Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
WhyAlwaysMe

University Loan

I made a thread similar to this a while ago and I’d just like this time your opinions whether aligned with fatwas or your own belief/opinion

My next university Loan which I need to live based on the factors of; travelling (Uni is 2 and a half hours away), accomadation, food and other expenses.

This Loan will have interest in it. 

What should I do I do as I start university very soon and from other opinions online if I take it it’ll be a major sin. 

This is a United Kingdom university. Perhaps their opinions/fatwas are oblivious to the reality in Europe. It’s all very expensive. I don’t know what to do as it’s my final year. I only found out about this stuff recently.

All help will be appreciated very much.

This may help:

Parents don't HAVE TO borrow for tuition fees - the fees aren't for parents to pay for. First-time undergraduates get them paid for by the Student Loans Company, and only repay if they earn enough after graduation. (If you're saying "but I don't want my kids to be in debt", please read It's more like an extra tax not a loan in our Student Loans Mythbusting guide).

Sadly, many Muslim students in England can’t get student loans, as while there were plans in 2014 to have Sharia compliant loans, the Government has not delivered it. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/should-I-get-student-loan/

BUT, from Ayatollah Sistani's London website we have:

Question: Banks in the West give loans —known as mortgage— to those who do not have enough money to buy houses; this is to be paid back in [weekly or monthly] instalments with a high rate of interest. Is a Muslim allowed to use this facility? If it is not permissible, is there a solution in your view for someone who claims that he needs the mortgage to buy his own residential house and does not possess enough money to pay for it?

Answer: It is permissible to take the money from the bank that is financed by non-Muslim government or private funds but not with the intention of loan. The knowledge that the bank will sooner or later force him to pay the capital as well as the interest does not affect [the lawfulness of] his taking the money.

http://www.Najaf.org/books/205/?id=37

Now as I understand it you are in a better position than a mortgage holder because there may well be very reasonable expectations that you may not earn enough to pay back the loan, let alone the interest. And to have that as your niyat.

Please don't take this as an authoritative answer, but I hope this helps, you find one.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, Haji 2003 said:

This may help:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/should-I-get-student-loan/

BUT, from Ayatollah Sistani's London website we have:

http://www.Najaf.org/books/205/?id=37

Now as I understand it you are in a better position than a mortgage holder because there may well be very reasonable expectations that you may not earn enough to pay back the loan, let alone the interest. And to have that as your niyat.

Please don't take this as an authoritative answer, but I hope this helps, you find one.

What would my niyat specifically be?

This is really affecting me.

Say if I am in a position where I have to pay it back. 

As I understand it your niyat is formulated at the time you take out the loan. My reading of the situation is that you are in a more reasonable position than people who take out mortgages, to have the niyat that you won't pay it back or the interest.

This is just a layperson, common-sense answer, which does not really count for much.

So I am copying in a few people on higher pay-grades.

@Ibn al-Hussain

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi

@realizm

@Mahdavist

On 8/27/2019 at 12:40 PM, Haji 2003 said:

As I understand it your niyat is formulated at the time you take out the loan. My reading of the situation is that you are in a more reasonable position than people who take out mortgages, to have the niyat that you won't pay it back or the interest.

This is just a layperson, common-sense answer, which does not really count for much.

@Ibn al-Hussain

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi

@realizm

@Mahdavist

In the first three years of university, had no clue it could be haram. I was ignorant of religion as a whole. It is now knowing that the next instalment is coming my anxiety is through the roof that I may be doing wrong. Uni is very soon I can’t pull out and save up right now, my parents aren’t in a position to pay. My intention now feels different now that I’m more religiously aware.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, Haji 2003 said:

@Ibn al-Hussain

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi

@realizm

@Mahdavist

I didnt realize I was on a high pay grade :hahaha:. To be honest I can't help much on this topic because in continental Europe most universities only take about 500-600 Eur per semester so student loans are not too common. 

Wallahu a'lam