Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Jaane Rabb

Upcoming BBC documentary "Undercover with the clerics"

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salaam,

Just found out about an upcoming BBC documentary titled "Undercover with the clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade", due to be released in two parts [5th and 11th October]. The allegations being made are serious, as detailed in the synopsis below:

Quote

Undercover with the Clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade

Part One - 5 October 2019 (30 mins)

Working with an undercover reporter, BBC Arabic's Nawal Al Maghafi investigates Shia clerics at some of Iraq's holiest shrines. She uncovers the exploitation of vulnerable girls and young women, tricked into 'pleasure marriage' with the help of clerics. Some clerics are also making money from helping men who want sex with very young girls. Secret filming reveals a cleric conducting a 'pleasure marriage' with a girl he believes to be only 13.

Part Two - 11 October 2019 (30 mins)

A BBC News Arabic investigation filmed undercover in Baghdad and Karbala, some of Iraq's holiest shrines, exposes a secret world of sexual exploitation of children and young women by a religious elite. In this second episode, the investigation reveals that some clerics don’t just make money from illegal 'pleasure marriages'; they actively recruit girls and even pimp them out. A 16-year-old alleges she has been pimped out by a cleric to dozens of men, while secret filming catches a cleric in the act of pimping a young woman. A young widow also tells how a cleric from an important shrine sold her to his friends in a prostitution ring.

Links:

Part 1 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098jb

Part 2 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098ff

https://www.frontlineclub.com/iraqs-secret-sex-trade/

Definitely one for the diary.

Fi Amanillah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victim mentality at play again. So you all will dismiss the documentary simply due to the timing? It is of no concern to you that the elite scholarship is taking advantage of vulnerable families?

I think you guys have misunderstood Imam Hussain’s message grossly. For the masses, it is reduced to the yearly rituals and nothing more.

Also, why is Moderassi so adamant about a BBC documentary of Arbaeen? BBC would expose all of the bizarre blood letting rituals. I think it is better they don’t shed light on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 786:) said:

It is of no concern to you that the elite scholarship is taking advantage of vulnerable families?

You haven't even watched the documentary yet and you are predicting that there is an "elite scholarship" that participates in or runs a "secret sex trade"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

You haven't even watched the documentary yet and you are predicting that there is an "elite scholarship" that participates in or runs a "secret sex trade"? 

You must have not read the description of the documentary. I’m not making any predictions. BBC has clearly outlined the thesis of its documentary. Please do your homework before you pass false judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 786:) said:

lol How would I name them? I’m not the one who did the documentary. Fact of the matter is, there are families exploited by individuals who wear a turban. It does not matter who it is.

According to reports, anyone, even an actor, can get a turban and start wearing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jaane Rabb said:

Salaam,

Just found out about an upcoming BBC documentary titled "Undercover with the clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade", due to be released in two parts [5th and 11th October]. The allegations being made are serious, as detailed in the synopsis below:

Links:

Part 1 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098jb

Part 2 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098ff

https://www.frontlineclub.com/iraqs-secret-sex-trade/

Definitely one for the diary.

Fi Amanillah

LOL, this isn't even surprising to me.

@3wliya_maryam, theyre too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timing issue aside, if it's a reality then it should be exposed. Disappointed with Moderassi's defensive response without him having even seen it yet.

Anyway. I don't know what I'd find more disturbing; The clerics doing this (if the allegations are true) or if they're doing it believing it's completely fine because of the distressing fiqh pertaining to sexual slavery, and in particular the concept of 'Tahleel' which allows the master to loan his slave to another exclusively for sexual pleasure.

I guess I'm wondering how they could sell such a practise using fiqh. Alas, it would be quite shocking if these clerics are still living in the dark ages. But the truth is, we laymen across the pond live in a world and have been taught a version of Shia Islam that is just a sugar coated topping.

I remember first hearing about an issue in the hawzas few years back through the immediate family of a respected cleric in London. They told me that the reason why the daughter wasn't allowed to study at Hawza is because of a 'mutah issue' that the Ayatollah (girl's father) was concerned with. Sounds like they may have put it mildly for my sanity.

This will be very damaging to the clerical institution if the documentary delivers as per the synopsis and depending who are involved. But the bigger question would be if they're using fiqh as justification and what are those fiqhi rules.

Edited by Jaane Rabb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If such accusations are true I just want to remember to you that Imam Zaman (عليه السلام) when he will come back will be very harsh against corrupt clerics. We have narrations about that so it is sad but at the end not so much surprising to see that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jaane Rabb said:

Salaam,

Just found out about an upcoming BBC documentary titled "Undercover with the clerics: Iraq’s Secret Sex Trade", due to be released in two parts [5th and 11th October]. The allegations being made are serious, as detailed in the synopsis below:

Links:

Part 1 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098jb

Part 2 - https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/programmes/m00098ff

https://www.frontlineclub.com/iraqs-secret-sex-trade/

Definitely one for the diary.

Fi Amanillah

Do you believe that a hypocrite cannot garb like an Alim ? Do you know about Ahmed al Hasan ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

LOL, this isn't even surprising to me.

@3wliya_maryam, theyre too late.

Could you elaborate on your comments? Just curious.

35 minutes ago, Jibrael-e-Muhammadi said:

Do you believe that a hypocrite cannot garb like an Alim ? Do you know about Ahmed al Hasan ?

No. Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't watched the documentary but I would bet my life sexual exploitation from clerics in power takes place.  For anyone to assume otherwise is to be completely ignorant of world history.  Furthermore, it isn't that hard to find ways to justify sexual exploitation within Islamic law, especially when it comes to sex slaves.

Edited by King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, King said:

Haven't watched the documentary but I would bet my life sexual exploitation from clerics in power takes place.  For anyone to assume otherwise is to be completely ignorant of world history.  Furthermore, it isn't that hard to find ways to justify sexual exploitation within Islamic law, especially when it comes to sex slaves.

Exactly! It’s amusing seeing people get so defensive about it. Wake up to reality. Not everything is wahhabi funded propaganda. I feel as if that’s just become the convenient excuse to everything now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 786:) said:

Exactly! It’s amusing seeing people get so defensive about it. Wake up to reality. Not everything is wahhabi funded propaganda. I feel as if that’s just become the convenient excuse to everything now.

Its called ignorance. People are very blind in this generation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jaane Rabb said:

BBC Arabic's Nawal Al Maghafi - she uncovers the exploitation of vulnerable girls and young women,

Al Maghafi and the BBC would know all about that, given how she has to undress herself on TV in order to be employed by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

I mean, this isn't something new. People need to wake up to life truths.

Just thought you had witnessed something personally, but I misunderstood. I don't trust any scholar, but I prefer to accuse someone with evidence than basing on assumption. I think what some people may find troubling is the "elites" in their religion - the people they look up to - committing these acts. So I can certainly sympathise with them. But that's the hard truth people need to wake up to, that these elites are nothing more than just people. Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is another. The trouble is though, how do the Shia handle this going forward knowing full well the actions can be justified with Shi'I law. How will a denunciation of the clerics involved change anything when they're basing their actions on fiqh, which allows this type of exploitation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jaane Rabb said:

Just thought you had witnessed something personally, but I misunderstood. I don't trust any scholar, but I prefer to accuse someone with evidence than basing on assumption. I think what some people may find troubling is the "elites" in their religion - the people they look up to - committing these acts. So I can certainly sympathise with them. But that's the hard truth people need to wake up to, that these elites are nothing more than just people. Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is another. The trouble is though, how do the Shia handle this going forward knowing full well the actions can be justified with Shi'I law. How will a denunciation of the clerics involved change anything when they're basing their actions on fiqh, which allows this type of exploitation?

I have had my own experiences, Im not going to publicise it though.

But even without any experiences, people are blind to be defensive about this, this is something that has been going for a long time, kids. Start opening your eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

I have had my own experiences, Im not going to publicise it though.

But even without any experiences, people are blind to be defensive about this, this is something that has been going for a long time, kids. Start opening your eyes.

Only a matter of time until you become labeled a Saudi funded agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaane Rabb said:
2 hours ago, Jibrael-e-Muhammadi said:

Do you believe that a hypocrite cannot garb like an Alim ? Do you know about Ahmed al Hasan ?

No. Yes.

I see very mature answer you get 0 out of 10 for the first answer and 10 out of 10 for the second answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 786:) said:

Only a matter of time until you become labeled a Saudi funded agent.

Oh trust me, ive been called and labelled a lot worse.

Once, I was the biggest propaganda on ShiaChat, best time of my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine relying on BBC to inform you about the world :hahaha:

The winter is a time where its very bright and white outside, the nature looks very beautiful and its a time where houses are warm and cozy.

The winter is a time where its very dark and depressing outside, the nature is dead and its a time where you lock yourself up.

All of the above is about the same thing and one could argue that all of its is true and not true. Rest assured anything BBC has to say about Islam will be like the second sentence describing the winter.

Meanwhile the british government fund daesh and other "moderate rebels" who in the name of Islam has caused much destruction, now their government funded news outlet (the BBC) is going to teach our youth about the "dark side" of Islam.

You know they caught a swedish daesh recruit in the United Kingdom and they held him for 9 months in detention but could not jail him nor have him on a trial for terrorism because it turned out the british government had funded his rebel group? So they had to let him go and secretly flew him back to sweden, his name is Bherlin Gildo for anyone who wants to confirm what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why are some people getting defensive? Not all clerics, whether they are Shia, Sunni, Sufi or whatever, are what we assume them to be. I mean it's not like we're better than them, but all I'm saying is that we literally live under a rock. I look forward to watching that documentary Insha Allah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

why are some people getting defensive? Not all clerics, whether they are Shia, Sunni, Sufi or whatever, are what we assume them to be. I mean it's not like we're better than them, but all I'm saying is that we literally live under a rock. I look forward to watching that documentary Insha Allah.

There is no truth they will show you that is not mixed with what they themselves want the truth to be.

I would be more concerned with the truth of who destroyed my country rather than the truth of whos having mutah with who if I was a young Iraqi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...