Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ali_fatheroforphans

Married but living with parents

Rate this topic

Salam,

When couples get married, is there an Islamic obligation for the husband to provide for his wife, if both haven't started to live together  (due to certain reasons). Like say if the dad chooses to support his daughter for the time being.

I think emotionally and non-materialistically speaking the husband has a duty from the word go, in terms of finance or material aspects, the husband should at least help out even though the father has stated he will provide for the mean time. I think it creates mutual respect and increases bonding.

Ws. From Sharia perspective, if the wife doesn't provide conjugal rights to her husband, she will not be entitled to "nafaqa". The husband is obligated to provide maintenance only if the wife fulfills the husband's rights. If there is a mutual understanding that after nikah the couple will not live together for a certain period of time, then husband can still provide for the wife as a sign of love and humbleness, but not as a legal Islamic requirement. You might want to check with the marja for the exact rule but this is what I understand. 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ibn al-Hussain said:

Salam,

No, there is no obligation in this scenario. It is only obligatory after the wedding and when she has started living with you.

پرسش: نفقه زن بر مرد کی واجب می شود؟ بعد از عقد یا بعد از عروسی؟
پاسخ: بعد از عروسی واجب است

Source: https://www.Sistani.org/persian/qa/01063/

Oh yeah that's good news! I think couples should consider marrying young even if the guy doesn't really earn money. The nikah should never be delayed as both spouses will be halal for each other.