Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AkhiraisReal

Polygyny [POLL]

Rate this topic

Questions to brothers and sisters.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Question for brothers, would you consider to marry more than 1 wife permanently

• I have 1 wife, and want to marry more
    • I have 1 wife, will not marry more
    • I have no wife, but I want to marry more than 1 in the future.
    • I have no wife, but will only marry 1
    • I already have more than 1 wife
    • I am a sister.
  2. 2. 2. Question to the sisters. Would you consider being the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th wife.

• Noway!
    • Yes, because Allah has given them the permission and He knows best.
    • I am a brother
  3. 3. Question to the sisters. If you husband gets a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th wife, would you seek means to divorce him or cause him trouble?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am a brother

This poll might not be very insightful in the end because there is no question asking some important factors like the woman's age, region the women were raised in (west, Asia, Middle East, etc), if the women have been married before and are now divorced or widowed, for example. 

I can't speak for other demographics, but in the community of the never married before Shia girls who grew up in US, I have yet to meet one who would even simply *entertain* the idea of marrying a polygamous man, or a man who plans to be one. A husband being monogamous is the bare bones, minimum standard for us.

Edited by Lilly14

2 hours ago, Lilly14 said:

This poll might not be very insightful in the end because there is no question asking some important factors like the woman's age, region the women were raised in (west, Asia, Middle East, etc), if the women have been married before and are now divorced or widowed, for example. 

Also there is a difference between accepting the concept for religious reasons on the one hand and really being OK with it on a personal level on the other.

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l am not voting in the poll because none of the choices apply to me.

Additional wives are for political or charitable reasons.

Salam. The choices apply to everyone. Whatever your reason is for polygyny. Whether it's charitable reasons, bigger family, helping other women out, protecting your deen, spreading Islam etc.

5 hours ago, Lilly14 said:

I can't speak for other demographics, but in the community of the never married before Shia girls who grew up in US, I have yet to meet one who would even simply *entertain* the idea of marrying a polygamous man, or a man who plans to be one. A husband being monogamous is the bare bones, minimum standard for us.

It's a simple poll. Some men and women consider polygyny some kind of taboo. Others are just afraid of it, or can't bother.

The question is simple without taking other factors in, because then it would be to many questions and choices.

Do the men of shiachat want to marry more than 1 or only 1. Will the sisters accept it, or refuse and seek means to divorce.

14 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l am not voting in the poll because none of the choices apply to me.

Additional wives are for political or charitable reasons.

HAHHAHA

13 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Good luck for those who want to marry more than one, May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) save you from the suffering and agony.

In sha Allah.

Do you know brother how many poor women there are in certain nations, such as brazil, venezuela, mexico, African countries, Asian countries (Just as an example, doesn't have to be poor women). I believe if you approach them in the right way, they would convert to Islam and they would accept polygyny.

I don't know how a man can honestly say "I have 1 wife, will not marry more" or "I have no wife, but will only marry 1."

He has no way of knowing if he will get divorced and marry again OR his wife will die and he would need to marry a second wife. 

4 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

I don't know how a man can honestly say "I have 1 wife, will not marry more" or "I have no wife, but will only marry 1."

He has no way of knowing if he will get divorced and marry again OR his wife will die and he would need to marry a second wife. 

It's about having multiple wives simultaneously.