Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Mahia

Dentist or doctor?

Guest Mahia

Salam guys!

My whole life I wanted to become a doctor. But recently dentistry got my attention. Inshallah I will start one of these studies next year, when I'm 20. Studying medicine (in my country) is 6 years, then you work for like 1-2 years and then you have to specialize in something (like surgery, ENT) for about 6 years. Which means I most likely will finish my studies when I'm 34. Well, of course I want to marry and have kids etc but I don't know if that's possible you know? Also I don't know if I'm the right person to become a doctor . I don't know if I can handle the stress etc. Anyway, as I said recently dentistry got my attention. This is also 6 years, but after those 6 years you're done and you can work. Which means I'm 26 when I have a job. A dentist doesn't overwork like doctors do and have less stress and more time (for their family etc.) . 

Anyway, what do you all suggest? Should I go for medicine or dental school? 

Either is a respectable profession.

Do you like improving the condition of people's mouths? If yes, study dentistry. The pay is good, and once established, you can set your own schedule around your family's needs.

If you were to study medicine, what specialty were you considering?

6 hours ago, Guest Mahia said:

Anyway, what do you all suggest? Should I go for medicine or dental school? 

Here is an idea:

Maxiofacial surgeon (if l spelled it correctly. 

Yeah, it is demanding to start but you work regular hours because there is prep time before hand.

I had one of these cut into my face when l got a gangrenous tooth. He had to cut back all the way to the flap of tissue in front of my spinal cord and scrape out all the infection. lt took nearly three hours. Then he sewed me back together.

Guest Mahia
On 8/25/2019 at 3:06 PM, notme said:

Either is a respectable profession.

Do you like improving the condition of people's mouths? If yes, study dentistry. The pay is good, and once established, you can set your own schedule around your family's needs.

If you were to study medicine, what specialty were you considering?

The problem is I like both. Yes, I loved medicine all my life but dentistry also interests me. But the road to become a doctor is so long and I'm afraid I don't have time to marry / start a family / be there for my kids. I was considering to become an ENT or a gynecologist. Dentistry, however, is just 6 years studying and then you're ready to work. 

Also another thing I should mention, if I were to become a dentist, then my dad can work less so I can provide for him which is my ultimate dream in life. I don't want my dad to work his [censored] off everyday, since he's been working since he was 8 and he never ever has free time and works 12+ hours everyday even sometimes on Sundays. Yh, it just sucks because he's also becoming older and has health related problems and I for once want him to just enjoy his life stress free, and not caring about providing for our family and his own family (brothers etc) (he basically carries the whole family). I can make that happen for him if I'm going to study dentistry. 

So yeah I just don't know anymore I'm really lost. 

Edited by notme
Language

Guest Mahia
On 8/25/2019 at 11:52 PM, hasanhh said:

Here is an idea:

Maxiofacial surgeon (if l spelled it correctly. 

Yeah, it is demanding to start but you work regular hours because there is prep time before hand.

I had one of these cut into my face when l got a gangrenous tooth. He had to cut back all the way to the flap of tissue in front of my spinal cord and scrape out all the infection. lt took nearly three hours. Then he sewed me back together.

Hey thanks for your reply! Yes, I know about this specialty but it is easier to get accepted into this specialty if you're studying medicine. So yeah basically if there are still places left after they've been given out to med students then the best dental students will get them. 

2 hours ago, Guest Mahia said:

Hey thanks for your reply! Yes, I know about this specialty but it is easier to get accepted into this specialty if you're studying medicine. So yeah basically if there are still places left after they've been given out to med students then the best dental students will get them. 

The one who did the cutting was DDS, while his father was MD.

Guest Mahia
On 8/30/2019 at 9:02 PM, notme said:

Looks like you know you want to study dentistry, but are reluctant to let go of your long held former dream. 

I wish you success. 

I only want to study dentistry because, after Medicine, it's the only thing that interests me + the salary is good enough to care for myself and for my parents.

My heart is still in Medicine, but yeah I don't know.

Thanks for your reply though. 

3 hours ago, Guest Mahia said:

My heart is still in Medicine, but yeah I don't know.

Is it possible for you to study dentistry, care for your parents and future spouse and children, and at a later time apply to medical school?