Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammadi_follower

Jobs in Iran without speaking Farsi well?

Salam aleykoum, 

I wanted to ask if you know if it would be difficult to find a job in Iran when we have iranian passport but not (at least for the moment) a very good level of Farsi. 

Does some jobs would be more easy to find than others? 

Thanks for your help. 

Salam you can start as foreign language teacher in language institutes in Iran .

Wa alaykum salaam..

Depends on your qualifications. Generally, it is not easy to get employed if you do not speak Farsi. I had this challenge while living in Mashhad.

Secondly, where you are could affect your prospects. Tehran may have more employment opportunities because of being more cosmopolitan than other areas. If you are in Shiraz, Isfahan etc, you might get better "small town" opportunities because of the migration of potential employees to bigger towns.

25 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam you can start as foreign language teacher in language institutes in Iran .

If he/she has a british/non American accent, it can be quite a challenge to get a place of employment if you do not speak Farsi fluently.

You may want to consider offering private tutoring in English.

And ofcourse, the best source of good employment in Iran, and most other places in the world: party bazi :shifty:

Just now, Ashvazdanghe said:

I would think that speaking Farsi would be a prerequisite for teaching Farsi speakers an other language. At least for beginners classes.
And then why not learn Farsi? I am trying to learn it. It shouldn't be that difficult. If you speak an Indo-European language you can recognize many of the word and if you know some Arabic you will know the rest.

10 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam. Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you know names of some good institutes? Is it a plus also to know speaking French in addition of English? 

10 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Wa alaykum salaam..

Depends on your qualifications. Generally, it is not easy to get employed if you do not speak Farsi. I had this challenge while living in Mashhad.

Secondly, where you are could affect your prospects. Tehran may have more employment opportunities because of being more cosmopolitan than other areas. If you are in Shiraz, Isfahan etc, you might get better "small town" opportunities because of the migration of potential employees to bigger towns.

If he/she has a british/non American accent, it can be quite a challenge to get a place of employment if you do not speak Farsi fluently.

You may want to consider offering private tutoring in English.

And ofcourse, the best source of good employment in Iran, and most other places in the world: party bazi :shifty:

Salam could we know more about your life in Iran in general? What job you do etc. 

20 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Does some jobs would be more easy to find than others?

Here's a left-field idea. What about firms that print signs and notices etc. in foreign languages, especially those which supply hotels etc. they're in dire need of someone who speaks native English and can proof-read their output.

The people attending the following event in Tehran in November this year will be potential employers/customers:

http://iranprintpack.com

Ironically the website for that exhibition highlights exactly what I mean, two mistakes in one line of text:

1835462576_Screenshot2019-09-04at11_34_04.thumb.png.97c9910d6d2c8c318caa22abcb4d8885.png

Edited by Haji 2003

2 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Salam could we know more about your life in Iran in general? What job you do etc. 

Ws.

I only lived in Iran about a year. I am a lawyer (qualified outside Iran) and had practically no prospects in the legal profession. At the time, I was in Hawza and a housewife and not actively seeking a job. I went to one language training centre as a family member had referred me and said they are in dire need of an English teacher. When I went they said they prefer American accent teachers as the demand is much higher than for British accent English. This is true, as you also find a multitude of American accent training material available in the shops. I also did not find the teaching environment conducive as they held mixed classes for males and females, and as a chador + niqab wearing person, it would not be hijab friendly to instruct males.

Life in Iran is pretty comfortable and easy to adjust to. For me, having access to women only recreational facilities was a real plus e.g swimming pools, parks with exercise areas dedicated to women only, segregated buses, not hearing haraam music everywhere, the vibrant nature of religious commemorations etc all made it very comfortable for me to be in Iran.

It can be challenging to live independently in Iran if you do not speak Farsi fluently. Ofcourse, if you speak English and are a "khariji" you will generally get royal treatment and are not likely not to get directions and possibly a lift to where you need to go even if it is in broken english :grin:

Like the poster above mentioned, there is a dire need for signage. In Mashhad, it is pretty easy to get around, as all roads include directions to get to the Haram of Imam Ridha (عليه السلام) and once you get there, you can easily know where to get where you need to -well for me anyway, directions to the haram could lead me home, to my inlaws home and to the major shopping districts. Tehrans metro network is more complicated because they have multiple lines as opposed to Iran which runs a single line (2nd one was being built, maybe it is functioning now.. ive not been there in over 3 years :( )

If you need to communicate with people outside Iran regularly, it can be pretty challenging between filters and areas of weak internet coverage.

All in all, I loved living in Iran and still plan to spend a significant part of my life there inshaAllah despite the change of personal circumstances.

If you need a job to support your life in Iran, then get one before you go. Also, it would help to have a property there so you do not get inconvenienced by regular moving. Their rental contracts seem to run on a yearly basis. Rent is pretty affordable I found, but the refundable deposit/rahn can be pretty high. Perhaps you can find out what Iran has that your current country/town needs so you can be a supplier of the goods .. you would need a very reliable hawala system to move money though. Getting money into Iran can be a nightmare.

Consumer goods are price controlled so its pretty cheap to live in Iran in terms of food, clothes and rent. If you have good savings where you are now, this might be a good time to invest in Iran as the weak currency gives you very strong buying power. I don’t know how long this status quo will last. When I was there about 6 7 years ago a dollar was 3050 toman. When I went about 3.5 years ago it was around 4300 I think. Last night it was 11400.

May Allah guide you and your family to the best decision in this matter.

5 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

In Tehran, both are very very high.

Possibly, though I guess it depends on the area. The ones I knew living in the North said their area was more expensive but other areas are reasonably priced. Then again, reasonable is relative. Perhaps you can give us a current feel of average rents in middle class/upper middle class neighborhoods in dollars per square metre.

Oh and imported cars are super expensive. Iranian cars are relatively cheap but can be odd adjusting to if you are used to japanese or European cars. 

Fuel is super super super cheap so make use of that to have plenty of road trips to visit scenic areas.

Just now, habib e najjaar said:

Oh and imported cars are super expensive. Iranian cars are relatively cheap but can be odd adjusting to if you are used to japanese or European cars. 

Posh European cars are the splendors of the dunya anyway and driving an Iranian car helps the Iranian economy. The cheap gas is not so good for the environment though. Air pollution in Tehran is actually a health hazard.

Edited by Revert1963

37 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Possibly, though I guess it depends on the area. The ones I knew living in the North said their area was more expensive but other areas are reasonably priced. Then again, reasonable is relative. Perhaps you can give us a current feel of average rents in middle class/upper middle class neighborhoods in dollars per square metre.

Depending on the area and how old the flat is, it is usually 2.5-5 million tomans per sq.metre.

As to Iranian cars...Samand costs 70-90 million tomans.

37 minutes ago, habib e najjaar said:

Fuel is super super super cheap so make use of that to have plenty of road trips to visit scenic areas.

The government pays subsidy for the fuel. 

2 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Depending on the area and how old the flat is, it is usually 2.5-5 million tomans per sq.metre.

As to Iranian cars...Samand costs 70-90 million tomans.

Is that for buying or renting a flat? because if it is renting it seams quite expensive compared to the car. It would be almost 3 cars for a 50 sq. meter apartment.

5 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

The government pays subsidy for the fuel. 

I swear they haven't subsidized it for a few years now? I have a kaart-e-sookht which used to work, but it hasn't worked since few years and petrol stations just have their own cards you have to push in to make the pump work.

I own a Pride :keeporder:.

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

8 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

inshaAllah despite the change of personal circumstances.

alhamdulillah you're not in spite of change. Do you think such changes are good for you & have you've been able to embrace such changes?

15 minutes ago, Mzwakhe said:

alhamdulillah you're not in spite of change. Do you think such changes are good for you & have you've been able to embrace such changes?

All change that happens to a person which he/she had not planned for or wanted should make one happy. In such a situation, one does not get what they wanted, but instead they get what Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wanted (qismat), and a Merciful and compassionate Creator always wants much better for us than we are able to fathom. Alhamdulillah, wa kullil hamd lillah

2 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

That's what it says on it - but in all honesty, the car is a death wish. 

On the contrary, it develops you spiritually. 

ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﻫﺎﯼ ﺧﺎﺭﺟﯽ ﺍﺻﻼ ﺧﻮﺏ ﻧﯿﺴﺘﻦ
ﭼﻮﻥ ﺁﺩﻡ ﻭﻗﺘﯽ ﭘﺸﺘﺶ ﻣﯿﺸﯿﻨﻪ ﻣﻤﮑﻨﻪ ﺧﺪﺍ ﺭﻭ ﻓﺮﺍﻣﻮﺵ کنه...

ﻭﻟﯽ ﺗﻮ ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﻫﺎﯼ ﺍﯾﺮﺍﻧﯽ ﻫﻤﺶ به یاﺩ ﺧﺪﺍ ﻫﺴﺘﯽ؛

ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﺁﺗﯿﺶ ﻧﮕﯿﺮﻩ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﻻﺳﺘﯿﮑﺶ ﻧﺘﺮﮐﻪ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﭼﭗ ﻧﮑﻨﻢ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﺗﺮﻣﺰﺵ ﺑﮕﯿﺮﻩ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﻧﺰﻧﻢ ﺑﻪ ﯾﻪ ﺣﯿﻮﻭﻥ ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﺩﺍﻏﻮﻥ ﺑﺸﻪ

کلا فضاش معنویه ! 

7 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

If you have the right attitude every little inconvenience in life develops you spiritually. 

:sign_offtopic:

14 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

I swear they haven't subsidized it for a few years now? I have a kaart-e-sookht which used to work, but it hasn't worked since few years and petrol stations just have their own cards you have to push in to make the pump work.

I own a Pride :keeporder:.

پراید ماشین ضعیفیه. تو تصادفها مچاله میشه.

بنزین یارانه داره تا جایی که میدونم. این رو گفتید من شک کردم چون خودم رانندگی نمیکنم ولی زنگ زدم پرسیدم گفتند یارانه داره

12 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﻫﺎﯼ ﺧﺎﺭﺟﯽ ﺍﺻﻼ ﺧﻮﺏ ﻧﯿﺴﺘﻦ
ﭼﻮﻥ ﺁﺩﻡ ﻭﻗﺘﯽ ﭘﺸﺘﺶ ﻣﯿﺸﯿﻨﻪ ﻣﻤﮑﻨﻪ ﺧﺪﺍ ﺭﻭ ﻓﺮﺍﻣﻮﺵ کنه...

ﻭﻟﯽ ﺗﻮ ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﻫﺎﯼ ﺍﯾﺮﺍﻧﯽ ﻫﻤﺶ به یاﺩ ﺧﺪﺍ ﻫﺴﺘﯽ؛

ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﺁﺗﯿﺶ ﻧﮕﯿﺮﻩ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﻻﺳﺘﯿﮑﺶ ﻧﺘﺮﮐﻪ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﭼﭗ ﻧﮑﻨﻢ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﺗﺮﻣﺰﺵ ﺑﮕﯿﺮﻩ
ﺧﺪﺍ ﮐﻨﻪ ﻧﺰﻧﻢ ﺑﻪ ﯾﻪ ﺣﯿﻮﻭﻥ ﻣﺎﺷﯿﻦ ﺩﺍﻏﻮﻥ ﺑﺸﻪ

کلا فضاش معنویه ! 

خدا خیرت بده دم ظهری دلمون رو شاد کردی؛)

بخصوص جمله یکی مونده به آخر خیلی جالب بود!!

Edited by shadow_of_light

21 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

am a lawyer (qualified outside Iran) and had practically no prospects in the legal profession

Do you offer legal advice as I need it & a lawyer.

1 hour ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

من نمی دونستم این قدر ایرانیها تو این سایت بودند :confused:. کی الان تو ایرانه؟ من یک هفته دیگه برمی گردم ایران :pushup2:

:keeporder:کجا هستن؟ من که ندیدم

19 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

من نمی دونستم این قدر ایرانیها تو این سایت بودند :confused:. کی الان تو ایرانه؟ من یک هفته دیگه برمی گردم ایران :pushup2:

من در ایران هستم.

9 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Depends. :itsok:

On...