Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ruqaya101

Climate Change

People need to relax and not jump to conclusions. She's a 15 year old girl for crying out loud! Grow up and stop treating people horribly just because they do something you're against. Have some common sense, if theres flaws in her speech, or whatever it is you picked at, either let it go, mention it in a respectful way and don't lash out.

She's 15.

She's only learning and growing.

Stop making it seem like she praised ISIS.

35 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Even if she was "for" something I was "for", I am not swayed by what kids, teenagers and college know-it-alls  say.

You don't need to be "swayed" by anyone, with all due respect but no one cares. But maintain some decency when talking about younger adults and kids, regardless of what they say, especially when its for a good cause and especially when being good role model figures for younger kids. 

Even if they were none of that, then be a little formal with what you say, otherwise some of us here will mistake you for a "college know-it-all."

Your words mean something, use it for good. If you got nothing good to say, then whats the point of you saying anything at all? "Speak a good word, or remain silent"- Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

:) peace.

Edited by Ruqaya101

24 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Even if she was "for" something I was "for", I am not swayed by what kids, teenagers and college know-it-alls  say.

That is the arrogance of old age, and the reason for a lot of the problems in the world. A human being should always have the humility to learn from even the lowest, most inferior person. (Not that I'm saying she's inferior, just that you identified young people as inferior to yourself.)

@notme , @3wliya_maryam , & @Ruqaya101

No kid or teenager is academically qualified to sway any opinion.

What is re-Greta (to confirm youz all's negative perception of me) is that she gets any attention at all.

Example: ln the 1990s a volcano erupted under the ice cap in the Antarctic, triggering reasonably justified fears to a major slough-off of ice. Ten years later, this continuousIy erupting volcano had not even begun to penetrate the ice above it. So what then is the thermodynamic requirement to raise sea levels significantly?

6 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

She isn't creating the science. She is just trying to bring awareness of it, same as hundreds or thousands of young activists for decades.

I don't know why the media picked up on Greta while ignoring others, but that doesn't reduce her message.

I don't understand how the same generation that brought an end to the American involvement in Vietnam with their protests can now say that young people can't make a difference and don't understand their world.

Also, I don't have a negative perception of you. I just disagree.

12 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

@notme , @3wliya_maryam , & @Ruqaya101

What is re-Greta (to confirm youz all's negative perception of me) is that she gets any attention at all.

Example: ln the 1990s a volcano erupted under the ice cap in the Antarctic, triggering reasonably justified fears to a major slough-off of ice. Ten years later, this continuousIy erupting volcano had not even begun to penetrate the ice above it. So what then is the thermodynamic requirement to raise sea levels significantly?

This isn't the point. The point is no one should be lashing out at a young girl, regardless of her swaying you or not. Its just impolite and wrong. You don't know what she's been through or what she's going through at the moment. All she did was shine some light on a very serious issue being climate change. 

4 minutes ago, notme said:

I don't understand how the same generation that brought an end to the American involvement in Vietnam with their protests can now say that young people can't make a difference and don't understand their world.

This 'accomplishment' is very much over hyped/over-sold. I was around it and lived through it.

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

1] Says who?

2] She is now a public figure and is open to any comment someone wishes to make.

3] Age does not beget sanctity.

I disagree. Yes, she's a public figure, but she's still an immature teenager, and one with autism at that.

Would you say the same if she were eight years old? Or four?

Whatever you think of the children, they still don't need to be verbally abused by the adults.

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

1] Says who?

2] She is now a public figure and is open to any comment someone wishes to make.

3] Age does not beget sanctity.

1.Says who?? Someone your age should be saying that, and teaching young kids to be that way. Its immoral and wrong for someone your age to *lash* out at a girl who has aspergers. If you want to state your opinion, do so nicely and with some manners. 

2. "Speak a good word, or remain silent"- Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Theres a comment for you to think about.

3. Speak for yourself, please.

This is an old video. I don't know the date.

What the children and young adults think or know is actually much more important than what their elders know. The elders' time in this life isn't so much. The children are the ones who will have to live with the consequences. It has always been this way.

4 minutes ago, notme said:

I disagree. Yes, she's a public figure, but she's still an immature teenager, and one with autism at that. Which is WHY l do not consider her important, or listen to.

Would you say the same if she were eight years old? Or four?  YES !

Whatever you think of the children, they still don't need to be verbally abused by the adults.[ :hahaha: You never told your kids to sit-down-and-shut-up ?:hahaha: ]

Responses in boldface.

Just now, hasanhh said:

You never told your kids to sit-down-and-shut-up ?:hahaha:

No. No I don't. I treat them the way I would want to be treated. It's my responsibility as an adult to model the kind of behavior I'd like to see in them.

I tread on the path of scepticism because I trust no one - just my Lord.

However, one thing is for sure with this whole climate drama; Mankind has absolutely ruined this planet since the last 50 years. Pollution, human waste, deforestation, man made disasters, etc.

Nowadays, you'd be lucky to drink a glass of water without it containing micro-plastics.

I'm glad someone is taking the initiative. But I think this is how the human species will end leading to Qiyamah. We are our own worst enemy.

3 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Responses in boldface.

You have a lot to learn, and  I advise you to backtrack into the behaviours of Ahlul Bayt and to their words. Ignorance is normal, but we should always strive for knowledge for knowledge is power. 

If you got that power, you should use it for good.

Treat people with respect, if you demand it. Treat people with respect, nonetheless. 

Just now, Jaane Rabb said:

I tread on the path of scepticism because I trust no one - just my Lord.

Skepticism is a respectable stance. However, if we do everything that the environmentalists suggest and then it turns out that climate change was all a misinterpretation of data, nothing is harmed and plenty is helped by those changes in our activity. Worst case if we as a species take action to reduce climate change is the world becomes cleaner and nicer and we develop new and better energy production technologies. I don't understand the resistance to change.

2 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

1.Says who?? Someone your age should be saying that, and teaching young kids to be that way. Its immoral and wrong for someone your age to *lash* out at a girl who has aspergers. If you want to state your opinion, do so nicely and with some manners.  [lt is not "immoral and wrong" to criticized. Her sex makes her immune to criticism? Her age makes he immune to criticism? And Aspergers is a "developmental disorder" so she is by definition lacks age appropriate socio-political conceptualizations.]

2. "Speak a good word, or remain silent"- Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Theres a comment for you to think about. [You only used this as a silencing technique. You failed.]

3. Speak for yourself, please. I sure as heck will !

Responses in boldface.

6 minutes ago, notme said:

No. No I don't. I treat them the way I would want to be treated. It's my responsibility as an adult to model the kind of behavior I'd like to see in them.

l am inclined to believe you because l treat kids as "little adults".

10 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

Also, for your information, autistic people have very high IQ's, maybe go and do some research about that. 

And they're known to be smart and clever.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4927579/

"High lQ" cuts across the social spectrum -from criminals, to blue collar, to engineers, to 'failures' (The book, Whatever Happened to the Whiz Kids?) There is also the "Quiz Kids". The ones l am referring to were in the 1950s, most of whom had no career. One was a nightclub manager.

Edited by hasanhh
Capitalization

22 minutes ago, notme said:

Skepticism is a respectable stance. However, if we do everything that the environmentalists suggest and then it turns out that climate change was all a misinterpretation of data, nothing is harmed and plenty is helped by those changes in our activity. Worst case if we as a species take action to reduce climate change is the world becomes cleaner and nicer and we develop new and better energy production technologies. I don't understand the resistance to change.

No resistance from me. Precaution is part n parcel with scepticism, for me at least. I'd much rather a greener planet.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

She never claimed this. Everytime she speaks, she says defer to the scientists, not to her. 
Not sure why you’re so triggered, and with all due respect, the effects of climate change will hit the new generations the hardest, long after you’re gone, so not sure what your productive aim is here.

Do you still listen to Rush Limbaugh?

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:
  1 hour ago, notme said:

I disagree. Yes, she's a public figure, but she's still an immature teenager, and one with autism at that. Which is WHY l do not consider her important, or listen to.

Would you say the same if she were eight years old? Or four?  YES !

Whatever you think of the children, they still don't need to be verbally abused by the adults.[ :hahaha: You never told your kids to sit-down-and-shut-up ?:hahaha: ]

who the hell do you even think you are. so if someone suffers from a disability, they're not worth listening to and are treated like a piece of trash? So its better to just listen to egoistic elders like you who put themselves before others

and kinda immature aswell 

Besides her autism doesn't affect her intelligence as you can see how professionally she speaks and the amount of knowledge of climate change she has, which is a very serious issue so instead of making a mockery out of her try and think about how this kinda thing is related to the signs leading towards the day of judgement. it doesn't matter if shes a kid what matters is that people are actually raising awareness about this issue so enough with your stupid meaningless posts

58 minutes ago, Reza said:

She never claimed this. Everytime she speaks, she says defer to the scientists, not to her. 
Not sure why you’re so triggered, and with all due respect, the effects of climate change will hit the new generations the hardest, long after you’re gone, so not sure what your productive aim is here.

Do you still listen to Rush Limbaugh?

Salam brother,

I watched what portion of her presentation was broadcast, and know she said she's repeating what 'scientists' say.

"triggered" -because l was labeled a verbal child abuser because l do not listen to kids or let them do my thinking for me. Also, this "poster child" stuff does have its limits.

I dismiss 'climate change' as 'Climate Fraud', and future effects will be by pollution and not climate.

I still listen to Limbaugh when the NPR gets into their 'whiny liberal' routines. Or like yesterday -l wasted an hour because he spent that time talking about the EIB store- when l am curious. I will do so again in a few minutes after Dhuher, inshallah.

OBTW: Thanks for your work and worry over ShiaChat.

8 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

who the hell do you even think you are. so if someone suffers from a disability, they're not worth listening to

Actually, l addressed her being a teenager, not her Aspbergers. And l never indicated she was somekind of 'trash'. Only truant.

As a footnote, about 35 years ago for years, l was a private tutor from the public school system for a severely brained injured young man. He was violent and had hospitalized his previous tutor. l got him through his passing the G.E.D.

2 hours ago, notme said:

This is an old video. I don't know the date.

What the children and young adults think or know is actually much more important than what their elders know. The elders' time in this life isn't so much. The children are the ones who will have to live with the consequences. It has always been this way.

Thank you. It's good to watch this again. The video was recorded in 1992. "The girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes" is Severn Suzuki, who spoke at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED). 

@hameedeh thank you. I had it in my YouTube "favorites". As rarely as I watch videos, this is one I don't mind watching again and again.

One positive thing since this video was made: due to changes in laws, the hole in the ozone layer has been reduced significantly.

Never stop speaking up for what is right, no matter who or how old you are.

In addition to my off-hand quip about inappropriate use of a 'poster child', Greta being used by somebody reminds me of fascist and communist propaganda, both of which used a child's future as a political weapon.

To wit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8s04lcsl4 

I was thinking of this often throughout this thread, and finally l looked for it.

@Hameedeh and @notme and others.

^^^^Because of the video. A 13 year-old? Come-on. :(

6 minutes ago, Reza said:

What are your scientific credentials (or the sources you use)?

Very Short: minored in physics and chemistry per degree; other science, two patents awarded so far; and some other stuff.

Usually brother, l cite my refutations or show my calculation (last one l remember was the 'Greenland lost 11 trillion tons of ice in a single day' hype, which as l showed, would cover my county with 1.3 inches of rain).