Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali~J

Employers screening Job Applicants with social media

"The good folks down at Reppler recently conducted a survey of 300 professionals who are involved in the hiring process at their company to understand the use of social networks for screening job applicants. The results of this survey are shown in this infographic below."

Also read this link: https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/social-media-recruitment-how-far-too-far/

social-screening.thumb.jpg.79be2e8d0792d23d4c7b8d400a474217.jpg

Fair game I say. Social media is a way of expressing ourselves in a way we never could in the real world, the socially inept become slightly comical and confident (like I do), the closet racist put on his or her best finery and steps out, the introverted goody two shoes becomes the sleazy sexual deviant.

Social media extracts opinions like some sort of truth drug, and employers want the truth, even though interviews ironically show little element of a person's performance and desire to join the business.

4 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

Fair game I say. Social media is a way of expressing ourselves in a way we never could in the real world, the socially inept become slightly comical and confident (like I do), the closet racist put on his or her best finery and steps out, the introverted goody two shoes becomes the sleazy sexual deviant.

Social media extracts opinions like some sort of truth drug, and employers want the truth, even though interviews ironically show little element of a person's performance and desire to join the business.

Yeah but we were all stupid teens once. Only many of us didn't have social media in our immature younger years like this generation. Those stupid tweets could come back and haunt a lot of people, only we forget young peoples' world view is still developing.

https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/news/entertainment-arts-47894279

Take this for example, I think this was unfair

That's fine. Anything you put on the internet is public. It's perfectly reasonable for a company to be choosy about the public face of their employees.

That having been said, discrimination on the basis of social and personal matters might be illegal. It would be impossible to prove, but reputable hiring managers need to take care to avoid it.

And I'm 100% certain a lot of companies would avoid hiring me because of my publicly declared political and social views and I'm ok with that. Who would want to work for a company that doesn't fit their values?

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Yeah but we were all stupid teens once. Only many of us didn't have social media in our immature younger years like this generation. Those stupid tweets could come back and haunt a lot of people, only we forget young peoples' world view is still developing.

https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/news/entertainment-arts-47894279

Take this for example, I think this was unfair

True, but I was talking about fully grown adults who ought to know better.

Yes that was quite unfair, high level politicians say what they please and they run an entire nation.

1 hour ago, notme said:

That having been said, discrimination on the basis of social and personal matters might be illegal.

It goes both ways as well.

One of my employers likes to hold themselves as a paragon of business virtue and makes a big song and dance about their transparency and equality when hiring. However, it would  not be too difficult for someone to make the connections between the social networks of senior members of staff and new hires.

I ain't got any of that thar "social medium".

I don't Twit, Link, Face-off, or babble with anyone.

Heck, l don't answer my phone when l don't want to. It can goto voice-mail.

If the call is so important they can come themselves . . . or send the police.

And l snail-mail to.

Why would l want to spend several hundred dollars on a phone that will only take up space in my pocket?

And breaks, shorts-out from water and other lack-of-durability non-features.

?

Besides, what is a recruiter looking for? A beer drinking fishin' buddy?