Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
rajul

General questions from someone curious

Rate this topic

so, I am just reading up on Shia Islam in general. I am already Muslim, converted 12 years ago. I guess you could say I am Sunni, although I guess I have certain beliefs that aren't necessarily orthodox. anyway, I wouldn't say I want to become Shia, just was just wondering.

1. I know why Shia combine, I will do some from time to time myself if e.g. I have an injury. is seems that this is normative practice in Shia communities. why? are there any jamats or whatever that pray each salat in its time?

2. im not convinced that the 12th Imam ever existed. is there any historical proof for this?

3. are there any speakers that would be worthwhile? I know this nakshawani guy is popular, but he honestly comes across as way to pompous and it throws me off from getting anything from it.

4. are there any good tafsirs I can take a look at?

On 9/19/2019 at 2:36 AM, rajul said:

1. I know why Shia combine, I will do some from time to time myself if e.g. I have an injury. is seems that this is normative practice in Shia communities. why? are there any jamats or whatever that pray each salat in its time?

I do not know of any jamaats or mosques that pray the 5 prayers spaced out, perhaps because of the element of congregational prayers being made as easy as possible (short surahs, minimal taaqibaat etc so that the elderly, sick, employed etc are not inconvenienced).

2. im not convinced that the 12th Imam ever existed. is there any historical proof for this?

Shia or Sunni sources?

3. are there any speakers that would be worthwhile? I know this nakshawani guy is popular, but he honestly comes across as way to pompous and it throws me off from getting anything from it.

Depends on the language you prefer, and the type of content. I enjoy listening to Agha Panahian (available here with English subs). I also find Bahmanpour and Khalil Jaffer interesting to listen to. 

4. are there any good tafsirs I can take a look at?

Are you familiar with Tafsir al Mizan? Available here though if you are fluent at Arabic, you would be better off getting the entire work.

Agha Mahdi Pooya is also good one. Its available on al Islam then you check the Agha Pooya check box. I would however recommend ordering the hard copy.

hope that helps. ws.

Here's my take, some of this info may be correct and some may need correcting:

1.) Shi'a Muslims have five prayers but the designated times they pray are three. So fajr is prayed by itself, zuhr will be prayed just before asr starts and then once zuhr finishes asr is prayed, same with maghreb and isha if I am not mistaken. Why? I believe that is what we have actually been told to do, the Qur'an mentions the prayer at dawn (fajr), the middle prayer (wusta) and the night prayer (Isha), that's three designated times we are told to observe and guard prayer, not five separately and Muslims would in the early times of Islam attend a small mosque to pray, so the designated times would be three but the specific prayers were five. These are the times Shi'a Muslims pray, at dawn, in the middle for zuhr and asr and at night for maghreb and Isha.

2.) The historicity of the 12th Imam has been debated, aside from hadiths, no I don't know of any written reports by non-Islamically inclined audiences at the time, would be good to see some though. My gut feeling is he did exist but without other sources his status is down to belief in what the hadiths say.

3.) His lectures are good, but like most, he does have a particular style on the mimbar/seat. He has a show on Imam Hussain TV on a Friday I think, that's better. There's another one I like, I think he's a Sayyid from the U.S., could even be from Dearborn, forget his name but he's knowledgeable without being pompous. Should know his name, he's a famous one.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:40 AM, habib e najjaar said:

I do not know of any jamaats or mosques that pray the 5 prayers spaced out, perhaps because of the element of congregational prayers being made as easy as possible (short surahs, minimal taaqibaat etc so that the elderly, sick, employed etc are not inconvenienced).

Not even at the Imam Husayn ra shrine?

Shia or Sunni sources?

Doesn't matter. Anything that has any level of authenticity. Neutral I guess would be preferred.

Depends on the language you prefer, and the type of content. I enjoy listening to Agha Panahian (available here with English subs). I also find Bahmanpour and Khalil Jaffer interesting to listen to. 

Anything English or Spanish would work.  Nothing overly scholastic, although I get into that from time to time. At an iman low right now, so that would be good too.

Are you familiar with Tafsir al Mizan? Available here though if you are fluent at Arabic, you would be better off getting the entire work.

Agha Mahdi Pooya is also good one. Its available on al Islam then you check the Agha Pooya check box. I would however recommend ordering the hard copy.

I am not. I can read Arabic and understand a good portion of it, but cannot write or speak it.

hope that helps. ws.

wswrwb

11 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Here's my take, some of this info may be correct and some may need correcting:

1.) Shi'a Muslims have five prayers but the designated times they pray are three. So fajr is prayed by itself, zuhr will be prayed just before asr starts and then once zuhr finishes asr is prayed, same with maghreb and isha if I am not mistaken. Why? I believe that is what we have actually been told to do, the Qur'an mentions the prayer at dawn (fajr), the middle prayer (wusta) and the night prayer (Isha), that's three designated times we are told to observe and guard prayer, not five separately and Muslims would in the early times of Islam attend a small mosque to pray, so the designated times would be three but the specific prayers were five. These are the times Shi'a Muslims pray, at dawn, in the middle for zuhr and asr and at night for maghreb and Isha.

My thought is that, we know Muhammad saw in large portions of his his life by separating them by their times. I would think that it would be good to at least do this once, especially in places dedicated to the religion. Not trying to be all saaaalaaafeeeee on it though, so don't take anything the wrong way.

My wife and I, at times, would get caught up in things and combine. I feel it led to a definite drop in iman and structure when doing so.

2.) The historicity of the 12th Imam has been debated, aside from hadiths, no I don't know of any written reports by non-Islamically inclined audiences at the time, would be good to see some though. My gut feeling is he did exist but without other sources his status is down to belief in what the hadiths say.

You see, I understand that a certain level of faith goes into this. Like, you have to have faith that Muhammad saw was a Prophet. You have to have faith that the Qur'an is the word of Allah azj, that Jesus will come back. In some certain circles in Sunni academia, faith that the Mahdi will come. I am not certain this is the case, but if I am wrong then I am wrong.

3.) His lectures are good, but like most, he does have a particular style on the mimbar/seat. He has a show on Imam Hussain TV on a Friday I think, that's better. There's another one I like, I think he's a Sayyid from the U.S., could even be from Dearborn, forget his name but he's knowledgeable without being pompous. Should know his name, he's a famous one.

If you do find out, message me. I do like the writings of Baqr as-Sadr ra and hold Sayid Fadlullah ra and Sayid Nasrullah in high regard. It would be nice to have something in English though. I have been to Shia masjids a few times but, honestly, I get nothing from it. Sunni masjids you can generally find dars and whatnot, I see a bunch of Urdu poetry at Shia masjids and I think "why bother"? Even if I did understand it, I didn't come to a naat session.

Edited by rajul

8 hours ago, rajul said:

that Jesus will come back. In some certain circles in Sunni academia, faith that the Mahdi will come.

Jesus' return isn't detrimental to belief, but yes, I think 99% of Muslims hold this belief as central, even though it only comes from hadiths. The imminent saviour and retribution of man thanks to Jesus and the Mahdi is something most Muslims grasp on to as a source of hope in a time of despair. The majority of Sunnis are unanimous in the belief Imam Mahdi will arrive, their difference in belief of course is they don't believe he hears us now or that he has been on this Earth.

I appreciate you telling us your background, to be fair we share quite a bit in common, marriage background, we both have a child with additional needs and although I was initially brought into the Hanafi school of thought I later looked into the Maliki school. I do relate to the Mutazilite perspective as well, never knew it went as far as Andalusia, but I haven't look into the history. I don't associate with one specific sect entirely because I can't follow a sect wholeheartedly if I see things I don't feel are true.

Just like you I am willing to take advice from anyone other than a wahhabi. Wahhabis don't like me anyway, but them again who or what do they like anyway? 

The few scholars names I know of are Sheikh Nuru Muhammad, Sheikh Mahdi Al-Modarassi and there are a few from the Al-Qazwini family too, I'm assuming they are all related anyway. These are all quite well known scholars and their videos are on YouTube. I haven't seen much of Dr.. Rebecca Masterton's work, but maybe see what she's like too.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, rajul said:

Not even at the Imam Husayn ra shrine?

Doesn't matter. Anything that has any level of authenticity. Neutral I guess would be preferred.

Anything English or Spanish would work.  Nothing overly scholastic, although I get into that from time to time. At an iman low right now, so that would be good too.

I am not. I can read Arabic and understand a good portion of it, but cannot write or speak it.

wswrwb

Salam we pray in the Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) shrine like as other Shia mosques 

For beginners guide you can start from Islamicpulse & Ahlul Bayt  Tv channel in YouTube & about sources www.al-Islam.org 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiKWYEgofx7rXpxv_SgFTOQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/ahlulbaytTV

For Spanish language I found this channel recently 

Also for more advanced in English & Arabic I recommend Kanat Eleyoun 

https://www.youtube.com/user/maboussa

Salam brother

Check out this thread where brother @Islamic Salvation has shared some of the most authentic narrations on Imam Mahdi (a.j):

Also check out this collection of authentic narrations published by brother @Qa'im

http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/qiyam

Wsalam

Do you not believe in the concept of the 12th Imam or do you believe in the concept but believe that he is not born yet ?

Also my favorite speaker is Br. Khalil Jaafer. My second favorite is Sheik Hamza Sodogar

I like some speeches by Sayyid Nakshawani

2 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

Do you not believe in the concept of the 12th Imam or do you believe in the concept but believe that he is not born yet ?

There are many aspects of my practice that need correcting, this is something that I literally never think about. When I can't sleep at night worrying about my son, I do not think about the concept of Mahdi; when I struggle to correct bad habits, I do not have time to even consider Mahdi. I just care about Allah عزّ وجلّ, how to please Allah and seek forgiveness and to please him. I read Qur'an to internalize the words of Allah, I read Riyadus Saliheen to get an idea of how the Prophet saw handled tough times and how to invoke to Allah.

Also my favorite speaker is Br. Khalil Jaafer. My second favorite is Sheik Hamza Sodogar

Thank you, I will check them out.

I like some speeches by Sayyid Nakshawani

I actually like some of the content of his work. I just cannot stand the way he speaks. I come from an academic background, getting my doctorate currently. He is what a somewhat educated person thinks that a genius sounds like.

Edited by rajul

6 hours ago, The Straight Path said:

Salam brother

Check out this thread where brother @Islamic Salvation has shared some of the most authentic narrations on Imam Mahdi (a.j):

Also check out this collection of authentic narrations published by brother @Qa'im

http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/qiyam

Wsalam

ws will do, thank you kindly

6 hours ago, rajul said:

There are many aspects of my practice that need correcting, this is something that I literally never think about. When I can't sleep at night worrying about my son, I do not think about the concept of Mahdi; when I struggle to correct bad habits, I do not have time to even consider Mahdi. I just care about Allah عزّ وجلّ, how to please Allah and seek forgiveness and to please him. I read Qur'an to internalize the words of Allah, I read Riyadus Saliheen to get an idea of how the Prophet saw handled tough times and how to invoke to Allah.

Salam from both Sunni & Shia viewpoint Imam Mahdi (aj) is caliph of Allah on Earth , that Sunnis believe that he will born to gain this position but we Shia say that that he already born but is in Occultation & one day will reappear to gain his physical position but from other aspects he is caliph on Allah on Earth that is intervening in our life like as sun behind the clouds that the best way for knowing him is knowing him through Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) & he is living Qur'an as Prophet Muhammad (pbu)and  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) & rest of Imams were living Qur'an that for understanding word of Allah & pleasing him we must ask their help , I also recommend you to read Nahj al-faṣāha to saw " how the Prophet saw handled tough times and how to invoke to Allah." from Shia view too.

https://www.al-Islam.org/nahj-al-fasahah-height-rhetoric

Nahj al-faṣāha (Arabic: نهج الفصاحة), written by Abu l-Qasim Payanda, is a collection of hadith from the Prophet (s) regarding virtues and ethics. It was named after the hadith of the Prophet (s) which says, I am the most fluent Arab.

Subject

This book only includes those hadith of the Prophet (s) which speak about virtues and morals (akhlaq), and avoids hadith regarding other topics such as jurisprudence. In reference to the topic of the book and its accuracy, the author says:

I compiled this collection of the Prophet's (s) sayings through years of studying texts, and spent as much of my life as possible on it - and even with all my attention, if there is any incorrect hadith in it, I would not be worried because I have not related something wrong to the Prophet (s) or quoted any weak saying from others; and also I might be allowed this because this collection is not about [the rulings of] the permissible and the forbidden - it is about the good, virtues and perfections - and leaders of the past have always been easy on the chains of transmitters of such hadith.

Some of the sayings of this collection have at the same time been ascribed to Imam 'Ali (a). About such ambiguity of reference, the author says, "there are many cases when similar sayings and reports related to Imam Ali (a) have been reported from the Prophet (s), which some think is due to transmitters' mistakes; however, the fact is that the spiritual similarity between Muhammad (s) and Ali (a) has made such a result."

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Nahj_al-fasaha_(book)

https://www.al-Islam.org/nahj-al-fasahah-height-rhetoric

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

9 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Are there any instances where the 12th Imam came into contact with non-Muslims, Zoroastrians, Romans etc, and have these encounters been recorded by anyone other than Muslims?

Salam he in contact with everyone even non Muslims  but maybe they mistaken him by Prophet Isa (عليه السلام) & other holy figures

Is the Imam of Time (atf) present at all places even in non-Islamic (Jewish) countries?
question
It is said that the Imam of Time (atf) is present everywhere. Is he present amongst people in non-Islamic countries e.g. a Jewish country? Is he cognizant of those who are engulfed in evil, corruption and promiscuity?
Concise answer
It is not possible from a rational and logical perspective to attain ultimate perfection without divine guidance. God, the Exalted, has sent His proofs to mankind to guide them in the right path in the best possible manner. The Prophets and Imams have been and are able to influence and exercise, with God’s permission, their authority over the entire creatures and to carry out their duties in the most appropriate way. We shall deal with your question in four steps:

1. Purposefulness of Creatures and the Necessity of Their Guidance

Detailed Answer
To answer the above question, the presence of the Imam of Age (atf) and his favor to those who are entitled to it and deserve guidance (though they might be Jews and their likes or even sinners) is proved through the arguments which shall be presented below.

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa1425

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

9 hours ago, rajul said:

Thank you, I will check them out.

I actually like some of the content of his work. I just cannot stand the way he speaks. I come from an academic background, getting my doctorate currently. He is what a somewhat educated person thinks that a genius sounds like.

When you say, 'I just care about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), how to please Allah and seek forgiveness..' , I think this is something that is common to all Muslims, including myself. Yet, at the same time, you have Muslims killing each other all over the world, with each side saying ' Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would be pleased with this'. You have this thing now called 'Gay Muslims' (term is self explainatory. I have talked to them before on this forum. Every one that I have talked to says what you have said above. Also, the ones who tell these people that what they are doing is wrong and they could possibly go to hell for this, they also say that 'I just care about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and how to please Allah(s.w.a)'. 

So when you say, 'I just care about pleasing Allah(s.w.a)' you obviously are going about this in a certain way (I.e. having certain beliefs and doing certain actions). How do you know that these are the particular beliefs and actions that, in fact, do please Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ?