Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
aaaz1618

Genetic Disorders from an Islamic Perspective

Rate this topic

Why are children born with genetic disorders and what can we take from this if we are Muslims and our child is born with a genetic disorder, such as Downs Syndrome or any disorder that will cause a decrease in quality of life?

1 hour ago, aaaz1618 said:

Why are children born with genetic disorders and what can we take from this if we are Muslims and our child is born with a genetic disorder, such as Downs Syndrome or any disorder that will cause a decrease in quality of life?

What do you mean? Everything good or bad in life is a test.

3 minutes ago, notme said:

What do you mean? Everything good or bad in life is a test.

A test for who, who's being tested? The parents with full facilities to pass or fail the test or the child without the facilities who has no say in being tested? The parents and child are tested, but why should the child be tested, if a person is innocent then why test them with a genetic disorder? Why should one child have a genetic disorder while another child be born a royal and face a life of luxury?

8 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

A test for who, who's being tested? The parents with full facilities to pass or fail the test or the child without the facilities who has no say in being tested? The parents and child are tested, but why should the child be tested, if a person is innocent then why test them with a genetic disorder? Why should one child have a genetic disorder while another child be born a royal and face a life of luxury?

Every interaction you have with every other person you meet is a test. Parents of children with illnesses or disabilities are being tested, but so are the doctors, teachers, even other children that they play with and caretakers when they are adult. The child is only being tested if he is capable of making choices. Why should one person be raped and another win the lottery? Why do good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people?

Just trust in two things: Allah will not give a person more burden than he can bear, and whatever good deeds we do without reward in this life will be rewarded in the afterlife.

Edited by notme

4 minutes ago, notme said:

Parents of children with illnesses or disabilities are being tested, but so are the doctors, teachers, even other children that they play with and caretakers when they are adult

Here's the issue, we think about how this is a test for us yet we forget the person in the centre of this all, the child. If we are being tested, does that not make a child nothing more than a guinea pig/test subject? We are being tested but it isn't us that will never have the quality of life that an innocent child deserves. 

I find it hard to see how a child can be tested with something that will potentially shorten their life and decrease their quality of life and how this can relate to God, who wants the best for people. No matter how much one prays, pays sadaqah and believes, is it still within God to test a child in this way, is this benevolence and kindness?

In being tested a child with an illness or disorder becomes the scapegoat, while we're here trying to get the right answers to the test, the child is the one truly suffering. Let the test be for us, not them, they can't even answer for themselves, how are they to pass a test set by God?

I'm really stuck with this one, I really am.

5 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Here's the issue, we think about how this is a test for us yet we forget the person in the centre of this all, the child. If we are being tested, does that not make a child nothing more than a guinea pig/test subject? We are being tested but it isn't us that will never have the quality of life that an innocent child deserves. 

I find it hard to see how a child can be tested with something that will potentially shorten their life and decrease their quality of life and how this can relate to God, who wants the best for people. No matter how much one prays, pays sadaqah and believes, is it still within God to test a child in this way, is this benevolence and kindness?

I get what you're trying to say here, but  every creation that comes from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is unique, so if a child is born with a disorder/disability, doesn't mean that its just going to be a subject towards the parents; it still has a purpose just like every other human being He created. a child who is born with a defect is infact blessed in the eyes of God.

however I believe that there are genetic preventative procedures that are given before birth; if one knows that their child will be born with a disability then they should proceed with it cause who would want to see their child suffer for the rest of their lives? It's like Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is giving a chance

1 minute ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

however I believe that there are genetic preventative procedures that are given before birth; if one knows that their child will be born with a disability then they should proceed with it cause who would want to see their child suffer for the rest of their lives? It's like Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is giving a chance

Yes, there are procedures but they aren't without their risks and if nobody knows what is in the womb truly except Allah then what use would such procedure be anyway?

1 minute ago, aaaz1618 said:

Yes, there are procedures but they aren't without their risks and if nobody knows what is in the womb truly except Allah then what use would such procedure be anyway?

well I mean technically if there's a risk that the child might inherit a genetic disorder from their parents or relatives, its better to do the procedure for the sake of the child's health. thats only if theres a risk

8 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

In being tested a child with an illness or disorder becomes the scapegoat, while we're here trying to get the right answers to the test, the child is the one truly suffering. Let the test be for us, not them, they can't even answer for themselves, how are they to pass a test set by God?

I'm really stuck with this one, I really am.

well I mean imagine how fast they will enter jannah

4 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

Which marjas allow this abortion in case of genetic defect? Im interested in seeing a source.

25 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

If we are being tested, does that not make a child nothing more than a guinea pig/test subject? We are being tested but it isn't us that will never have the quality of life that an innocent child deserves. 

How can a person even think that? Any child is a test! A child with unique genius is probably a much more difficult, but you won't see those parents wallowing in self pity or dehumanizing their child with these sentiments!

3 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Which marjas allow this abortion in case of genetic defect?

Another issue now arises here, if genetic disorders are a test from Allah then how can you abort a fetus with a genetic disorder? If they are tests they are set for a reason, not to be avoided, right?

6 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Which marjas allow this abortion in case of genetic defect? Im interested in seeing a source.

None do. Abortion is always haram unless the pregnancy endangers the mother's life.

1 minute ago, notme said:

wallowing in self pity

How is not wanting your child to suffer wallowing in self pity? I'm saying, by all means test the parent but leave the child be, that's not self pity, if anything that is as selfless as you can get.

Just now, aaaz1618 said:

How is not wanting your child to suffer wallowing in self pity? I'm saying, by all means test the parent but leave the child be, that's not self pity, if anything that is as selfless as you can get.

Every child, every human being, is created perfect, with different strengths and weaknesses. If a child will have a more difficult time in our society, everyone around them must do what they can to make it as better as they can.

7 minutes ago, notme said:

Every child, every human being, is created perfect, with different strengths and weaknesses. If a child will have a more difficult time in our society, everyone around them must do what they can to make it as better as they can.

Of course, how can I disagree with that? There's no self pity to what I said though. 

Let's look at it from another angle, what is the purpose of testing a child with a genetic disorder/syndrome? Ignore the parents and those around them for a minute, what is the purpose of testing that child?

Because the reason we are tested isn't the same a baby is tested, is it?

Edited by aaaz1618

51 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

Because the reason we are tested isn't the same a baby is tested, is it?

The baby isn't being tested. The baby is spiritual perfection, even with the physical or mental disorders or illnesses, and if the child never develops the capacity to understand sin, he or she will remain spiritually perfect.

If the baby is one who will grow to be a true momin, then even as a baby and even with all his disabilities, he would bow his head down in front of Allah in utter awe and absolute praise and never ending thankfulness because of the sheer degree of blessings and favours Allah has bestowed upon that disabled child, by making him a human being. The child would say that even if Allah had made him a thousand times more disabled than he already is, he would still never ever be able to thank Allah enough, even if he were to spend his entire life in prostration. The blessings of Allah upon all mankind  are so unimaginably great and supreme and wonderful that no degree of disability or hardship or trial in this world can be anywhere close to the point where the man would have any right to complain about it. 

No matter how difficult a child or a man's life may seem to him or to others, he would never ever be able to thank Allah enough for the gifts He has bestowed upon that child / man - even if he is the most disabled person in the entire universe. 

So the question here is not why Allah tests innocent babies by making them disabled, the question is why don't people who are disabled from birth thank Allah all the time for His absolutely amazing blessings and favours. 

10 hours ago, Hijabi Sister said:

If the baby is one who will grow to be a true momin...

If a baby grows to be a child that cannot feed itself, speak or understand the world like other children to the degree that their mind is permanently baby-like do you still believe they would bow down in utter awe? A person who has the mental capacity to think so deeply about God isn't the sort of person I'm discussing here.

I think it's easier for a lot of people to comment until they are in this situation. I know there are a few people with children with Autism on here though so I'm not showing any disrespect in that matter.

I appreciate your thoughts on it though, jazak Allahu kheir.

Physical disability is one kind of circumstantial test a person is born with, why are you singling that out as being unfair? There are all kinds of tests in this world. Having a disorder is a hard test for that person, but at the same time maybe they know no other life and are satisfied with being themself. If they do have more mental capability, they still have to make decisions within that capability to do good or bad, despite their circumstances, and will be judged accordingly. Allah knows what that person endures and is All-Merciful in his judgement. 

I really like this channel. One thing that I find interesting is that for the most part, the people with the seemingly most challenging disorders are the most grateful to Allah and the most at peace with themselves. Watch this girl and see that her attitude and outlook on life is her choice, and she chooses to love herself. 

@ireallywannaknow I'm singling it out because it is what is troubling me and I see it as unfair upon the person it is happening to. I am aware there are all sorts of tests in this world, but they are tests sent to keep us firm in faith, thankful etc. Such tests cannot be sent to a child.

I am thankful for what 'notme' said when she said babies are born spiritually perfect. Sometimes when grief and doubt affects a person it hard to see the simplicity of things.

I'll take a look at the video insha'Allah.

30 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

@ireallywannaknow I'm singling it out because it is what is troubling me and I see it as unfair upon the person it is happening to. I am aware there are all sorts of tests in this world, but they are tests sent to keep us firm in faith, thankful etc. Such tests cannot be sent to a child.

You're right that a "test" is not given to a child. What I meant was unfavorable circumstances such as a child being born into an abusive household. It is out of their control and sad and unfair, yet it still happens. We are all born with some cards stacked against us but all children must grow up (if they die first then they die sinless) and thats when the 'test' part kicks in, it is about how we deal with the hand we were given in life and still manage to be good people and worship Allah. Whether that hand includes an abusive childhood, genetic disorder, poverty, etc. Each of us is given a unique capacity based on our circumstances and abilities to reach our max spiritual level, and the goal is to get as close to that as we can in our lives despite what we have going against us. 

47 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I am thankful for what 'notme' said when she said babies are born spiritually perfect. Sometimes when grief and doubt affects a person it hard to see the simplicity of things.

Oh good :) May Allah make things clear for you. 

48 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I'll take a look at the video insha'Allah

Okay, watch all the other videos on the channel too, it's one of the best channels on YouTube in my opinion :sunglasses:

2 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

I know there are a few people with children with Autism on here though so I'm not showing any disrespect in that matter.

Two of my four children have autism. My oldest is legally adult and quite high functioning, but still needs help with day to day things. He is intelligent and talented, but lacks abstract and predictive thinking and has some difficulties with communicating and problem solving. My youngest son is four years old, and loves nature, and seems to have a natural talent at gymnastics, and loves to build with any blocks we give him. He also is an extremely picky eater, becomes distressed by changes to routine, and doesn't talk or sign at all or reliably use the toilet.

Yes, some things in life are harder for both of these kids, but it's not a test for the innocent. Life is harder for the frog born in the desert too, but they are still innocent and perfect creatures. "Test" only applies where we can choose a right or wrong action (or inaction) with knowledge. Raising a child with unusual abilities or unusual difficulties is hard, but it is freeing too - there is less urge to compare your child to others, and you learn to appreciate things that most parents take for granted.