Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
blazini

Informing Family of Haram Acts

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salam everyone, 

Just wondering what our roll is as Muslims regarding informing parents of family members committing haram acts such as drinking, eating haram food, relationships outside of marriage, etc.

Unfortunately, one of my family members behaviour is quite unsalvageable and this individual is really manipulating others into believing they are on a more righteous path.

Should I confront the parents or should I mind my own business?

Thank you everyone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alaykum Salam.

You’ll find a lot of parents actually drink and smoke, but eating haram food I’ve never heard of.

In my opinion you can remind them and tell them what they are doing is wrong, but they are still your parents and they “can” do whatever they want.

Even though it sounds egoistic, you’re not accountable for their faults/deeds if you didn’t cause it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't disclose another's sins because unless my intentions and record is pure, disclosure is bound to bite me later down the line. 

However, others may see this differently. Have you tried to approach the person and try to tell them what they are doing wrong,? If you can approach them and they will sort themselves out it is better than just going to the parents, the amount of stigma that soon sticks due to family involvement can be spared if they nip whatever they are doing in the bud by their own accord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

You’ll find a lot of parents actually drink and smoke, but eating haram food I’ve never heard of.

I have an elderly relative who is the source of many gems.

One of them was that because of his position in the Pakistani judiciary and the ability to pass life/death sentences and his fear of God in relation to this - the stress of the position was relieved by smoking.

I observed that this was the first time I had heard of someone smoking because of their fear of God. This elderly gentleman did not speak to me for a few days afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I wouldn't disclose another's sins because unless my intentions and record is pure, disclosure is bound to bite me later down the line. 

However, others may see this differently. Have you tried to approach the person and try to tell them what they are doing wrong,? If you can approach them and they will sort themselves out it is better than just going to the parents, the amount of stigma that soon sticks due to family involvement can be spared if they nip whatever they are doing in the bud by their own accord.

My external reaction would be to walk away and mind my own business, but the gut feeling is to tell the parents especially since they are being lied to, directly and indirectly. 

More specifically regarding the sin that broke the camels back, is this female family individual who is 21 years old, had sexual intercourse with a 40 plus year old westerner man and continues to do so.

It just doesn't feel right sitting this one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blazini said:

My external reaction would be to walk away and mind my own business, but the gut feeling is to tell the parents especially since they are being lied to, directly and indirectly. 

More specifically regarding the sin that broke the camels back, is this female family individual who is 21 years old, had sexual intercourse with a 40 plus year old westerner man and continues to do so.

It just doesn't feel right sitting this one out.

Would telling the family put her at risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

I have an elderly relative who is the source of many gems.

One of them was that because of his position in the Pakistani judiciary and the ability to pass life/death sentences and his fear of God in relation to this - the stress of the position was relieved by smoking.

I observed that this was the first time I had heard of someone smoking because of their fear of God. This elderly gentleman did not speak to me for a few days afterwards.

I wonder if that's why so many guys spark up after coming out the mosque on a Friday. Fear of God and the stress involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...