Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Of the events and remembrances for the 22nd of August, l chose Ray Bradbury (b.1920) author of Fahrenheit 451 (which is also inscribed on his headstone) who is credited for bringing science fiction into the modern era.

I often think of his book when l see these symbolic pictures for things like "no left turn" on our motorways, for push button identifiers on modern electro-mechanical equipment, and especially when l have to follow the illiterate picture instructions corporations put in our products (like from lKEA). :fever:

l still cringe at people's "Millie Moments"  --as l call them.  Also, remember the ear plugs humming electronic bees into her ears, decades before the Walkman?

29 minutes ago, notme said:

Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. The Martian Chronicles was the first sci-fi book that I read, when I was a young teen.

I never read those, but a lot of the other boys did. They were quite enthusiastic about it.

44 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

I never read those, but a lot of the other boys did. They were quite enthusiastic about it.

My sister and I were visiting our dad and his wife and our younger half-brother. Little brother was with the babysitter, and my sister was running around with some older teens from the neighborhood. In the basement, I found three old paperbacks of Bradbury short stories, and read them all. My dad let me keep them and I still have them. I was probably 11 or 13 years old at the time.

Before that, I'd read mostly children's classics and mysteries like Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys, aside from nonfiction.

Bradbury writes with such vividness that it makes a reader feel as if they are there. These books of short stories not only led to my preference for sci-fi, they also cultivated a drive to question the status quo. The universe is really big - there must be more to see, more ways to do things than we will ever know.

24 minutes ago, notme said:

The universe is really big - there must be more to see, more ways to do things than we will ever know.

Wait until you see Jenna, inshallah.

What I remember about the Hardy Boys is that the boys would have one or two events they talked about, but we never discussed a book as a book.

I read one Nancy Drew, about twenty years ago. I couldn't relate to it.

Since you are really into scifi, l can't wait until you critique my effort.