Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Prep:  https://slate.com/technology/2019/08/the-amazon-fires-what-you-need-to-know.html 

Reportedly, the Amazon produces 20% of the World's oxygen.

An international response is being orchestrated.

There are 1 million indigenous peoples in this area.

Accusations are flying every which way.

Unfortunately a large part of humanity doesn't seem to care...

American Indian saying: 

When all the Land is Barren 
and all the Forests are burned
When all the rivers are poisoned
and all the fish taken from the sea
people will realise they cannot eat money.

We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors,
We have it on loan from our grandchildren. 
 ws.

3 minutes ago, Quisant said:

American Indian saying: 

When all the Land is Barren 
and all the Forests are burned
When all the rivers are poisoned
and all the fish taken from the sea
people will realise they cannot eat money.

We do not inherit this Earth from our ancestors,
We have it on loan from our grandchildren. 

Reminds me of that deep opening scene in Apocalypto

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Above all, amazon forest is the source of toilet paper for the American nation. All those jobs and industry and corporations rely on clearing hundreds of acres each month to produce fresh, clean toilet paper for the American nation. Without it, they will also lose the luxury of wiping and might have to wash instead.

2 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

It's crazy that I only heard about this until a day or two ago. Media has been fairly quiet about it.

Thursday night it was the lead story on DeutscheWelle and BBC-America.

This morning, l have seen almost nothing on the American news.

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Above all, amazon forest is the source of toilet paper for the American nation. All those jobs and industry and corporations rely on clearing hundreds of acres each month to produce fresh, clean toilet paper for the American nation. Without it, they will also lose the luxury of wiping and might have to wash instead.

No.

Read some on pulp and paper technology. Besides, this is not logging only slash and burn.

20% of the Planet's oxygen is produced by the Amazon.

If that doesn't make us understand the importance of the Amazon, then I don't know what can? If we don't take care of the enviornment, then we're only killing ourselves and our progeny.

If the course of action that humanity is heading down regarding the ignorance of the importance of the enviornment then I weep for future generations to come because the quality of life will be devastatingly bad.

The Zuhoor will happen when it happens, but what type of quality of life will be present at that time?

2 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

I personally doubt this. The reason is when we were in college, the info we got is that most of our oxygen comes from aquatic plant life.

Sat,24Aug19  The Brazilian Army will now be deployed to fight the fires --to "save a trade deal" with the EU. -dw.com

As a couple of you expressed above, it is all about money.

11 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Brazil's President wanted to open Amazon for agriculture and Mining. 

This reminds me of something l read a few years back.

This article expressed the disappointment that Africans did not really care for anything about the animals there. It is Western lobbying and money that preserves them.

I figure it is the same about the Amazon. The EU threatening a 'no trade deal' illustrates this.

Subnote: l wonder how Trump is being recieved at the G7 summit today.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, Akbar673 said:

On 8/23/2019 at 12:22 PM, hasanhh said:

I personally doubt this. The reason is when we were in college, the info we got is that most of our oxygen comes from aquatic plant life.

20% is the wrong number. Maybe 6%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2019/08/23/as-the-amazon-fires-spread-so-did-this-unfounded-statistic/#4290b8aa1ea9 

-a short read.

I believe l first heard the 20% number back in the 1990s.

7 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

DeutscheWelle dw.com  Tues,27Aug19  Reported that Brazil has rejected offers of firefighting assistance from the G7.

I blame that on the way Venezuela was.. "assisted". Brazil is wise it seems.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, hasanhh said:

20% is the wrong number. Maybe 6%

I hadn't heard the 20% number until recently, but regardless of the number, losing so much forest is damage which can't be repaired.

I read that the Amazon rain forest produces 20% of the worlds oxygen.  That seems a little high if it is accepted that ocean phytoplankton are responsible for producing 70% of the Earth's oxygen. Not that specific numbers matter, just that both are important and both need protection.

Yarrabi. Now Trump is 'to blame' for the Amazon fires.  :woot:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-china-trade-war-soybean-tariff-amazon-rainforest-fires-opinion-2019-9 

From elsewhere, l know the PRC has been diversifying its purchasing for years. Last year, China purchased 29% of US soybean production. This year, they have purchased and also paid for beans yet-to-be shipped. [I question this large number because most beans go into bio-diesel fuel.] 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-United States <<--my bleeping computer keeps changing 'United States' to United States  :ranting:

:dwarf:"See What l mean? There are commies in this here computer system. They did it again! The 'u', the 's' and the 'a' became

corrupted."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-United States-trade-china-agriculture/us-soybean-exports-to-china-rise-but-big-purchases-remain-elusive-idUSKCN1UO Notice the word 'rise'? The PRC is making many smaller purchases to avoid headlines. US beans have a lower transportation cost than South American beans.

Edited by hasanhh