Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

:salam:

Two questions related to each other.

1/ What would be the Arabic word for 'Prophet' in the sense of 'giving predictions about the future' ?

My limited understanding is that Nabi is about Naba' I.e. giver of (good?) news. But does this mean news about the long term future, like End of times ?

2/ What would be examples of prophecies delivered by Nabi Muhammad (sawas) ? 

I can think of Zumar, Zalzala and other obvious descriptions of Yowm al Qiyama, but almost nothing about what will happen in History, except for maybe Al Rum, and Ya'juj and Ma'juj.

Biblical texts on the contrary were filled with predictions of what would happen to such and such king.

Please share your knowledge.

It's difficult because I think the general terms used nowadays for Prophet and prophecies come from the word nabi. I would be interested to know whether Arabs call the predictions of Nostradamus prophecies and what word they use to describe them. I suppose there are religiously empty words you could alternatively use like 'predict', 'forecast', but would they really fully fit the description though?

As for prophecies by the Prophet, I at least think it's a subject I find controversial, while the Qur'an tells us that he was a just a bringer of good news, a warner, a mere mortal, he didn't know any more about the future than anyone else, hadiths state the total opposite in that he could predict things that would happen that would need to happen in order to establish the final hour, that he knew things others did not, that he was more than a mere mortal and could perform miracles so significant that the whole world should have seen them but didn't. Hadiths like this, especially ones classed as sahih were always going to surface though.

That's my interpretation and belief and it brings me peace, and others will have different interpretations and beliefs which suit them and bring them peace and that's fine.

10 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

It's difficult because I think the general terms used nowadays for Prophet and prophecies come from the word nabi. I would be interested to know whether Arabs call the predictions of Nostradamus prophecies and what word they use to describe them. I suppose there are religiously empty words you could alternatively use like 'predict', 'forecast', but would they really fully fit the description though?

As for prophecies by the Prophet, I at least think it's a subject I find controversial, while the Qur'an tells us that he was a just a bringer of good news, a warner, a mere mortal, he didn't know any more about the future than anyone else, hadiths state the total opposite in that he could predict things that would happen that would need to happen in order to establish the final hour, that he knew things others did not, that he was more than a mere mortal and could perform miracles so significant that the whole world should have seen them but didn't. Hadiths like this, especially ones classed as sahih were always going to surface though.

That's my interpretation and belief and it brings me peace, and others will have different interpretations and beliefs which suit them and bring them peace and that's fine.

Thanks for your input. I also find it strange how ahadith are full of future predictions, and how Qur'an, deals with past stories only, at least at first sight.

As far as terminology is concerned, I found Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) adresses Muhammad (sawas) most of the times as Rasul, yet at one or several occasions He mentions him as Khatm al nabiyin, not Khatm al Mursalin. 

See this verse 33:40 :

مَّا كَانَ مُحَمَّدٌ أَبَا أَحَدٍ مِّن رِّجَالِكُمْ وَلَـٰكِن رَّسُولَ اللَّـهِ وَخَاتَمَ النَّبِيِّينَ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّـهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمًا

So I find this vocab quite confusing, because that would mean Muhammad was a Rasul of Allah, and the seal of the Nabiyin. Meaning there shall be no Nabi after him. But as Muslims we are rather taught that there shall be no Rasul after him. 

Apologies if I am not making myself clear.

Yeah, I'm with you on that last point.

I suppose as Muslims it is vital that we are made aware that there will be no further messenger, so that is what we are taught. It stops any suspicions that the religion we follow will be changed by another messenger however years down the line. A lesson obviously worth teaching as it is the truth.

In terms of organic, fluid religion rather than the institutionalised format we have today I might speculate that during the new revelation of Islam, the priority wasn't that people knew there were no more messengers with new revelations, but that Muhammad was a Prophet and the last one, so it was important people understood this rather than think 'he isn't the last Prophet, only the last messenger. Hence why he is referred to as the seal of the prophethood, but it may be that Allah called him rasul personally.