In the Name of God بسم الله

I did kaffara

Rate this topic

Diaz

• Advanced Member

I don’t want to talk about it, I just want to say that I did it without knowing. I promised to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that if I broke my promise, I will donate $490 to charity, but then when I checked my wallet, I found that I have only $0.80. What should I do? Should I fast for 60 days? Or should I feed 60 people? 

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Diaz said:

I will donate $490 to charity, but then when I checked my wallet, I found that I have only $0.80. What should I do? Should I fast for 60 days? Or should I feed 60 people? 

Add another option "Or should I do istighfar". 

First of all, you need to talk to any Sheikh (Scholar) who will listen to the whole story and evaluate the nature of you oath/promise. It is necessary because of the following verse:

[Shakir 2:225] Allah does not call you to account for what is vain in your oaths, but He will call you to account for what your hearts have earned, and Allah is Forgiving, Forbearing.
[Pickthal 2:225] Allah will not take you to task for that which is unintentional in your oaths. But He will take you to task for that which your hearts have garnered. Allah is Forgiving, Clement.
[Yusufali 2:225] Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts; and He is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.

Secondly, all your situation depends on your existing condition which is not hidden from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). He knows whether you have money somewhere or not, He knows whether you are capable of fasting for 60 days or not, and that whether you have sufficient funds to feed 60 people or not. 

If you are "ma'zoor" (incapable) in all of the above cases, you can do istighfar with full sincerity. If you have resources, best thing is to do what you have promised I.e., donate $490 to charity. 

Wallaho A'lam

• Advanced Member

I cannot give specific advice, but just general advice.... 

Imam Ja’far Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said,

“There is no man who Allah did not forgive who had felt ashamed of his misdeed. Whenever a man feels ashamed of his fault and then begs pardon of Allah He forgives all of his sins.”

Amir ul-Mu’minīn ((عليه السلام).) says,

"It cannot so happen that a man has really felt ashamed and yet he did not give up sins.

When a man repents over his misdeeds it is necessary that he should make the utmost effort to keep himself away from sins. If the sin is about non-performance of duties like Salāt (daily prayers), Siyyam (Ramzan fasting), Zakat (poor tax) and Hajj pilgrimage, then, after expressing repentance he should perform Qaža (repeat to make good) of those duties. If the sin was regarding rights of people, like usurping someone’s property or money, then he should return it immediately to the owner, and if the owner is not alive then to his heirs."

17 hours ago, Diaz said:

I just want to say that I did it without knowing.

If you did something unintentionally then maybe you don't have to do anything at all... 

But like I said brother, I don't know about your situation and I respect the fact that you don't want to talk about it...

Lastly bear in mind that if the above hadith do not apply to your situation then please don't take offence... 

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, nil said:

Or you can donate few days later when you will have money in your hands, probably after getting your salary on next month?

I’m jobless. 

16 hours ago, Logic1234 said:

Add another option "Or should I do istighfar". 

First of all, you need to talk to any Sheikh (Scholar) who will listen to the whole story and evaluate the nature of you oath/promise. It is necessary because of the following verse:

Secondly, all your situation depends on your existing condition which is not hidden from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). He knows whether you have money somewhere or not, He knows whether you are capable of fasting for 60 days or not, and that whether you have sufficient funds to feed 60 people or not. 

If you are "ma'zoor" (incapable) in all of the above cases, you can do istighfar with full sincerity. If you have resources, best thing is to do what you have promised I.e., donate $490 to charity. 

Wallaho A'lam

Thank you, I will read more about it first. 

15 hours ago, Ali~J said:

I cannot give specific advice, but just general advice.... 

Imam Ja’far Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said,

“There is no man who Allah did not forgive who had felt ashamed of his misdeed. Whenever a man feels ashamed of his fault and then begs pardon of Allah He forgives all of his sins.”

Amir ul-Mu’minīn ((عليه السلام).) says,

"It cannot so happen that a man has really felt ashamed and yet he did not give up sins.

When a man repents over his misdeeds it is necessary that he should make the utmost effort to keep himself away from sins. If the sin is about non-performance of duties like Salāt (daily prayers), Siyyam (Ramzan fasting), Zakat (poor tax) and Hajj pilgrimage, then, after expressing repentance he should perform Qaža (repeat to make good) of those duties. If the sin was regarding rights of people, like usurping someone’s property or money, then he should return it immediately to the owner, and if the owner is not alive then to his heirs."

If you did something unintentionally then maybe you don't have to do anything at all... 

But like I said brother, I don't know about your situation and I respect the fact that you don't want to talk about it...

Lastly bear in mind that if the above hadith do not apply to your situation then please don't take offence... 

Thank you brother, it’s ok I’m not offended.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Diaz said:

I don’t want to talk about it, I just want to say that I did it without knowing. I promised to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that if I broke my promise, I will donate $490 to charity, but then when I checked my wallet, I found that I have only $0.80. What should I do? Should I fast for 60 days? Or should I feed 60 people? 

First of all, you should not have vowed something which you cannot fulfill. Secondly, if you broke your oath then feed 60 people counting them one by one on different occasions. I think there is no condition for feeding them together or separately. You can do it I believe.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Jibrael-e-Muhammadi said:

First of all, you should not have vowed something which you cannot fulfill. Secondly, if you broke your oath then feed 60 people counting them one by one on different occasions. I think there is no condition for feeding them together or separately. You can do it I believe.

I thought I can fulfill it, but I couldn’t. Should they be poor people or anyone?

Edited by Diaz

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Jibrael-e-Muhammadi said:

Poor brother, those who cannot afford a good meal 

Oh, so like the cleaners who are cleaning the street? Since they I guess are the only people who cannot afford a proper meal. There is no poor people in the place where I live.

Edited by Diaz

• Advanced Member
On 9/21/2019 at 7:34 AM, Diaz said:

Oh, so like the cleaners who are cleaning the street? Since they I guess are the only people who cannot afford a proper meal. There is no poor people in the place where I live.

Then perhaps you should save money for 60 people's meal slowly and gradually and then donate it to a credible charity organization with the condition to spend it for the feeding 60 Orphans or widows. There are a lot of Charity organizations taking money for orphans and destitute. 

• Advanced Member

Update, I asked this question to Sayyed Muhammad Al musawi, he should do estighfar as much possible as I can. The link is below if anyone is interested. Again, thanks guys for the information. 

https://www.al-Islam.org/ask/what-should-we-do-if-we-did-an-act-that-has-kaffara-and-cannot-fast-for-60-days-nor-have-any-slaves-to-free-and-neither-have-the-capacity-to-feed-60-people

Edit:- I am slowly donating a few dollars when I have some money, so inshallah it will reach till $490.

Edited by Diaz