Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ahmedchishti

Is ma'tam bi'dah?

Rate this topic

According to our beliefs, the Sunni practice of Tarawih is bi'dah since the Prophet did not pray this type of namaz. Yet, us Shia do ma'tam and claim for it to be an act of sawab although Prophet Muhammad didn't do ma'tam either... So how can tarawih be haram/bidah yet matam is reccomended and halal. 

:salam:

Mourning for your loved one is not bidah. Instead it is the practice of our Prophet (s.a.). He (s.a.) cried for his loved ones and so does His Ahle bayt ((عليه السلام).). And so does the Shias.
Who is more beloved to the Shias than Rasul-e-khoda (s.a.) and His Ahle-bayet ((عليه السلام).)?
Shouldn't the Shias cry for their most beloved persons?

Click here to know more-

https://www.al-Islam.org/uprising-ashura-and-responses-doubts-Ali-asghar-ridwani/historical-view-crying-sufferings-Allah-s

&

https://www.al-Islam.org/forty-hadith-on-azadari/ahadith-traditions#12-remembrance-children-fatimah

Ma'tam is a way to express grief that is more cultural rather than religious, which is why different cultures have different ways of doing it. Scholars encourage it as long as it does not contradict the teachings of Islam (eg, cause people to hurt themselves, include lies about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), His messengers and Imams) since it enshrines the the remembrance of the Ahlul Bayt in society which is techincally a good thing. However, we cannot claim that in and of itself, ma'tam is an islamically sanctioned mustahab act (like Umrah, nafilah prayers etc) and so if a Muslim does engage in it, it does not necessarily mean they get rewards. This is similar to scholars wearing turbans for example, while it looks 'Muslim' it is not actually a part of Islam and they don't get extra points for wearing it, it's a social custom that isn't necessarily bad. 

The goal of the message of Imam Hussain was reformation to the true Islamic ideals of his grandfather and to stand against injustice. Any act which makes this a reality and does not go against Islamic teachings is inherently a halal and good act. Ma'tam can be good if it achieves these things, but it can also be close to haram if the poetry, actions etc. do not serve the aims of Imam Hussain ((عليه السلام)) which are the aims of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  

To to sum up, ma'tam is a form of poetry and lamentation which is not a central part of Islam or necessarily divinely ordained - it is a way that people have made to express their feelings about Imam Hussain and can be halal or haram based on how it is done. I think it's best we do not have the mindset that this is a divinely ordained part of Islam lest we be introducing bid'ah like you say.

1 hour ago, Subhanallah Alhamdullilah said:

Ma'tam is a way to express grief that is more cultural rather than religious, which is why different cultures have different ways of doing it. Scholars encourage it as long as it does not contradict the teachings of Islam (eg, cause people to hurt themselves, include lies about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), His messengers and Imams) since it enshrines the the remembrance of the Ahlul Bayt in society which is techincally a good thing. However, we cannot claim that in and of itself, ma'tam is an islamically sanctioned mustahab act (like Umrah, nafilah prayers etc) and so if a Muslim does engage in it, it does not necessarily mean they get rewards. This is similar to scholars wearing turbans for example, while it looks 'Muslim' it is not actually a part of Islam and they don't get extra points for wearing it, it's a social custom that isn't necessarily bad. 

The goal of the message of Imam Hussain was reformation to the true Islamic ideals of his grandfather and to stand against injustice. Any act which makes this a reality and does not go against Islamic teachings is inherently a halal and good act. Ma'tam can be good if it achieves these things, but it can also be close to haram if the poetry, actions etc. do not serve the aims of Imam Hussain ((عليه السلام)) which are the aims of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  

To to sum up, ma'tam is a form of poetry and lamentation which is not a central part of Islam or necessarily divinely ordained - it is a way that people have made to express their feelings about Imam Hussain and can be halal or haram based on how it is done. I think it's best we do not have the mindset that this is a divinely ordained part of Islam lest we be introducing bid'ah like you say.

Thanks, I now understand... I did not dislike it but I was confused with so many people saying it's good, bad, haram, all these things but this answers really clears it up.. thanks :)

3 hours ago, nil said:

Mourning for your loved one is not bidah. Instead it is the practice of our Prophet (s.a.)

Prayer is also a practice of our Prophet and tarawih is a type of prayer. While mourning isn't haram, how we do it can make it haram. While prayer isn't haram, how we do it can make it haram.

I don't do either things, so I'm not arguing for or against either, but somebody could make this argument 

2 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

While mourning isn't haram, how we do it can make it haram. While prayer isn't haram, how we do it can make it haram.

I couldn't agree more with you. If have read the previous two links that I shared then you might have a rough idea about the proper method of mourning. Needless to say, except few marjas most of them prohibit Shias to perform extreme acts. (in fear of innovation and defaming shi'ism perhaps).

Here's another narration-

Imam al-Sadiq (عليه السلام) told ‘Abd Allah ibn Hammad, “News has reached me that a group of people around the area of Kufah and other places and also a group of women gather on the 15th of Sha‘ban near the holy shrine of al-Husayn ibn ‘Ali and mourn the loss of al-Husayn (عليه السلام). They recite the Holy Qur’an, and some among them recount the story of ‘Ashura and the events that came to pass while the rest of them weep and wail.”

Hammad told the Imam (عليه السلام), “I witnessed these mourning ceremonies myself.”

Imam al-Sadiq (عليه السلام) said, “Praise be to Allah that He has made some men inclined and affectionate towards us (the Ahl al-Bayt), so that they may praise and extol us. They mourn for us and rebuke our enemies, and in this way clearly expose the ugly and unacceptable deeds of those who oppose us.”

You can check this too-

https://www.al-Islam.org/uprising-ashura-and-responses-doubts-Ali-asghar-ridwani/psychology-mourning

Just like prayer was established by the Prophet, so was mourning for Imam Hussein. The way we mourn depends on cultural norms. The difference between tarawih and ma'tam/latm is the Prophet (saws) said to pray all prayers other than obligatory prayers at home, and prayed the night prayer at home himself, until Umar came along and made people pray it together, directly contradicting the Prophet's teachings.

So now, we have two different situations:

1. Sunnis claiming tarawih is mustahhab in and of itself, while it's Haram according to the Prophet (saws).

2. Shias claiming mourning is mustahhab, which is shown by the teachings of the Prophet (saws) and his family, but it doesn't matter which way they mourn, as long as it is within the boundaries of Islamic law. So it is not latm/ma'tam that is mustahhab in and of itself, nobody claims this, but the act of mourning is the mustahhab part, the way of reaching these means depends on culture. Take a look at this analogy: Going to the mosque is mustahhab, but it doesn't matter whether you walk or drive or run, as long as you get to the mosque. Mourning for Imam Hussein is mustahhab, but it doesn't matter whether you do ma'tam/latm or you beat your head or another way of mourning within the boundaries of Shari'a, as long as you reach the status of mourning.