Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

Your favorite movies

Rate this topic

For me, I love Rosemary’s Baby and The Babadook. I also love the original Carrie, and the third Paranormal Activity, and The Butterfly Effect. Basically, anything psychological thriller/horror with tons of undertones of various issues. No jump scares for me. 

What are your favorite movies?

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

I'm trying to think of movies I can watch over and over. First that comes to mind is Gladiator. Then Shawshank Redemption. My mind is kind of blank to others right now but there are probably more. 

One movie l watch every year is "The Conqueror Worm", released in Europe as "The Witch-Finder  General". Rated the most violent movie of 1967 it is the reasonably accurate story of Matthew Hopkins who traveled around Cromwellian England burning women accused of being witches.

Quite Enjoyable.

Oh! And I don’t know if anyone’s seen The Village (Bryce Dallas Howard plays in it.) but that movie is also a favorite of mine. 

19 hours ago, notme said:

Lilo and Stitch

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Contact

I just realized I've got a theme going on.

Ok, also Cyrano de Bergerac, Pursuit of Happiness, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just to not always have alien visitors.

Me Before You

Everything, Everything

The Hate U Give (This is a really good movie I recommend it)

Birdbox - this move traumatised me but I found it pretty good

Central Intelligence - love it so funny

Jumanji - welcome to the jungle 

these r all I can think of rn

17 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

For me, I love Rosemary’s Baby and The Babadook. I also love the original Carrie, and the third Paranormal Activity, and The Butterfly Effect. Basically, anything psychological thriller/horror with tons of undertones of various issues. No jump scares for me. 

What are your favorite movies?

1. The Untouchables (greatest Chicago movie ever...I'm biased...lol)
  2. The Godfather Pt 2
  3. The Godfather Pt 1
  4. The Empire Strikes Back
  5. Gandhi

Lots of other, but that's my top 5.

When I want to give myself nightmares I watch these scenes:

[Mod Note: Profanity in title; 3rd video was removed]

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note

50 minutes ago, starlight said:

Am I the only one who doesn't watch movies? :book:

Not at all?

I watch TV/movies socially, rarely alone. So since I'm a recluse I rarely watch movies, but I still have some favorites.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, Kaya said:

♥♥♥ The Message (1976) ♥♥♥

Is it this film?

On 8/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, Hameedeh said:

Is it this film?

Yes. Though I know that there is a difference among the versions slightly. 

E. g. In the Farsi version, in the end Ali (عليه السلام) gets appointed as successor at the end. In the Arab version, Abu Bakr becomes caliph and says a sentence or so. 

But overall I found the movie to not be too biased towards Sunni or Shia. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, notme said:

Ok, also Cyrano de Bergerac, 

Did not know that was a movie. I saw Cyrano de Bergerac as a play and it was great.

BTW, I read that Disney is developing a movie ‘Cyrano the Moor’ that combines elements of Cyrano de Bergerac and Shakespeare’s Othello -- set in the Bristol region of England during the 19th century. 

Just now, Hameedeh said:

BTW, I read that Disney is developing a movie ‘Cyrano the Moor’ that combines elements of Cyrano de Bergerac and Shakespeare’s Othello -- set in the Bristol region of England during the 19th century. 

Interesting. I hope they do it well and respectfully.

The movie has been done a few times. It's usually pretty close to the play, which I've read but never seen. I like the one from 1990, which is in French and stars Gerard Depardieu, but that's probably because I saw it first.

7 hours ago, notme said:

Interesting. I hope they do it well and respectfully.

Salam based on my watching these reproduction of movies by Hollywood they ruin the original story but they makes such movies to action-drama movies with inappropriate drama with flavor of  homosexuality. 

5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam based on my watching these reproduction of movies by Hollywood they ruin the original story but they makes such movies to action-drama movies with inappropriate drama with flavor of  homosexuality. 

Yes, that's what I'm afraid will happen.

Salams

After the first two these movies won't be in any particular order

• Lawrence of Arabia -- as far as I'm concerned one of the best movies ever made and what my mind goes to when I think a perfect movie, albeit there is a lot to unpack regarding its portrayal of imperialism and historical accuracy (lack thereof in many instances esp. with its portrayal of the Arabs and their revolt).
  • The Message -- one of the best religious movies ever made. Everything about it is great, from the original score and cinematography to the straight-edge swords and Ethiopic murals in Abyssinia. The Iranian biopics of the Prophet haven't come close to being better movies, the heavy handedness of those films could never replace the subtle majesty of this film, and I firmly maintain that its sound score should have won an Oscar, not the first Star War's.
  •  The Goodfellas -- can't speak to its quality as a Chicago movie but it is a great gangster movie.
  • The Godfather movies (for the purposes of this thread they're a single entity).
  • The LOTR movies (for the purposes of this thread they're a single entity).
  • A Man for All Seasons -- Paul Scofeild is a great actor, another really great movie featuring him is Quiz Show. As a stage actor the depth he brings to Thomas More's character is unparalleled, can watch that movie a hundred times and never get enough.
  • Silence -- One of Scorsese's most underrated works, personally appreciate it more than the Goodfellas.
  • Bridge Over the River Kwai -- this one holds sentimental value for me as a film which my grandmother and I watched together, also in that same vein is A Passage to India.
  • The Hateful Eight -- My favourite movie by Tarantino, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are two close seconds but I enjoy The Hateful Eight the most.
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood
  • The Way Back -- while it decidedly isn't a perfect movie, rather it has a number of noticeable flaws, I still maintain it's a good movie and am personally interested in the locations depicted, Central Asian studies are a hobby of mine. It is a bit underwhelming but you can still feel the gargantuan scale of the journey depicted and the exhaustion of the characters.
  • Theeb -- I wouldn't say its my favourite but it certainly is a very great movie. I recommend it highly.

There are other movies I love or enjoy watching but these are movies that really just amazed me when I watched them, they made me think in some way, or I can watch them a million times and still enjoy them. As it regards horror movies while I enjoy watching them they hardly make the cut of great cinema (while you have some classics they'll always just be very good examples of horror movies, not exemplary films on their own), but I'll mention the Conjuring franchise as some that I enjoy. I'll also say The Passion of the Christ just because I enjoy studying the period depicted and the languages used in the movie, they have dialogue in Aramaic it's hard not to fall for the gimmick.

I like The Conjuring series. I’ve watched it about 8 times. 

The Hateful Eight was amazing as well. 

Shutter Island took me a while to understand the ending, it really played with my brain. 

1408 was good, I watch it when there’s nothing to do. 

John Wick was a great series.

Once Upon a Time in China is great if you like chinese movies.

Fearless another great chinese movie.