Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruqaya101

How has Islam changed in recent years?

Rate this topic

How has Islam changed in recent years? What factors contributed to these changes? Be specific, such as what politics, what laws, technology has impacted this.

How have Muslim communities changed in recent years, discuss the differing cities/countries (west and east)? Again, what factors contributed to these changes?

Does it possess a positive outcome? Negative?

Opinions.

@Sumerian @3wliya_maryam @hasanhh @notme @Soldiers and Saffron

More haram less halal.

No offense but I find Islam has turned more towards feminism.

Less sisters open to polygyny is a proof of this.

Islam has the most respect for women. But the sisters has turned it from respect to oppression and injustice. From lack of knowledge to propaganda spread by western and eastern schools and education system. It's everywhere.

They see Islam as a religion of oppression towards women. While it has the utmost respect for them.

Btw Islam is a deen not religion.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

Guest Pschological Warfare
6 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

How has Islam changed

Islam does not change. 
Be mindful of these psychological tactics used by outsiders to plant these seeds in peoples minds. 

1 hour ago, rkazmi33 said:

Shia religion is not  a religion for autistic people. Because autistic people don't like change and it's hard for them to change their habits.

A third hadith is from the Present Imam, Muhammad al-Mahdi, peace be upon him, who said in a reply to Ishaq ibn Ya'qub: "As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our ahadith, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof."6

Islam does not change. 

Halal and Haram declared by Muhammad al-Mustafa ( peace be upon him and his pure progeny) does not change. 

I.e Islamic Law nor its principles change. 

for NEW issues ,  Rules are derived for the same basic principles. Like new words from the same language basic alphabet ( A to Z).

A third hadith is from the Present Imam, Muhammad al-Mahdi, peace be upon him, who said in a reply to Ishaq ibn Ya'qub: "As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our ahadith, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof."6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to What people or scholars of the past believe, 

We have the Qur'an

We have the Hadith.

We have History. 

If we were to just take a look at the commonly accepted hadith and history by ALL the Muslims, we can deduce a picture which has not changed for the one not hiding the Truth. 

6 hours ago, Muhammed Ali said:

If by Islam you mean what the people or the scholars believe Islam to be, then it may have changed just like it did in the past. If the beliefs and attitudes of modern people can influence the interpretation of Islam, then why can't the same have happened in the past?

The scholars of the past were not infallible; how did their culture influence our religion?

ljtihad implies innovation. A "gate closed" by assent in the 3rd Century AH.

But it is still around.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:23 AM, Ruqaya101 said:

How has Islam changed in recent years? What factors contributed to these changes? Be specific, such as what politics, what laws, technology has impacted this.

How have Muslim communities changed in recent years, discuss the differing cities/countries (west and east)? Again, what factors contributed to these changes?

Opinions.

Salam,

a lot of fitnah cults have been born in our Shi’at in recent years to weaken Shi’as and divide us.

And We give less importance to furuh e deen wajibats and more importance to some of jahil culturely traditions. 

On 10/5/2019 at 5:23 AM, Ruqaya101 said:

Opinions.

Mainly people have majorly impacted Islam. The way many people portray Islam, including some scholars who can be biased too

13 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

Scholars are using bullies to enforce religion on people. In the past, when only introverts and weak people were religious, they didn't try to enforce their version of religion on other people. 

In the past, the content of lectures was more about self improvement, now all you hear in majalis is how some people are better than others, and we need to crush our ego and accept that other people are superior to us. We need to serve other people and sacrifice for them, and if we don't accept superiority of other people, we are going to hell. Shia religion is not  a religion for autistic people. Because autistic people don't like change and it's hard for them to change their habits. But among Shias, every year it seems like their is new leader of community, and new rules which are enforced on EVERYONE. I hate so much change and I hate giving unconditional obedience to anyone. 

Now I have noticed that every scholar and center is always asking for money. They belittle people who are not successful or rich, saying that followers of Ahlul Bayt should be most successful. I have noticed that religious teachings have also become more misogynistic. Also, until few years ago, at least divorce was an option. Now, it has become a very haram thing. Women are encouraged to remain stuck in abusive marriages and they are told to just compare their sufferings with  the sufferings of Ahlul Bayt and be patient. 

I have also noticed a lot of fat shaming, scholars make fun of obese people and promote superficial teachings, emphasizing that Ahlul Bayt were all  beautiful, and if someone is ugly, it's because of his bad amaal. I see many attempts of justifying wrong actions. Every time I talk against extra marital affairs and debauchery, people start insinuating that I am an enemy of Imam Ali ((عليه السلام).). When I talk against domestic violence or bullying, people start insinuating that I am an enemy of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). I don't understand, is there a connection between Imam Ali and extramarital affairs, and domestic violence and Imam Hussain (عليه السلام).?

If some woman doesn't want to have kids, she is immediately compared to the killer of Hazrat Ali Asghar (عليه السلام).. Every young handsome guy is compared to Hazrat Ali Akbar (عليه السلام).. For some people, these tactics might serve to increase the love of Ahlulybayt, for me they decrease their love. 

Salam, 

You have raised some very shocking behaviours that you describe as being conducted by your local scholars? 

The details you have given are honestly heartbreaking.

I understand that every community and culture is bound by its accepted norms but what you are describing is on a different level. 

Some of what you describe cannot be swept under the rug and I would appreciate it if you could kindly elaborate on: 

- Using bullies to enforce religion 

-Accepting superiority of others or going to hell

-New leader with new rules every year which are enforced on everyone 

-Unconditional obedience 

-Belittling people who are not successful or rich

-Encouraged to be stuck to abusive marriages

-Scholars fat shaming 

-Someone is ugly because of bad aamal  

You also said people responded to:

-Extra martial affairs / bullying / domestic violence somehow justified by mentioning Imam Ali and Imam Hussain 

-Compared to the killer of Ali Asghar because one doesn't want a child etc 

If certain individuals in your social circles have suggested the last two points then that's a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. 

Also, what you described as the behaviour of scholars in the earlier points amounts to a serious breach of their basic duties whilst in a position of trust and influence. 

An accurate elaboration would be much appreciated. 

Wasalam 

1 hour ago, Ruqaya101 said:

examples?

like those groups specially in India/Pakistan who are openly spreading nusayriat hard in their majalis imambargah in recent years

those who are going extreme and openly spreading hate against mujtahids and marjas on screens cussing mujtahideen and spreading that we don’t need taqleed.

and spreading issues like ill mention couple of them like shahadat salisa is wajib in tashahud in namaz if we don’t read shahadat salisa in tashahud our namaz is batil and we should not offer friday prayers because its not wajib not even mustehab

and than there is this other group who in the name of unity between Sunni Shia they glorify 3 khulfas and their believes and constantly talk rubbish about Shias to make Sunnis happy even though thay claim tobe Shia themselves.

15 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

But among Shias, every year it seems like their is new leader of community, and new rules which are enforced on EVERYONE

accept that other people are superior to us. We need to serve other people and sacrifice for them, and if we don't accept superiority of other people, we are going to hell

They belittle people who are not successful or rich, saying that followers of Ahlul Bayt should be most successful. I have noticed that religious teachings have also become more misogynistic

I have also noticed a lot of fat shaming, scholars make fun of obese people and promote superficial teachings, emphasizing that Ahlul Bayt were all  beautiful, and if someone is ugly, it's because of his bad amaal. I see many attempts of justifying wrong actions

woa this is some dark stuff, this is sad what you mentioned ,where is this all happening though?

I personally never experienced any ullama going hard like that on majalis

Now I have noticed that every scholar and center is always asking for money.

this is common pretty much in every center 

16 hours ago, Marbles said:

So many people have said Islam doesn't change. That is true on a theoretical level, but when interpretations of Islamic beliefs and practices change, it effectively means Islam changes.

In other words, a religion is what its majority of adherents make it out to be. What is written in Holy books and compendiums of jurisprudence remains the same.

This is a constant and evolving process and has existed throughout the history of Islam.

What is relevant here is to discuss how a change in culture or, more broadly, ethos of the time have changed how Islam is seen and practiced among its adherents.

The Revealed Religion has not changed. (Period). For new situations we have a directive( mentioned above). If there are 5 or 500 million followers is of no consequence.

Evolution you mention is in law, based on new situations but based on the  same Divinely revealed principles. 

----------------------------

If you mean, people changed. well in this case they changed the Teachings on the Tragedy of Thursday, Fadak, Saqifa, Battle of Jamal, Siffin and Karbala. Imam Husayn(عليه السلام) left Medina, Mecca and left Hajj at a time when whoever need to be there was there. So, in essence from the Medina, Mecca and among the Pilgrims only ( appox) 72 was on the True revealed Religion. 

If there are 1.8 Billion Muslims, and out of that may be lets assume 20 million  are in the west. And 95 % assimilate among the local culture or system and only 5% stay to the true teaching. Its not Islam's loss, its the 95% who are at loss. Or  assume from the  1.8 Billion many millions just are social Muslims . All thee are of no consequences in the end. Because we do not look at a Divine religion as a system or country club that we need to have an expansion drive and have many followers. Quality vs Quantity is operative here. 

First three Administrators were expansionist and that is what there adherents use as their success. But that is nothing new, there were system and kingdoms with wast amount of territory and subjects under their domain. Any system can achieve this but it all comes crumbling down once the value gap disappears as the subjects were party to a system either through some transient benefit or through fear of the occupiers. They will follow the next system regime which benefits them. This was physical subjugation either for social, monetary benefit of under duress. Not surrender of heart and soul to the Truth. 

Imam Ali(عليه السلام) may be looked upon by the people with this mentality in a negative way in terms of expansion. Did the Imam(عليه السلام) not know to have a truce with the administrator of Syria and go on expansion to bring in more subjects under his(عليه السلام) domain which translate into power/influence through tax revenue and resources of these territories. Imam Ali(عليه السلام) wanted the real teachings of the Divinely Revealed Religion to take hold in the minds and hearts of the people of that time and the one to follow in the future. Imam Hassan(عليه السلام) and Imam Husayn(عليه السلام) could have been very diplomatic and worked with he illegitimate leadership, if the sole purpose was to keep expanding the Domain of the empire. On the contrary, they work to expose the evil for the future generations. Only Expansion,  was not, never has been nor will be the priority. Domain expansion will be through hearts and mind, which has been happening and will continue to happen. 

I will not wast time in analysis of who is following and who is leaving or such issues because most of it is transient and in the overall scheme of things the one who is in control has already mentioned that His(عزّ وجلّ) Religion I.e the Truth/ primordial Nature will prevail.  These analysis are for worldly system, country clubs etc...

This  is why we do not care to please or are image conscious. We like to keep the core religion intact and people will follow. If we change to please the world, we loose the core and have nothing to offer in the end, we become like them. Every slow process, but we all think in terms of our lifespan and want to take credit for some action, we are only a link in this chain, do our job, which is to keep the core alive. Rest will take care of it self. Don't over think, over analyse just stick to the core message and message from Karbala is crystal clear.

Imam Husayn(عليه السلام) transcends time, space, race, religion, ethnic, cultural boundaries - Human flock to this his message, it resonates with their primordial nature. Keep it alive. There are forces out to confuse the message and dilute it and snatch people away from it. They will fail. 

You see today, the need of the humanity, they long for , desire a just leader for humanity.  Justice, equity(race, social, economic), Peace are desired by the entire world, its our primordial Nature. 

4 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

I know you said to list any recent changes in Islam, but I will point the major turning point; which dates back 1400 years ago

The Sunni and Shia split.

One could argue that hasnt changed Islam substantively. People changed. The religion is the same one as the one the Prophet taught.

Salams 

if I may interject, I have come across several comments on this thread referring to 'fitnah cults' and 'British Shiisim' etc which raises alarm bells.

I don't know if the individuals who use these phrases realise just how divisive and damaging those 'descriptions' are to all of the Shia and I  feel compelled to point out the danger in doing so. 

There is no doubt that there are ideas or actions by some that can amount to Fitnah. But painting whole groups of people with such phrases actually puts the person making the accusation in a position of spreading Fitnah and division themselves. 

I am jumping the gun at this point as no one actually referred to a specific group on this thread but I feel obliged to say this as those labels were mentioned. 

The label 'British or London Shiism' is in of itself a very contentious and dangerous label that has been recently thrown around our communities without much thought to the consequences. 

It's easier to paint whole groups with the same brush but that's not justice nor do we like it when we as Muslims are labelled as terrorists or abusers etc. So please let's be vey careful when using divisive terminology. Otherwise, we're going to be going around in pointless tit for tat arguments that only push us further apart. 

Waslam 

Edited by Moalfas
Typo

1 hour ago, Moalfas said:

Salams 

if I may interject, I have come across several comments on this thread referring to 'fitnah cults' and 'British Shiisim' etc which raises alarm bells.

I don't know if the individuals who use these phrases realise just how divisive and damaging those 'descriptions' are to all of the Shia and I  feel compelled to point out the danger in doing so. 

There is no doubt that there are ideas or actions by some that can amount to Fitnah. But painting whole groups of people with such phrases actually puts the person making the accusation in a position of spreading Fitnah and division themselves. 

I am jumping the gun at this point as no one actually referred to a specific group on this thread but I feel obliged to say this as those labels were mentioned. 

The label 'British or London Shiism' is in of itself a very contentious and dangerous label that has been recently thrown around our communities without much thought to the consequences. 

It's easier to paint whole groups with the same brush but that's not justice nor do we like it when we as Muslims are labelled as terrorists or abusers etc. So please let's be vey careful when using divisive terminology. Otherwise, we're going to be going around in pointless tit for tat arguments that only push us further apart. 

Waslam 

Thank you for this post. You're absolutely right and I completely agree with your outlook on this topic. Its quite degrading, honestly. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all.

3 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

One could argue that hasnt changed Islam substantively. People changed. The religion is the same one as the one the Prophet taught.

You are right. People did change, they caused damage to the Muslim ummah, and usurped the rights of the Ahlul Bayt(عليه السلام). They destroyed the same Islam as the Prophet (sawas) has taught.