Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Hussain Haider Bilgrami

Umayyad Propaganda about Shi'as

Rate this topic

Assalamu Alaikum
I personally like to debate misguided people on discord and a common thing that they accuse the Shi'a of is that we apparently believe that Muhammad (saww) received the revelation by mistake, and it was meant to be Ali (عليه السلام) who received it. This is absolutely wrong. Here is also a quick story I found on al-Islam.org 

"While writing these words, I recollect that the Egyptian government during the fifties sent the late Dr.. Muhammad Bisar to Washington, D.C., as director of the Islamic Center there. I went to visit him and he received me kindly and informed me of the knowledge that he had acquired concerning
American Muslims. He initiated a dialogue between us, saying:

"Some of the Muslims in this country asked me about the various Islamic sects. I declared to them that all Muslim sects are good except the Shiite Ithnashari."

I immediately realized that R. Bisar did not know the meaning of Shiite Ithnashari. Otherwise, he would not have been rude enough to say that to me while I am a Shiite Ithnashari (meaning The Twelvers). Thus, we had the following dialogue:

Chirri: What is wrong with the Ithnashari?

Bisar: They believe in things opposed to Islam.

Chirri: Give us an example of their wrong belief.

Bisar: They say the revelation came to Muhammad by mistake, and that ‘Ali Ibn Abu Talib was supposed to receive the revelation.

Chirri: How did you learn that?

Bisar: I read it in the book of al-milal and al-nihal by al-Shahristani.

Chirri: Have you asked any Shiite scholar about this subject?

Bisar: No, I have not.

Chirri: Then you have convicted millions of Muslims and considered them "kafir”without asking any of them about this serious accusation. Did the Almighty command you to do that? And did Egypt send you to propagate such (an unjust) message?

A year after our meeting in Washington, I met Dr.. Bisar in Philadelphia at an Islamic conference. He informed me that he re-examined the book of al- milal and al-nihal by al-Shihristani and found that what was attributed to Shiites, that the revelation came to Muhammad by mistake, was not the
belief of the Ithnashari Shiite school of thought. It was rather, a sect which existed and disappeared hundreds of years ago. Hearing that from him, I accepted his apology. Yet, I was amazed that it took him a whole year to re-read the book and discover the truth."

There have been many baseless and malicious accusations against the Shia throughout the generations amongst Sunni communities that can date all the way back to Bani Ummayah where they were cursing Imam Ali (عليه السلام) on the Manabir and had the people believe that he didn't pray. 

Some of the newer accusations against the Shia include what you have mentioned but the funniest I've ever come across is that the Shia apparently have tails!! 

Lots of these crazy accusations were easy to believe for the communities that had no interaction with the Shia. I think now that the world it at one's fingertips, they're not so easily believed. 

3 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Shia apparently have tails!! 

What???

How did they find out? :shock:This was such a closely guarded secret.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:02 PM, Hussain Haider Bilgrami said:

Assalamu Alaikum
I personally like to debate misguided people on discord and a common thing that they accuse the Shi'a of is that we apparently believe that Muhammad (saww) received the revelation by mistake, and it was meant to be Ali (عليه السلام) who received it. This is absolutely wrong. Here is also a quick story I found on al-Islam.org 

"While writing these words, I recollect that the Egyptian government during the fifties sent the late Dr... Muhammad Bisar to Washington, D.C., as director of the Islamic Center there. I went to visit him and he received me kindly and informed me of the knowledge that he had acquired concerning
American Muslims. He initiated a dialogue between us, saying:

"Some of the Muslims in this country asked me about the various Islamic sects. I declared to them that all Muslim sects are good except the Shiite Ithnashari."

I immediately realized that R. Bisar did not know the meaning of Shiite Ithnashari. Otherwise, he would not have been rude enough to say that to me while I am a Shiite Ithnashari (meaning The Twelvers). Thus, we had the following dialogue:

Chirri: What is wrong with the Ithnashari?

Bisar: They believe in things opposed to Islam.

Chirri: Give us an example of their wrong belief.

Bisar: They say the revelation came to Muhammad by mistake, and that ‘Ali Ibn Abu Talib was supposed to receive the revelation.

Chirri: How did you learn that?

Bisar: I read it in the book of al-milal and al-nihal by al-Shahristani.

Chirri: Have you asked any Shiite scholar about this subject?

Bisar: No, I have not.

Chirri: Then you have convicted millions of Muslims and considered them "kafir”without asking any of them about this serious accusation. Did the Almighty command you to do that? And did Egypt send you to propagate such (an unjust) message?

A year after our meeting in Washington, I met Dr... Bisar in Philadelphia at an Islamic conference. He informed me that he re-examined the book of al- milal and al-nihal by al-Shihristani and found that what was attributed to Shiites, that the revelation came to Muhammad by mistake, was not the
belief of the Ithnashari Shiite school of thought. It was rather, a sect which existed and disappeared hundreds of years ago. Hearing that from him, I accepted his apology. Yet, I was amazed that it took him a whole year to re-read the book and discover the truth."

That's so sad honestly. And its not surprising that it was from Egypt. This reminds me of a Egyptian friend 3 years back who used to say similar things to this. I was only a kid, and if I had enough knowledge back then I would've slammed her mouth shut. What's funny is most of them will still believe the falsehood even if you tell them the truth. They often try to find excuses for the companions, to the point where she stated that we shouldn't say anything good or bad about Yazid (la). That apparently when he saw Imam Hussein (as)'s head he began to weep. Some would probably even say that he's excused because he didn't even kill him and that he did a mistake for not giving him bay3ah. I clearly would love to know what goes through their heads, because thats like saying Hitler didn't kill a thousand Jews, it was his army that did when technically he was the one who instigated the killing.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:17 PM, starlight said:

What???

How did they find out? :shock:This was such a closely guarded secret.