Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali~J

Extinction Rebellion and Climate Change

Rate this topic

People all around the world have different opinions on climate change, does it even exists, how should we help, what is the right way to help? Etc... 

One group of people has taken a small stand and they have taken made controversial decisions.. They are called Extinction Rebellion or XR

Here are some videos:

Now their recent protests have blocked roadways, caused congestion (some people say this is contradictory because they have caused so much idling traffic in London for example), a lot of members of the public are actually quite annoyed by the minor disruptions. 

There was one flight which was delayed for 2 hours because an XR member wouldn't sit down! He was removed. Others are chaining themselves to places or literally lying in the streets.

This (as one of the videos has stated) alienates the general public.. What do you think of the Extinction Rebellion group? 

Edited by Ali~J

Unfortunately, XR seem to be a bunch of middle class Caucasian hippies. Their protests lack diversity to say the least; and I fail to see how blocking major roads in central London and inconveniencing the general public going about their business does the climate change movement any good. 

They rely heavily on publicity stunts and they've suceeded, however, they ought to inconvenince the politicians and lawmakers, not the general public. 

Eh, I'm not a fan of disrupting people's lives, you do you, I do me, I have my beliefs but I don't want to impose them on anyone else. However, there have been times in history, where injustice is so grave, that the only way to get change is to disrupt people's routines and get them to care, or at least understand the issue you're protesting. It was common during the civil rights movement, even during the Vietnam war, I was reading an article about how this anti-war activist was thinking of blocking a roadway to the pentagon, with a few friends, it was never going to work, they would eventually get arrested, but his argument was if we get enough people to care, we'll have done our job and we might've prevented some immoral military action within that time period. It's hard to know what works and what doesn't, people have different ways of protesting. I would personally prefer writing articles, but then it's only effective for those that read.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Moalfas said:

I fail to see how blocking major roads in central London and inconveniencing the general public going about their business does the climate change movement any good. 

They rely heavily on publicity stunts and they've suceeded, however, they ought to inconvenince the politicians and lawmakers, not the general public. 

The same can be written about most any protests or movements. Like the anti-war protests for instance. They got us nowhere. How would you inconvenience the feudal lords anyway? Seize the treasury? Glocks?

34 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

The same can be written about most any protests or movements. Like the anti-war protests for instance. They got us nowhere. How would you inconvenience the feudal lords anyway? Seize the treasury? Glocks?

You can add video conferencing, helicopters, etc.