Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ruqaya101

Hate of death

Rate this topic

الإمامُ الحسنُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ) ـ لَمّا قالَ لَهُ رجُلٌ: ما بالُنا نكرَهُ الموتَ ولا نُحبُّهُ؟ ـ: لاِءنّكُم أخرَبتُم آخِرَتَكُم، وعَمّرتُم دُنياكُم، وأنتُم تَكرَهونَ النُّقلَةَ مِن العُمرانِ إلَى الخَرابِ . 

Imam al-Hasan (عليه السلام), in answer to a person about the reason for hating death, said, ‘Because you have wrecked your Hereafter and built your world, and you hate to move from a constructed place to a demolished place.’ 

[Ma`Ani Al-Akhbar, P. 390, No. 29]

Does anyone hate death? I don't... Neither do I fear it. What is Imam al Hassan AS referring to here? To what type of people exactly? Ego? Wealth? Sins?

On 10/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, Ruqaya101 said:

الإمامُ الحسنُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ) ـ لَمّا قالَ لَهُ رجُلٌ: ما بالُنا نكرَهُ الموتَ ولا نُحبُّهُ؟ ـ: لاِءنّكُم أخرَبتُم آخِرَتَكُم، وعَمّرتُم دُنياكُم، وأنتُم تَكرَهونَ النُّقلَةَ مِن العُمرانِ إلَى الخَرابِ . 

Imam al-Hasan (عليه السلام), in answer to a person about the reason for hating death, said, ‘Because you have wrecked your Hereafter and built your world, and you hate to move from a constructed place to a demolished place.’ 

Does anyone hate death?

I don't know about 'hating' death, but the problem is that we just don't think about it. 

Most people in general. Even Muslims for that matter. We become cozy in this life even when it treats us harshly and when the time comes to depart to the next life, we fear it despite all our predispositions on God, the afterlife and Judgement day because it is still an unknown to us. We are literally throwing ourselves' at God's mercy knowing very well that it is too late to do anything and we must bare the sins we have committed, for eternity. There is also a biological factor no doubt. In that hadith though, it would go for the people who have exchanged this life for the next (I.e. evil people, wrongdoers, oppressors, etc...) which still remain to be most people. 

On 10/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, Ruqaya101 said:

Does anyone hate death? I don't... Neither do I fear it. What is Imam al Hassan AS referring to here? To what type of people exactly? Ego? Wealth? Sins?

I am not a Muslim so I am not going to say that my answer is correct here however that was very powerful to me.

To me what he meant was obvious- you hate death because rather than thinking in terms of the Final Judgement and working towards surviving that you have instead built your life around focusing on this life and building yourself up within it. He seems to saying that people destroy their souls by focusing on building themselves or things up in this world which will ultimately perish , that they wreck their Hereafters' by doing so, when they should rather prepare themselves to meet their Creator which would make them fearless in the face of death.

16 hours ago, Celtic Twilight said:

I am not a Muslim so I am not going to say that my answer is correct here however that was very powerful to me.

To me what he meant was obvious- you hate death because rather than thinking in terms of the Final Judgement and working towards surviving that you have instead built your life around focusing on this life and building yourself up within it. He seems to saying that people destroy their souls by focusing on building themselves or things up in this world which will ultimately perish , that they wreck their Hereafters' by doing so, when they should rather prepare themselves to meet their Creator which would make them fearless in the face of death.

I love this post, thank you so much for that insight :) .