Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AkhiraisReal

Do you give money to street beggars?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

In the west specially in Europe there are many beggars outside convenience stores. Many of them are refugees with no citizenship.

I have seen many young ones from 15+ both men and women, and also many old ones above 70+. It makes me very sad to see them day after day for several hours just sitting and begging for money. At the end of the day most of them only get some few pennies. It makes me really sad, sometimes when I look at them, they look very sad and depressed.

Now what can I do? Many times I have considered to give them like 1$ or at max 10$, but I change my mind because what's my 1$ going to do? or even the 10$....

Besides I will see him/her the next day on the same spot begging for money, shall I give them everyday and go poor myself.

Many of the beggars are also in debt to the smugglers that brought them here, many rumors are saying that the money they get all goes back to the smugglers, like a criminal organization.

It makes me very sad.

What do you brothers and sisters do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salaam $1 is not small amount if 100 people give $1 it will be $100.. also you don’t have to give every day if you don’t want to especially if you are young or don’t have a job.

I think it is good to buy food if you have time or to donate to homeless care organisations because they may use the money for drugs but money is good too because it know is the intention that counts.

Edited by Ejaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I do. If I've been shopping for food and have it with me, I give packaged food or drink, and so far that's always been appreciated.

It is especially troubling to me when the beggars are young or are women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do give money, whatever change I have, I give. Usually even if I see them asleep in the streets, ill just leave my food or juice there.

Regardless of whether they were smugglers or not, theyre still human. And no one knows for sure if they are or not, maybe they were kicked out, maybe they have a story, you never know.

So honestly, whenever I think about this, I just think im doing this fee sabeel Allah. Its their choice what they do with the money, either use for good to benefit themselves or do bad and if thats the case, then they lost a chance and theres a punishment for that. I doubt many use it for bad, I once met an old man in the streets at the city with my brother, and we managed to open up a support application for him to the government, and now he gets support. checked up on him a week later, and he managed to get a room to sleep in. He was very appreciative and went on to make good choices. 

 

Edited by Ruqaya101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AkhiraisReal said:

go to prostitution during nights

And how do you know this for sure? Is there a link or statistic you can show me where it says this, thats conflicting since women get LOTS of money from prositution...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

 

Regardless of whether they were smugglers or not, theyre still human

 

What I meant was not that they are smugglers. The have been smuggled into Europe themselves by various organisations some of which are criminal ones.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AkhiraisReal said:

What I meant was not that they are smugglers. The have been smuggled into Europe themselves by various organisations some of which are criminal ones.

And they obviously ended up in a tight spot, and are dealing with the consequences... We should still help out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

And how do you know this for sure? Is there a link or statistic you can show me where it says this, thats conflicting since women get LOTS of money from prositution...

Not these women, the don't keep much for themselves. Since they have to pay their criminal smugglers that brought them here.

You can see them during the nights.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AkhiraisReal said:

Not these women, the don't keep much for themselves. Since they have to pay their criminal smugglers that brought them here.

That doesnt make sense and doesnt fit with the criminal system?... How does the criminal law system not do anything about that.

Also, you never know for sure what their story is... I understand what youre trying to say but we shouldnt generalise that just because theres rumours that most poor women beggars are prostitutes. Because we could not know for sure, you just do what you can to give them a choice.

I don’t know, thats just my 2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't, as I've said on here before the vast majority of street beggars in my city are addicts and their money goes on their addiction.

There are hostels and shelters they go to, they are provided food, drinks both hot and cold and clothes, most with be on PIP benefits due to disability (mental or physical) and they get roughly £400+ a month. They usually have people who help with budgeting. Where does all that money go? If I had a spare £400 a month I wouldn't be homeless.

I have given food in the past, I personally believe food, drink and warm blankets or sleeping bags to be the best thing to give.

Edited by aaaz1618

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

That doesnt make sense and doesnt fit with the criminal system?... How does the criminal law system not do anything about that.

Also, you never know for sure what their story is... I understand what youre trying to say but we shouldnt generalise that just because theres rumours that most poor women beggars are prostitutes. Because we could not know for sure, you just do what you can to give them a choice.

I don’t know, thats just my 2 cents

They have no citinzenship and their family is hungry at home country. They either get sent back home or continue with begging and or prostitution.

The criminal law system don't care much about non citizenship people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AkhiraisReal said:

sister it's the same in every country

No it isn't. Countries in the west do care about people with no citizenship and have been smuggled to their country, because its illegal. They will probably be sent to camps or sent back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ruqaya101 said:

No it isn't. Countries in the west do care about people with no citizenship and have been smuggled to their country, because its illegal. They will probably be sent to camps or sent back.

Then you have no idea. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it isn't happening. Criminal networks run all kinds of brothel and prostitution rings. Either in Secret or in public, some get caught others don't. But their Business continues on daily basis.

But we are going off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AkhiraisReal said:

Then you have no idea.

And thats my point, you have no idea either. You don’t know someones story 100% whether they are or not, you don’t know for sure. You can help at the end of the day for the sake of Allah, or you can leave them like that.

What about children, mothers with children, lets say the mothers were prostitutes, the money could still go to helping the child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ruqaya101 said:

And thats my point, you have no idea either. You don’t know someones story 100% whether they are or not, you don’t know for sure. You can help at the end of the day for the sake of Allah, or you can leave them like that.

What about children, mothers with children, lets say the mothers were prostitutes, the money could still go to helping the child.

I don't understand what your point is. I didn't say don't give money to prostitutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we do have (London) quite a few professionals from Eastern Europe. And it's not tax deductible, so there's that.

Edited by Haji 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

There are a few beggars here. I often give them money specially when they directly come to me and ask me to help them. But I prefer to give the money to charities.

Correct me if I am wrong. But isn't money donated to charities first deducted to taxes.

Edited by AkhiraisReal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AkhiraisReal said:

But isn't money donated to charities first deducted to taxes.

There are 2 issues here. Yes it is tax deductible, and if you are giving to Islamic charities it can really benefit them. However larger charities that have these systems in place may be spending a disproportionate amount on admin.

I think there is something to be said for getting close to the charities you are helping. I remember making contributions to the LSE as an alumnus and then one day I went there and saw that students were sitting on Herman Miller chairs :shock:

These cost several hundred pounds/dollars each. I stopped the regular payments.

Edited by Haji 2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam ,I had this same issue about giving money to beggars or homeless people asking for money here in Canada  ,we have these white people specially young white people and some old ones asking for money standing on  highway exits I never give them money because you can tell their drug addicts but still I feel like giving them some  money to help them but then I think if I give them money then would that be like me helping them buying drugs for themselves?like that’ll be wasting of my money on bad purpose ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my country begging is an organized and syndicated sort of operations ;well, atleast most of it. 

Giving them charity will be helping their ring master who has coerced them into begging in the first place. There are beggers who are on the streets with their free will and because of their property, but they are in minority. 

To answer your question, I do but only when the beggar is an elderly person or he /she mentions the name of any of the Masoomeen  AS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 7:06 AM, AkhiraisReal said:

In the west specially in Europe there are many beggars outside convenience stores. Many of them are refugees with no citizenship.

I have seen many young ones from 15+ both men and women, and also many old ones above 70+. It makes me very sad to see them day after day for several hours just sitting and begging for money. At the end of the day most of them only get some few pennies. It makes me really sad, sometimes when I look at them, they look very sad and depressed.

Now what can I do? Many times I have considered to give them like 1$ or at max 10$, but I change my mind because what's my 1$ going to do? or even the 10$....

Besides I will see him/her the next day on the same spot begging for money, shall I give them everyday and go poor myself.

Many of the beggars are also in debt to the smugglers that brought them here, many rumors are saying that the money they get all goes back to the smugglers, like a criminal organization.

It makes me very sad.

What do you brothers and sisters do

I never give money, made that mistake once, turned out that the man was a panhandler and was faking it. Even though it was only two dollars, I felt violated and taken advantage of.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quran313 said:

No, I do not. I give money to people who has financial problems in Iran. I want to support the only Shia country :)

TaqabbalAllah. 

Iran generally has a pretty good welfare system, and it is highly unlikely that you have Shias there under extreme poverty "faqr", not masakeen who are in plenty. 

IF there are no Muslims in need in your area or an area you can access, then by all means send your charity to Iran. But remember that your duty is always to the ones "in greater need", some of whom are potential Shias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

TaqabbalAllah. 

Iran generally has a pretty good welfare system, and it is highly unlikely that you have Shias there under extreme poverty "faqr", not masakeen who are in plenty. 

IF there are no Muslims in need in your area or an area you can access, then by all means send your charity to Iran. But remember that your duty is always to the ones "in greater need", some of whom are potential Shias.

Theres economy problems currently in Iran. IShia community should consider sending charity to Iran and take it serious. Travel to Iran and see it yourself. Im involved so I know. There was s gurl who didnt have $100 to do surgery, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...