Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

السلام عليكم

I’ve decided I want to understand more about our Sunni brothers. My family is 50/50 Shia/Sunni as I come from the Hamdan clan in Iraq.
My father is a Shia and married my mother who is the daughter of a Sunni who is married to a Shia. My father’s mother is a Shia who married a Sunni. So it’s obvious ideology didn’t matter back then, so what changed? Why has the sudden increase in hate become so high?

Of course there is a difference between salafis/wahab and your typical Sunni. I’m asking you former Sunnis and current Sunnis what was your thought process is/was like? What did you think about Shia and Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام)? What made you convert to Shia?

I’ve noticed a lot of times when I debate with for example my Sunni friend he tends to get quiet after I prove him wrong by showing proof through hadiths by both Shia and Sunni and him simply saying “Eh I haven’t really studied so I don’t know” and then tries to change the subject. Do alot of Sunnis grow up without being taught about the other sects?

Thank you all for your answers.

34 minutes ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

Of course there is a difference between salafis/wahab and your typical Sunni. I’m asking you former Sunnis and current Sunnis what was your thought process is/was like? What did you think about Shia and Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام)? What made you convert to Shia?

Here you go

14 hours ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

I’ve noticed a lot of times when I debate with for example my Sunni friend he tends to get quiet after I prove him wrong by showing proof through hadiths by both Shia and Sunni and him simply saying “Eh I haven’t really studied so I don’t know” and then tries to change the subject. Do alot of Sunnis grow up without being taught about the other sects?

This is mainly because their scholars choose to either hide the truth, deny or misinterpret it. Plus you'll notice how they don't like these 'touchy subjects'. I am talking about the ones that have to do with the Muslims paying allegiance to Imam Ali (عليه السلام) before Rasullulah (sawas) passed away, the Fadak of Fatima (عليه السلام), the war between Aisha and Imam Ali etc., You have them saying one thing yet their own books say another. 

Sunnis simply don't look into Shi'a sources, they mostly don't touch them. Even masterpieces like Al-Sahifa Al-Sajjadiya which I think every Muslim should read, most Sunnis don't know about.

The only sects that Sunnis look into are Wahhabism due to bad press or wanting to be 'better adherents' (depending on their current situation) and Sufi orders.

As a Sunni I looked into just about every sect going for knowledge and a better understanding, but if you are raised a Sunni and are taught all other sects are deviants, it's a mountain to climb in order to see clear perspective.