiism"?

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235056538-british-shiism-exposed/

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

if you do search about Tatbir you will find images about it that for all of these years limited to certain pictures that they always refer to these limited pictures that also spreads by British shi'ism 

[MOD NOTE: Two graphic images of men holding knives and babies were removed because the photos are at the link this member provided:]

This is what happens when you give ignorant people the internet. 

Both those photos are clearly not even in any country in the west. The second one in particular, note how they are doing tatbir in the street with Islamic decor all over...that's not what happens in the west. Secondly, doing tatbir in public is an offence, Einstein. You have a brain for a reason, use it. 

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note in the quote.

1 minute ago, 2Timeless said:

This is what happens when you give ignorant people the internet. 

Both those photos are clearly not even in any country in the west. The second one in particular, note how they are doing tatbir in the street with Islamic decor all over...that's not what happens in the west. Secondly, doing tatbir in public is an offence, Einstein. You have a brain for a reason, use it. 

you can find these pictures & movies on Internet , I just bring pictures that can be shown here but if you interested more about it you can see bloody images & videos on internet that some of them taken in European countries like as Britain or Greece & etc.

[Note from Mod: This topic has been temporarily closed for review by a moderator pending one of the following actions:

1) Cleanup: Topic will be reviewed, inappropriate posts will be deleted followed by warnings/bans being implemented and then reopened.

2) Topic will be permanently deleted or sent to the lounge.

3) Topic will remain permanently closed.

Please allow up to 48 hours for one of the above actions to take place. Contact the appropriate moderator for any further explanations

The ShiaChat.com rules can be found at: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/12120-faq-shiachatcom-rules-and-policy/ [Auto]