Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AkhiraisReal

Greta Thunberg hype, why?

Rate this topic

This girl from sweden who has gained lots of publicity all around the world, what is up with all the hype.

Would a person who school strike for people under oppression gain the same publicity. Rohingya, yemen, palestine, Iraq, Syria, afghanistan, countries in Africa etc. Why don't we have people school strike for humans. All this hype around that girl yet we face serious problems involving human genocide and I don't see anyone school strike for that nor any news media covering that.

May Allah hasten the reappearance of our Imam.

Amongst liberals, it's a non-controversial topic that affects everyone. In addition, As far as I know, she began the protests without much publicity and once they had gained some traction there was more attention.

So it has the appeal of being genuine/authentic.

Guest Monad

Never heard of until your message.

One thing  we must realise that A this is all a game of the elite class. What is the current political climate. Climate change. Look at her associations. She clearly is not of the peasant class.

Here is a summary of what someone wrote.

Wars of old where sport of kings. They would never go all the way and take each other out as that would cause revolutions.

So here the rich are playing with the poor. They decide which of their little elitist blood lines gets the center stage and make an impact. You think some poor class kid would have the status, association and funds to achieve this relatively this quickly?.

2 hours ago, AkhiraisReal said:

what is up with all the hype.

She is a truant teenager -protesting while skipping school.

Similar to what @Haji 2003 wrote, a media icon has been created. As l heard on the radio Friday the 6th, "climate change" is an idea "without solution".

Here are some comparisons:  about 25 years ago, study showed that the eruption of the two volcanoes Mt. Pinatubo and Mt Hudson in 1991 dropped global temperatures 0.1 degrees C; 

ln 1982, Mt. Chichon pumped 7 million tons of SO2 into the atmosphere. Thiosulfate bacteria consumes this.

Mt. Erebus in Antarctica has a 1500-1700 degree lava lake, but there is snow and ice inside the crater.

And so on. So why a truant teenager? It is an old fascist propaganda tactic to use 'children and their future' as a (pretended) requirement for policy choices by political elites. Example? The schools -which then teach little of substance but promote sports, music, art and 'tolerance'.

10 hours ago, Guest Monad said:

Never heard of until your message.

One thing  we must realise that A this is all a game of the elite class. What is the current political climate. Climate change. Look at her associations. She clearly is not of the peasant class.

Here is a summary of what someone wrote.

Wars of old where sport of kings. They would never go all the way and take each other out as that would cause revolutions.

So here the rich are playing with the poor. They decide which of their little elitist blood lines gets the center stage and make an impact. You think some poor class kid would have the status, association and funds to achieve this relatively this quickly?.

@Haji 2003@aaaz1618@hasanhh@Revert1963

this guy might not be the best source of information, but still worth a listening.

Guest Enquirer

Dude, you really need to stop with the tin foil hat stuff. Stop watching these videos, its not healthy, they're propagating falsehoods. Climate change is real, Greta is simply a young girl who got attention for fighting climate change, there's nothing more to it. No illuminate, elite, bla bla bla. I really don't like how some Shia media companies including iranian national news channels are propagating conspiracy theories and making a lot of Shia people like this. Stop trying to overinterpret everything, just read the news like a normal person and interpret it with the cited information you're given, not theories you/others make. 

Guest Enquirer
On 9/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, hasanhh said:

It ain't "real" and l ain'[t going to let some truant teenager do my thinking for me any more than the older Paris Hilton.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:02 AM, hasanhh said:

:dwarf:"Bring her back over here!"

https://www.dw.com/en/greta-thunberg-wins-amnesty-international-award/a-50453305 

She is their "Ambassador of Conscience".  

:hahaha:

You need help brother. I've seen a lot of people like you before, they fill their head with so much false information they start questioning every fact. Just like you, they think using big words like 'truant' makes their false ideas seem more true to themselves, and argue by adding unrelated topics to their conversation like 'Paris Hilton'. 

@AkhiraisReal  Did you see a news clip of G.T. whining before Congress with a few other brats? They whined before the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis, a sub-committee of the House Foreign Relations Committee. G.T, met with Obama before this. 

l saw part of what she said and you can see why she was picked-out as the public-face: her English is good.

Note: One news commentator said (approx) "I am not listening to no kid" and a co-anchor shot back "No kid bashing!"

I'll add, then: "NO Kid Praising".

16 hours ago, hasanhh said:

@AkhiraisReal  Did you see a news clip of G.T. whining before Congress with a few other brats? They whined before the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis, a sub-committee of the House Foreign Relations Committee. G.T, met with Obama before this. 

l saw part of what she said and you can see why she was picked-out as the public-face: her English is good.

Note: One news commentator said (approx) "I am not listening to no kid" and a co-anchor shot back "No kid bashing!"

I'll add, then: "NO Kid Praising".

Just watched some few parts. Her english is average, it only sounds good when she reads from the papers. She don't seem so fluent when there is no papers to read from.

Anyways, there is lot more important world issues that needs to be handled, and climate change isn't one of the priorities.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, AkhiraisReal said:

This girl from sweden who has gained lots of publicity all around the world, what is up with all the hype.

Would a person who school strike for people under oppression gain the same publicity. Rohingya, yemen, palestine, Iraq, Syria, afghanistan, countries in Africa etc. Why don't we have people school strike for humans. All this hype around that girl yet we face serious problems involving human genocide and I don't see anyone school strike for that nor any news media covering that.

May Allah hasten the reappearance of our Imam.

And what are Muslims doing about any of those things? Nothing. At least those "infidels" care about issues.

In addition, here's a video of Randall Carlson discussing climate change:

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

Greta Thunberg seems to invoke the same sort of reaction in western countries among the right-wing crowd as Malala does in Pakistan. What's with the right-wing hating on teenage girls :confused:

On 9/21/2019 at 2:28 AM, AkhiraisReal said:

Anyways, there is lot more important world issues that needs to be handled, and climate change isn't one of the priorities.

You realise climate change will likely affect your children and grandchildren? Regardless of that girl's motivation, she isn't spreading anything harmful to any living human being. Allah commands us to be mindful of our surroundings, and using less plastic and wasting less food etc is all part of being mindful of our world. Allah gave us this world and we need to keep it clean. What do you find so repulsive about being less wasteful? Yes, there are people dying in Rohingya and Syria etc. But we can't change that. Every little helps and if you're so concerned, go fundraise for them or volunteer in countries in need. Just like we need to protect our vulnerable brothers and sisters, we also need to protect our vulnerable environment. Don't stand in the way of anything positive though. 

The comments in this thread are astounding. She might be a privileged child but this child surely knows more about climate change than 3/4 of the people commenting about her privilege. See past her skin colour, to the actual issue at hand. 

Edited by 2Timeless

On 9/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Guest Monad said:

Look at her associations

it was just something other than climate change. she's a child who is not interesting since she flew thus contributing against 'her cause'. her english be it from papers or wherever is irrelevant, but what message is she or are they trying to send forth. alhamdulillah for Islam, now that's interesting. 

43 minutes ago, Mzwakhe said:

it was just something other than climate change. she's a child who is not interesting since she flew thus contributing against 'her cause'. her english be it from papers or wherever is irrelevant, but what message is she or are they trying to send forth. alhamdulillah for Islam, now that's interesting. 

Actually, she did not fly.   

https://www.independent.co.United Kingdom/environment/climate-change/greta-thunberg-new-york-yacht-climate-change-boat-a9083026.html 

Edited by forte

So Greta made it to North America on a clean energy boat. Some questions on how to get her back home. Some suggested a cargo ship, as it's going anyways, but they decided to fly in a crew of 5 to bring the boat back.
Reminds me of Neil Young coming to Calgary to protest the gas and oil, while his tour bus sits in the back alley running.

4 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

So Greta made it to North America on a clean energy boat. Some questions on how to get her back home. Some suggested a cargo ship, as it's going anyways, but they decided to fly in a crew of 5 to bring the boat back.
Reminds me of Neil Young coming to Calgary to protest the gas and oil, while his tour bus sits in the back alley running.

How could the world come to this? A kid saying nothing new, while skipping school, is getting so much media attention as if she is telling us something we never heard before. We are supposed to act shocked and suprised just because its a young girl saying the same old things again this time?

The news headlines today is about how Greta looked at Trump, how could this be counted as news? No other things going on in the world?

I think peak intellegence of humanity has been reached and its going down again now. Reminds me of the movie idiocracy.

Edited by Soldiers and Saffron

2 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

How could the world come to this? A kid saying nothing new, while skipping school, is getting so much media attention as if she is telling us something we never heard before. We are supposed to act shocked and suprised just because its a young girl saying the same old things again this time?

The news headlines today is about how Greta looked at Trump, how could this be counted as news? No other things going on in the world?

I think peak intellegence of humanity has been reached and its going down again now. Reminds me of the movie idiocracy.

Exactly, there is always some other agenda behind these types of events. People have been arguing climate change for decades........... And now all of a sudden...

Edited by AkhiraisReal

On 9/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, Brained said:

Greta Thunberg seems to invoke the same sort of reaction in western countries among the right-wing crowd as Malala does in Pakistan. What's with the right-wing hating on teenage girls :confused:

Well, at least they are half right.  :D

Greta is awesome, and it's not her fault she has become the media's darling, but there are dozens of other environmental activists who also deserve our attention, who the media has been content to ignore for decades.

As for how she can get back home without air travel, she can cross the continent via electric vehicle to Alaska, then sail or row to Siberia, and then across Asia and home by electric car or train or even bicycle or on foot if she chooses.

But it's not the activists who need our action so much as their cause. If we don't make changes to our present lifestyle, it's going to change for us.

Man-made global climate change is a fact.

Individuals can't make much difference alone, but big corporations and governments can.

But they won't, because they'll be fine in their air conditioned ivory towers while the rest of us starve, drown, and die.

Anyone read H. G. Wells's The Time Machine? I think we are the Morlocks and they are the Eloi. I think Wells had it all wrong when he presented the Morlocks as evil mindless consumers and the Eloi as innocent children.

11 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Nope, ain't demonstrated, much less 'proven'.

Now the threatening (my characterization) nature of plastic pollution is.

On the first, we will have to just agree to disagree, since I am convinced by the science and you are not.

On the second, I agree, plastic pollution is another huge problem that we need to solve or we will not continue to enjoy our current lifestyle. Plastic is an amazing and useful material. Single use plastic is a waste of resources and a contaminant.

I believe the two are intertwined. Both are a result of use of petroleum products in industrialization and mass production, coupled with excessive consumption.