Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ruqaya101

What is the root cause of ignorance?

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

What is the root cause of ignorance besides lack of knowledge?

What does Islam say about ignorance?

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) says "I have never argued with an ignorant fool and won, and I have never argued with a rational person and lost." You cannot win with an ignorant person because they lack knowledge but also are deeply intwined with denial.

In my opinion, a contributing factor is irrationality. 

@Moalfas @notme @Ali883

Nice to know that you did not tag me aswell

anyway

I would say that , besides lack of knowledge, we are just not open to reality. Even if we lack knowledge, some people who see the truth before them will still deny it due to their high levels of pride

also, there are some people who just looooovee to make assumptions about others out of nowhere which I believe also signifies ignorance in a way. 

5 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

Nice to know that you did not tag me aswell

I swear I was about to, but honestly, I was like "This is Maryam were talking about, that girl will answer to anything I do or say regardless of me tagging her"  :hahaha:

6 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

we are just not open to reality.

Agreed.

I did forget to mention the group of people who are also too afraid to think for themselves'. These people tend to be women in Arab societies (based off what I've seen) who are more compliant to the social norms of the society they are in and unfortunately, religion has become seen more of a cultural thing. 

Edited by Ali883
Clarification

Based off my understanding of the Qur'an, it has to do with being genuine to yourself because if you want to be guided to God, God will guide you otherwise there will always be a barrier between you and Him. Much of it has to do with arrogance and if I recall correctly, Imam Ali ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) had a quote mentioning the sins dooming mankind, one of which were being blissful with ignorance.

3 minutes ago, Ali883 said:

Based off my understanding of the Qur'an, it has to do with being genuine to yourself because if you want to be guided to God, God will guide you otherwise there will always be a barrier between you and Him. Much of it has to do with arrogance and if I recall correctly, Imam Ali ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) had a quote mentioning the sins dooming mankind, one of which were being blissful with ignorance.

Hmm, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guides whom he wants and guides the ones who ask for guidance, hand in hand that would come with gaining knowledge so makes sense. But why arrogance?

People always have an agenda when it comes to researching religion and philosophy so their conclusions are bias, swaying towards the way they want it to sway, to prove that they are right and everyone else is wrong. And of course, those who don't care, don't care simply because they think that they don't need religion or God in their lives' and that in itself is arrogance. 

Edited by Ali883

19 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

What is the root cause of ignorance besides lack of knowledge?

That's a very interesting question.

There are many narrations that describe the characteristics of the ignorant جاهل and it's surely much more than simply lack of knowledge. It's apparent that they share several traits and if we look at those traits, we can figure out the possible root causes: 

They tend to think they know it all (when the opposite is often true) and are unwilling to accept anything that goes against what they think to be true. 

They tend to go overboard and extreme with what they think is true and could care less about any other fact even though it is fact. 

They tend to accept information and believe it to be true if it comes from 'known people' or is inline with their own biases without researching and dissecting truth from falsehood. 

They're also quick to disparage and attack anyone they disagree with.

That's generally what I've understood from the narrations I've come across.

From my less than perfect understanding, I would say the root cause of ignorance can be tribalism as well as self interest. Arrogance and pride do also play a part as has been noted. 

I wanted to also say in addition to ignorance:

I don't only blame terrorist groups for portraying a terrible image of Prophet Muhammad's teachings, but our own community has also failed us. We are surrounded by blindness and ignorance yet its hard for us to realise that until we ourselves choose to divert in the path of seeking the true knowledge. However, alot of prideful humans will cease to believe the truth even if it was witnessed before them. Their arrogance is more worthy than divine knowledge.

11 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

They tend to think they know it all (when the opposite is often true) and are unwilling to accept anything that goes against what they think to be true. 

They tend to go overboard and extreme with what they think is true and could care less about any other fact even though it is fact. 

They tend to accept information and believe it to be true if it comes from 'known people' or is inline with their own biases without researching and dissecting truth from falsehood. 

They're also quick to disparage and attack anyone they disagree with.

Hmm, interesting traits. Also, I tend to observe this easily in a lot of people. If we were to observe these traits, we still wouldn't have a right to judge anyone based on it, Im assuming?

5 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

Hmm, interesting traits. Also, I tend to observe this easily in a lot of people. If we were to observe these traits, we still wouldn't have a right to judge anyone based on it, Im assuming?

Judge them in what regard? 

Just now, Ali883 said:

Judge them in what regard? 

On their ignorance. What I mean is, if I observed those traits in someone and I said "this is an ignorant statement that you've made" and they said I judged them on this... What would be the case?

In their eyes, I will be the ignorant one. Its a 2 way generalisation.

This is a hypothetical example, by the way.

7 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

I don't think we have the right to judge anyone to be honest as we ourselves have enough flaws and it is narrated by Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) -I'm paraphrasing-

'Blessed is the one who's more concerned with his own flaws rather than other people's flaws'

I for one can display the traits of ignorance when I'm faced with certain subjects or situations. We can all become ignorant when faced with things we're not prepared to back down on.

Sometimes you can't judge someone's beliefs based on their traits and behavior because they don't reflect them. I mean Islam is the best example. Islam is the best religion with the worst followers in my opinion but if you are going to judge someone's beliefs, you put that someone on the side and judge his beliefs for what they are. But if a person exhibits these traits, better keep your judgement to yourself because whatever you tell them won't help them since they don't even represent those Islamic beliefs but rather go against them based on their behavior. 

Just now, Moalfas said:

I don't think we have the right to judge anyone to be honest as we ourselves have enough flaws and it is narrated by Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) -I'm paraphrasing-

'Blessed is the one who's more concerned with his own flaws rather than other people's flaws'

I for one can display the traits of ignorance when I'm faced with certain subjects or situations. We can all become ignorant when faced with things we're not prepared to back down on.

Yes, I agree with all that you've said. But I don't mean judgement in that way. I mean, judge in a way that we make a statement about it, for example "you seem to be ignorant from this statement about (or example) human biology,". 

You know that they're just saying any statements to fill in but its false. Is that a judgement you can make?

5 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

I mean, judge in a way that we make a statement about it, for example "you seem to be ignorant from this statement about (or example) human biology,". 

You know that they're just saying any statements to fill in but its false. Is that a judgement you can make?

One can point out an ignorant stance or statement but should be prepared for the response in the form of a deflective personal attack for instance.

To minimise the chance of a knee jerk reaction, you could point out the flaws of the -ignorant- statement. That way you prove the ignorance of the statement without causing direct offence.

Just now, Moalfas said:

One can point out an ignorant stance or statement but should be prepared for the response in the form of a deflective personal attack for instance.

To minimise the chance of a knee jerk reaction, you could point out the flaws of the -ignorant- statement. That way you prove the ignorance of the statement without causing direct offence.

Awesome. I do believe that open and respectful debates should occur more often to minimise ignorance. With maintaining respect and an open mind, and clear communication skills we could all help one another.

There is ignorance which is circumstantial. For example I'm not fluent in Arabic because I have never been around people who used it and it is difficult to learn, so I've not devoted a significant portion of my time to learning it.

And then there is Ignorance, which is a choice. Quite often, the Ignorance which is by choice does not come from circumstantial ignorance, but our of misplaced pride and arrogance. That is, the feeling that "people like me" don't need to know/believe this.

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

If I were to give one cause for ignorance that would be arrogance(pride)

Arrogance tells people they already know everything and there is no need for improvement.

Arrogance prevents people from admitting their mistakes.

Arrogance and haughtiness turned iblis into Shaitan.

Arrogance in a knowledgeable person makes him worse than an illiterate 

[Edit] sorry @Ruqaya101 saw your post above after posting mine and you had already mentioned arrogance and pride. Thanks.

Its ok! Thanks for your insight and input, I agree.

In addition to the relevant factors that others may mention, I think the following are also pertinent:

1, A lack of incentive. People will remain ignorant if they see no need (or have no desire) to gain knowledge.

2, Distractions. Why gain knowledge when I can do other more "engaging"/addictive things (movies, games, shopping etc)

3, A lack of affordance. When the knowledge/wisdom requires effort to obtain. This is why the people of knowledge spoon-feed the ignorant. 

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Salam,

Ego/pride. When you argue with someone who believes they are right, they no longer use logic. They will come at you from any dimension or angle. 

So when you try to use reason and logic, they will attack your logic and reason with ifs and buts and imaginary/falsified stories, to the point where the one using logic gets bored of going round in circles and gives up on the conversation. 

Example;

Person ABC: horses are much faster than ants

Person ZXY: if we made them the same size, the ants would be faster.

I could elaborate on this example if needed.

Edited by حسين