Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
just_passing_by

Salat: Qasr or Full?

Rate this topic

Salam alikum,

I have got into a unique situation which has got me confused. So I am starting work in few days that requires me to be in state X for 7 days and then the next 7 days I come back to state Y that I am in right now. I have stayed in state Y for past 5 years due to family and work situation but since my work requires me to be going to state X I got an apartment there as well as kept my original apartment in state Y. I travel with family. So will my salat be qasr in state X or should I be praying full. I have asked this from few scholars and got conflicting answers. I follow Aya Khamanei

thank you 

:bismillah:

Most relevant questions & answers of your query from Rahbar Khamaneis website.

Q: My work place is at 620 km. from my hometown and I stay there 5 days [per week]. Shall I pray in full or shortened prayers? What about fasting? How can I perform them on the way?
A: You must pray full normal prayer and your fasting is correct at work place and hometown and on the way.

Q: When is a person considered a frequent traveler? And if such a term applies to him, should he pray in full and fast wherever he goes? Or is this ruling confined to his work place?
A: That who travels much has not a special rule, but praying in full and fasting during traveling applies on a person whose work is traveling like a driver, a pilot, a sailor, etc. or whose work requires traveling like an employee or a worker who should cover a shar‘ī distance to work there. These persons should pray in full and fast in the residential place, in the destination and on the way.

Q 681: I live six months in one city during the year, and six months in another which is my birthplace as well as my place of residence and that of my family. However, my stay in the first city is not continuous, but intermittent. For example, I stay there for two weeks, ten days, or less, and then return to my birthplace where my family resides. My question is: Does the rule of a traveler apply to me if I intend to stay in the first city for less than ten days?
A: If you live there for a period of time so that you are not considered –according to common view - as a traveler there, your prayer there is full and your fast is valid.

Q 685: Someone has two watans. Therefore, he performs full prayer in both places and fasts. Please answer this question: Do his dependants, I.e. wife and children, have to follow their guardian in this matter, or may they act independently on their own?
A: It is permissible for the wife not to adopt the new watan of her husband as her own, but as for the children, if they are minors and dependent in making decisions and in earning money, or they are subject to their father’s decision with respect to this matter, the new watan of their father will be considered their watan as well.

Q 687: Someone has been living in Tehran for several years, but he has not taken it as a second watan. What will be the rule of his prayer and fasting in this city when he leaves Tehran, travels more or less than the shar‘ī distance and returns?
A: In the given case that he is not considered as a traveler as per common view, he should make full prayers and fast there.

Q: In your opinion what is the criterion for a shar‘ī watan to be materialized?
A: Watan is not categorized as shar‘ī and non-shar‘ī. Watan, in general, is the one known by the common view but it is divided into two types: a) the original watan, in which one born and grows for 5-6 years or more and, b) the chosen watan, which is the place that a person chooses as one’s watan. For the rules of watan to be applied to it, one should live in it for a period enough to be considered in the common view as one of its citizen.

Q: Would you mind explaining in detail the rules of the original and adopted watans.
A: Generally speaking, the place in which a person was born and grew up is considered as their watan (hometown) and will remain like that unless they totally abandon living in it. Similarly, a person who goes to a place other than their original watan, has the intention to live there for ever even for a part of year each year and lives there while having such an intention for a period so that the laity consider that place as their watan, that place is counted as their watan. The same ruling applies if that person stays at that place for a period so that the laity recognizes the place as their hometown even though their staying is not accompanied the abovementioned intention. Also, if an individual has the intention to stay at a place for seven to eight years for living purposes, that place will be considered as their adopted watan.

For further FAQs please visit the site-

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/28/Newly-Asked-Questions

3 hours ago, starlight said:

Which is home? X or Y?

Home is Y, new place is X.

~ "since my work requires me to be going to state X I got an apartment there as well as kept my original apartment in state Y."

1 hour ago, nil said:

:bismillah:

Most relevant questions & answers of your query from Rahbar Khamaneis website.

Q: My work place is at 620 km. from my hometown and I stay there 5 days [per week]. Shall I pray in full or shortened prayers? What about fasting? How can I perform them on the way?
A: You must pray full normal prayer and your fasting is correct at work place and hometown and on the way.

Q: When is a person considered a frequent traveler? And if such a term applies to him, should he pray in full and fast wherever he goes? Or is this ruling confined to his work place?
A: That who travels much has not a special rule, but praying in full and fasting during traveling applies on a person whose work is traveling like a driver, a pilot, a sailor, etc. or whose work requires traveling like an employee or a worker who should cover a shar‘ī distance to work there. These persons should pray in full and fast in the residential place, in the destination and on the way.

Q 681: I live six months in one city during the year, and six months in another which is my birthplace as well as my place of residence and that of my family. However, my stay in the first city is not continuous, but intermittent. For example, I stay there for two weeks, ten days, or less, and then return to my birthplace where my family resides. My question is: Does the rule of a traveler apply to me if I intend to stay in the first city for less than ten days?
A: If you live there for a period of time so that you are not considered –according to common view - as a traveler there, your prayer there is full and your fast is valid.

Q 685: Someone has two watans. Therefore, he performs full prayer in both places and fasts. Please answer this question: Do his dependants, I.e. wife and children, have to follow their guardian in this matter, or may they act independently on their own?
A: It is permissible for the wife not to adopt the new watan of her husband as her own, but as for the children, if they are minors and dependent in making decisions and in earning money, or they are subject to their father’s decision with respect to this matter, the new watan of their father will be considered their watan as well.

Q 687: Someone has been living in Tehran for several years, but he has not taken it as a second watan. What will be the rule of his prayer and fasting in this city when he leaves Tehran, travels more or less than the shar‘ī distance and returns?
A: In the given case that he is not considered as a traveler as per common view, he should make full prayers and fast there.

Q: In your opinion what is the criterion for a shar‘ī watan to be materialized?
A: Watan is not categorized as shar‘ī and non-shar‘ī. Watan, in general, is the one known by the common view but it is divided into two types: a) the original watan, in which one born and grows for 5-6 years or more and, b) the chosen watan, which is the place that a person chooses as one’s watan. For the rules of watan to be applied to it, one should live in it for a period enough to be considered in the common view as one of its citizen.

Q: Would you mind explaining in detail the rules of the original and adopted watans.
A: Generally speaking, the place in which a person was born and grew up is considered as their watan (hometown) and will remain like that unless they totally abandon living in it. Similarly, a person who goes to a place other than their original watan, has the intention to live there for ever even for a part of year each year and lives there while having such an intention for a period so that the laity consider that place as their watan, that place is counted as their watan. The same ruling applies if that person stays at that place for a period so that the laity recognizes the place as their hometown even though their staying is not accompanied the abovementioned intention. Also, if an individual has the intention to stay at a place for seven to eight years for living purposes, that place will be considered as their adopted watan.

For further FAQs please visit the site-

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/28/Newly-Asked-Questions

Thank you so much. That helps. Appreciate all responses.