Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Salam,

Since a thread on plastic pollution was started, I think we need to also look into the pollution caused by sewage etc. Which can harm the environment and even deteriorate our health. You'd be surprised but a lot of sewage is dumped into the sea every year! 

Obviously now you do  have wastewater treatment plants, and they're good because you're recycling dirty water, and in some parts of Europe they directly drink treated wastewater (well not that common in Australia).

The thing is that we have a role to play to! Flushing down baby wipes, rags, face wash etc. Can create a lot of problems at wastewater treatment plants. As a society we hardly look into these issues, maybe because of the social stigma?

What are your opinions? Have you ever thought about how what you flush down the toilet can cause major problem at treatment plants and even potentially cause pollution?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

20 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Flushing down

The films l posted last night (Sat,21Sept19) in Plastic Pollution thread one of the threads said the only thing you should flush is toilet paper.

The film showed these plastic objects and packaging not only clogging up the sewers, but also not decaying.

EDIT: listening to TV while typing got me distracted.

I want to add is that Waste-Treatment is how a city is built --unless you want disease, epidemics and smells all the time. That is why it is the most important function in a city.

Edited by hasanhh

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

What are your opinions?

Get back to nature. There is no solution for entropy caused by human activities except to limit & direct those activities.

Every effluent treatment produces a new type of waste. Its never ending job. Better thing is to get back to nature.

I'm very careful not to flush things, but what does down the plug hole isn't great. I admit I have used skin products that contain these microbeads, I admit to pouring medication down the plug hole, then there's the shampoos, bodywashes, conditioners that we're all guilty of.

It's sad that the purest of things we cannot keep pure. Some of the water pollution in countries like China and India is shocking.

1 minute ago, aaaz1618 said:

then there's the shampoos, bodywashes, conditioners that we're all guilty of.

Ohh body washes and shampoos are pretty bad lol, probably one of the most frustrating products which will make the wastewater treatment process pretty difficult.

4 hours ago, Cool said:

Get back to nature.

Not possible!

Wastewater treatment facilities only treat for expected pollutants. It's easy to remove the common biological wastes, soap, food residues. Do not put medications or chemicals into the municipal sewer or your septic drain field, and do not attempt to flush "flushable" moist towelettes. Avoid using shampoos or body washes which contain "exfoliating" plastic particles.

The old adage used to be "dilution is the solution to pollution", but that doesn't work anymore, with most of humanity concentrated into cities and waste products more complex than ever.

Encourage your friends and family to pay attention to what they contribute to the wastewater stream and use sensible, less damaging personal care and household cleaning products. That's really the best an individual can do.

18 minutes ago, notme said:

Wastewater treatment facilities only treat for expected pollutants. It's easy to remove the common biological wastes, soap, food residues.

Most of the wastewater treatment plants are either sequencing batch reactors or either activated sludge systems or dissolved air floatation. All of them uses coagulation/flocculation process along with aeration and they produce sludge which sometimes even contain huge load of bacterial population. This excess sludge further needs treatment (thickening/ & sometimes sterilization)  then dumped into land filling sites.

So every treatment option gives us a new type of waste and we then look at it and think how to handle & treat them.

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Ohh body washes and shampoos are pretty bad lol, probably one of the most frustrating products which will make the wastewater treatment process pretty difficult.

I just thought about those...

91EOmcSh44L._SY355_.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cool said:

So every treatment option gives us a new type of waste and we then look at it and think how to handle & treat them.

This is true. Earth is a closed system for all practical purposes. Nothing new comes in, nothing old goes out, and that's a good thing if we don't wreck it. If we could properly manage our waste, it would be impossible to run out of resources.

In a town where I used to live, the sanitized wastewater sludge was given to local farmers to use as fertilizer. I think that's a better use of it than incineration or landfilling, but more sensitive to untreated pollutants such as medications and chemicals.

1 hour ago, notme said:

In a town where I used to live, the sanitized wastewater sludge was given to local farmers to use as fertilizer. I think that's a better use of it than incineration or landfilling, but more sensitive to untreated pollutants such as medications and chemicals.

This is the most dangerous practice we are doing at the moment. I strongly oppose the use of sanitized sludge in agriculture because of the risks its poses to human population. The reason of that risk is our ignorance and unawareness of the diversity of viruses/pathogens. 

Perhaps after few years, we will realize that what harms that sludge has caused to humans directly or indirectly (I.e., via corps).