Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Shia Muslimah

Personal Experience Speech

Rate this topic

Salaam Alikum,

For my speech class, we have to speak about an event, or series of events that have influenced us and changed our lives making us know who we are and what we want to be. 

I, as a Shia Convert did not think of anything except how my Islamic school (Shia) influenced me and opened my eyes to loving the Ahlul Bayt.

Do you think it would it be okay to speak about this in my speech. I was going to focus on the misconceptions I had about Shia Muslims from the internet/media, and then also how it made me realize is important to understand different cultures/belief groups and hear their view point. Also, on how it made me a more moral, and have better character through the teachings of the Ahlul Bayt. 

Do you think I should talk about this topic in class? I don’t want it to seem like I am puting other believes on the spot (especially other Muslims). don’t want to focus on Shia-"Sunni" conflicts. Any advice or suggestions that I can talk about? 

Do you think choosing this topic would be good?

Hello @Shia Muslimah,

I think what you're planning to do is good and requires bravery. You should try and talk about all of your beliefs in such a way that all the listeners take away positives and do not take away any negatives, especially in the context of religion/sectarianism etc.

It will not be easy at all because when you will speak to the audience, every person will their own way of assessing and judging the information you give them.

It would be wise to get an idea of what your audience will be like, cater your talk towards them accordingly and always leave time in the end for questions so that you have the opportunity to clear up any misconceptions/misunderstandings that people may have picked up from your talk.

Regards,

Khudi