Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sumerian said:

After the victory against Iran, there was even protests in Sunni cities. The chants were anti-sectarian, anti-intervention and nationalist. People are seeing over sect and ethnicity for the first time in Iraq.

What "victory"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Counter-Terrorism Service in lraq is US led and organized under the PM. PM Mahdi is also commander of all armed forces. Most of lraq's new military equipment is wheeled light-armor designed for "domestic security operaions". [Many US sheriffs offices have heavier armor than this]. 

Here is an article on lraq's 4 armies:

https://warontherocks.com/2019/11/a-state-with-four-armies-how-to-deal-with-the-case-of-Iraq/ 

The first part is the "best" read. Then it gets a little confusing. lt does report that Kataib Hizballah are the group that droned the KSA oil facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Unfortunately for you, some people faking acts does not discredit the numerous verified images of men having their heads blown off. This is even admitted by the military themselves.

Play these games with someone else. 

Brother, no one has denied some have been killed during the unrest. The comment is talking about the fitna-monger cheaters and the same tactics in different countries they use to make sedition and fuel the fire for more unrest for what they benefit from, like they did in Syria.

Those who are protesting for corruption and economic reasons, do not need to do these things. They have other goals.

And, unfortunately some (online or in the protests) easily fall into their trap. We have seen and are seeing it in differnt countries. People need to be smarter.

Edited by kamyar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kamyar said:

Brother, no one has denied some have been killed during the unrest. The comment is talking about the fitna-monger cheaters and the same tactics in different countries they use to make sedition and fuel the fire for more unrest for what they benefit from, like they did in Syria.

Those who are protesting for corruption and economic reasons, do not need to do these things. They have other goals.

And, unfortunately some (online or in the protests) easily fall into their trap. We have seen and are seeing it in differnt countries. People need to be smarter.

I agree some people want to turn the protests into a violent riot where people and property are harmed (including consulates and diplomatic buildings). This is to be condemned. And I have no doubt that certain Governments and intellgence agencies around the world want this outcome. I pray this does not happen.

But what I hate on this forum is people refusing to condemn the Government policy of excessive use of force by security forces and corrupt parties and their armed wings targeting protesters and activists. Over 300 martyrs and counting. Over 10 thousand injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2300EST Friday, 15Nov19

The Day called for "a million" protesters to turn out.

lt is also the first day a bomb was set off under a car. Two killed and 10 wounded from this (VoA News reports 12 wounded; bbc.com below reports "more than a dozen").

The Morning Call  https://www.mcall.com/sns-bc-ml--Iraq-protests-20191115-story.html 

---Protesters "fought to tear down a concrete wall blocking access to Khalani Square" and the Green Zone, later  succeeding; hundreds of protesters were met by soldiers and riot police who killed 3 and wounded 25.

---this report quotes the Associated Press as saying live shooting is occuring.

Sistani "supports" protests https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50440110 

--"Large numbers" in Najaf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking:  Protesters take Khalani Square, part of Sinak Bridge and a 5 stroy parking garage after soldiers "withdrew".

https://hamodia.com/2019/11/16/Iraqi-protesters-seize-key-square-bagghdad/ 

Along Tahrir Square, protesters control two plazas which have access to the Green Zone and the gov't facilities within.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0300hrsEST Sunday,17Nov19

l had a good situation article from Baghdad Post, but "lost it" and now can't find it again.

 :keeporder:"Continue keeping Hasan's research and posts under control."

For a summary of Friday, Saturday and first part of Sunday, goto www.thebaghdadpost.com/ 

For a comment on future lraq, see: https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/44666/Expert-Iraq-will-regain-its-place-if-demonstrators-continue-to-hold-together   which basically says that every gov't has only contributed to existent problems and created new ones.

Also, Radio Baghdad Post is off-air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IRI Involvement

The Intercept has published some documents. These are prominetnly carried by New York Time, The Guardian and the following. Notice the lack of spin by Jerusalem Post and acknowledgement that IRI's objective has been to "watch" the US. 

Comment: because of the street level nature of covert activities, this explains why lRGC, X?X, and Tehran planted information gathers down o the local level inside lraq.

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-Intel-leak-700-documents-show-how-Iran-outplayed-the-US-in-Iraq-608183 

Also notice, the same "strong man" objective in the Obuma Administration and reiterated above by Pompeo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abductions, another report death(Sunday--gas cannister fired into the head), protesters "control" 3 Bridges across the Tigris (not cited below)

Grabbing Lawyers: https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20191118-3-Iraq-lawyers-were-abducted-by-armed-militias/ 

For a situation read/street perspective: https://www.mcall.com/sns-bc-ml-Iraq-protest-20191113-story.html 

No other news, so far. Monday 0630EST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hasanhh said:

IRI Involvement

The Intercept has published some documents. These are prominetnly carried by New York Time, The Guardian and the following. Notice the lack of spin by Jerusalem Post and acknowledgement that IRI's objective has been to "watch" the US. 

Comment: because of the street level nature of covert activities, this explains why lRGC, X?X, and Tehran planted information gathers down o the local level inside lraq.

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-Intel-leak-700-documents-show-how-Iran-outplayed-the-US-in-Iraq-608183 

Also notice, the same "strong man" objective in the Obuma Administration and reiterated above by Pompeo.

Iran has built up influence almost on all levels in the Iraqi government, it's hard to see a scenario in which that influence will diminish completely no matter what the outcome of these protests is. There's no doubt this has come at a cost to Iraqis, who want to build a stable country with less corruption and a strong economy, but Iran has acted like any country would. Hegemony or maybe in this case, you can call it counterhegemony, if you look at the US as the hegemon doesn't care about the human cost. Power is all that counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

There's no doubt this has come at a cost to Iraqis,

How bad would things have been without lRI interest in stability.

Remember all the children the US/UN murdered with sanctions ? (like they are starting in lRl)

How the Bushies deliberately screwed up the country?

As l posted, there is a street-level need for criminal information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

As l posted, there is a street-level need for criminal information.

Related:  

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/documents-reveal-Iran-partnered-with-former-cia-informants-in-Iraq-following-u-s-withdrawal/ 

--State Dept informants also.

Edited by hasanhh
spelin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baghdad Post, 19Nov19 local; 1830ESTMonday18Nov19NYC

-US threatens to impose sanctions on lraqi oficials ---if they are found to be involved in the crackdown

-public employees and students on general strike in Najaf

-protester dies on a bridge

-arrest warrants issued for teachers --for closing schools

-curfew imposed in Dhi Qar Raife --to prevent renewed violence

-Allawi blames gov't for Friday's explosion

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

A verbose article, yet relays information about lRl in lraq.

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/18/Iran-isis-Iraq-kurds/ 

--US mistakes

--Kurdish independence

--the "Awakening" and the US attempt to splitup lraq

Also talks about MOIS (Iranian intelligence) differences with the IRGC, and they were worried that the heavy handed approach of the IRGC and the open role they played, particularly Solemani in arming the militias in Iraq would result in anger against Iran, which it has. I think it showed MOIS is a very capable intelligence agency though, it would probably be up there with ISI and Mossad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

What lRl needs to immediately do is publish the who, where, how  of anyone who was killed.

This report does not expressly include the three police and Basji that were stabbed to death.

And it is written like all 106 were gunned down.

And this is the lraq thread, not the lran protest thread.

Edited by hasanhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Also talks about MOIS (Iranian intelligence) differences with the IRGC, and they were worried that the heavy handed approach of the IRGC and the open role they played, particularly Solemani in arming the militias in Iraq would result in anger against Iran, which it has. I think it showed MOIS is a very capable intelligence agency though, it would probably be up there with ISI and Mossad.

It is one of the best in the region, but not that good. Iran has had numerous intelligence failures with Iranian intelligence only realising after the fact. Like nuclear secrets being airlifted to Israel by the Mossad, among other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sumerian said:

It is one of the best in the region, but not that good. Iran has had numerous intelligence failures with Iranian intelligence only realising after the fact. Like nuclear secrets being airlifted to Israel by the Mossad, among other things.

I'm sure that's not a unique problem, intelligence does tend to seep out from time to time. Probably happens with the CIA/MI6/ISI/Mossad too.

Edited by Mohamed1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NlRF

the New lraqi Republic of Fear

ln case you want to read, but we(ShiaChat) already are aware of the protests:  https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/Iraq/2019-11-20/iraqs-new-republic-fear ; the info is:

--1/3 of protesters are men over 50

--Mahdi has taken to calling the protesters mukharabeen

--the corrupted of all parties are "coalescing" against the protesters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

NlRF

the New lraqi Republic of Fear

ln case you want to read, but we(ShiaChat) already are aware of the protests:  https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/Iraq/2019-11-20/iraqs-new-republic-fear ; the info is:

--1/3 of protesters are men over 50

--Mahdi has taken to calling the protesters mukharabeen

--the corrupted of all parties are "coalescing" against the protesters

As with every dictatorial or authoritarian state there is never an acknowledgement of their own problems, only deflect blame and unfortunately Iraq given the recent brutality against protesters falls under what I would consider an authoritarian government. 

I don't know if I see a way out of this for Iraq, protests usually lead somewhere when there is leadership behind them with an organized movement having very clear and focused goals. Most of them fail and fizzle out because that doesn't happen most of the time. I can't envisage a scenario in which even if the Iraqi government changes, Iranian influence, which is blamed for the corruption as well will be curbed. The intercept article clearly shows how entrenched the influence is, economically, politically and militarily. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NoonEST, = 2000hrs Baghdad, 20Nov19 

h

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/44721/Iraq-officials-27-wounded-in-renewed-fighting-in-Baghdad 

--at the Ahrar Bridge, time 0400 to 0500 AST(Baghdad)

 

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/44720/Iraq-political-deal-hands-Abdul-Mahdi-a-reprieve-in-face-of-protests 

---45 days worth of "reprieve"

---gov't trying to outlast the protests say protesters

Edited by hasanhh
link correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

protests usually lead somewhere when there is leadership behind them

l'II repost this from the Lebanon Protests thread --- the formation of "alternative representative bodies" in Lebanon; as the lraqi may do the same.

h

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/month-hope-defiance-Lebanon-protests-persist-191117082420709.html 

Edited by hasanhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

After numerous discussions with numerous people during my time in Iraq, all I can say is that I think something far worse than daesh will come to Iraq soon if things continue like this.

:cry: and :book:"From what l anticipate it will be Daesh on steroids."

When did you get back from there. Our friends got back in about May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I'm sure that's not a unique problem, intelligence does tend to seep out from time to time. Probably happens with the CIA/MI6/ISI/Mossad too.

Intelligence is never usually airlifted out this easily. Like I said Iran has good intelligence, but I wouldn't put it up there with those other organisations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

After numerous discussions with numerous people during my time in Iraq, all I can say is that I think something far worse than daesh will come to Iraq soon if things continue like this.

Lol nope. These are the best times for Iraq, when Shia and Sunnis are together under one nation, rejecting corrupt and sectarian politicians. True patriotism. The only way it can get worse is if the fake Islamists and sectarianists use even more violence than they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday morning, 0430EST, 21Nov19

Two more killed this morning -gas cannisters fired directly into their heads- and another 38 wounded

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-Iraq-protests/two-killed-and-38-wounded-in-baghdad-protests-security-sources-idUSKBN1XV0UT 

and, Baghdad "split in half:

https://www.courant.com/sns-bc-ml-Iraq-protests-20191119-story.html   Title is: "lraqi protesters block commercial ports, split capital"

Edited by hasanhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

After numerous discussions with numerous people during my time in Iraq, all I can say is that I think something far worse than daesh will come to Iraq soon if things continue like this.

By trusting Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and following what is the right way to do. Right now, the only right way is united iraqis to Protest and change this evilness.

Edited by Abu Nur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/44737/Iraqi-forces-surround-schools-to-prevent-students-from-joining-protests 

Teachers and school adminstrators are being "forced" to turn over absentee and attendence rosters to the intelligence service.

 

7 dead ~80 wounded in Baghdad https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/killed-Iraq-seeks-quell-renewed-violence-191121172906703.html 

Associated Press reporting 8 dead and 90 wounded: https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/nov/22/day-s-death-toll-at-8-for-protesters-in/ 

 

Gulf port of Umm Qasr reopened after "forcibly dispersing protesters" :  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-Iraq-protests/security-forces-reopen-entrance-to-iraqs-key-umm-qasr-port-idUSKBN1XW0NM 

Ayatollah Sistani urges politicians to hurry up with electorial reforms: https://www.reuters.com./article/us-Iraq-protests/iraqs-Sistani-says-electorial-reforms-only-way-to-resolve-crisis-representative-idUSKBN1XW0YL 

One of 3,000 maimed, Hamza: https://www.france24.com/en/20191122-this-is-my-sacrifice-thousands-maimed-in-Iraq-protests 

 

.                                            Another Sad Day in Iraq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...